• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Saving Seeds

I have a fluorescent purple pepper that is a beautiful plant. I want to make sure that I have pure seeds to save for next year since this pepper plant looks so nice. How do I do this the best way? It is in the ground with other peppers planted next to it so isolation is not an option.

DaveinCoalinga said:
I have a fluorescent purple pepper that is a beautiful plant. I want to make sure that I have pure seeds to save for next year since this pepper plant looks so nice. How do I do this the best way? It is in the ground with other peppers planted next to it so isolation is not an option.

If the plant is in the ground with other pepper plants then the seeds wont be pure. You will have to try and see if you can clone the plant from cuttings or something along those lines. That being said, you will probably get pretty close to the same plant with the seeds if you decide to grow them.

When the pepper is at its ripest. Take out the seeds and let them dry out(or dry the pepper and then remove the seed...that's what I usually do). Then store the seeds in a cold, dark place(usually a plastic baggie in the refridgerator will do) until you need it.

imaguitargod said:
When the pepper is at its ripest. Take out the seeds and let them dry out(or dry the pepper and then remove the seed...that's what I usually do). Then store the seeds in a cold, dark place(usually a plastic baggie in the refridgerator will do) until you need it.

Thats what I have done with other kinds of peppers, I usually will just let one dry on the plant and save the seeds out of it. I will probably keep the plant over the winter because it is (for me at least) a pain in the neck to germinate. I was just thinking of any way to aviod cross pollination.

DaveinCoalinga said:
I was just thinking of any way to aviod cross pollination.
Keep them far away from any other breeds of peppers... :rolleyes:

You could wait for the flower to open and rub the pollen from another flower directly on it...but you'll have to do it the second that flower opens...and then you might....might.... get a true pepper...

Dave,
People I know use tule netting, it will stop the plants from crossing, you can do 1 branch or the whole plant.
I'll see if I can find a pic for you.
Marv

Back