• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

sauce help

ok so I made my first attempt to making a hot sauce. It was hot and had good flavor but it wasn't as then as I wanted it. I did add vinegar but I don't want to add anymore in fares it will make it taste to much like vinegar. How can I thin it out. (oh and I have a very cheap food processor if that makes a deference)

Add any type of liquid--water, fruit juices, simple syrups and the like. You can also grind up a couple pieces of fruit or veges. Is it time for a new food processor? Nothing is more frustrating than using older tools that have seen better days.Good luck!

:lol: $10 brand new?
shamwow-guy-mugshot-picture.jpg

You can try to put the sauce through a sieve or food mill to remove some of the pulp, but then you'll be using some of the goods of the sauce. Adding other liquids is the simplest to make it thinner.

Have Fun-
SL

Booooooo pulp = the peppers! SL, do you strain the tomatoes for your tomato sauce? :)

Any liquid will work. Don't be scared of vinegar it only has a bad rep because of overuse, not use! It is a necessity in hot sauce as far as I'm concerned. Gives it the tangy flavor needed to be hot sauce. Overuse = flavored vinegar = yuck. K?

Booooooo pulp = the peppers! SL, do you strain the tomatoes for your tomato sauce? :)

Any liquid will work. Don't be scared of vinegar it only has a bad rep because of overuse, not use! It is a necessity in hot sauce as far as I'm concerned. Gives it the tangy flavor needed to be hot sauce. Overuse = flavored vinegar = yuck. K?

Yep, I agree with keeping the pulp, but it is an option. I've used the food mill on a couple of sauces for the family cuz the kid has this phobia of eating the chile seeds ( :crazy:, but whaddya gonna do? ). So I run it through the food mill so he'll eat the sauce.

(ssshhhhhhh....don't tell him there are chile seeds in the fresh salsa ;) )

edit- there are many types of vinegar, not jus white and apple cider. Watch the pH though, some are lower than others. If you have a recipe with a good pH with one type of vinegar, you might need to adjust the amount of vinegar used if changed to a lower pH vinegar.

It's funny you should mention it. I grow a fair amount of San Marzanos and Italian tube tomatoes. For the thinnest of spaghetti I'll make a smooth sauce, the plum tomatoes have a heavy skin, ( helps when sundrying or smoking) I like to blanch and mill the skins and seeds, pulp passes thru. You're right pulp has all the flavor . Now on the other hand, my Grandmothers sauce, when I make it.....everything stays in...(except the pork neck bones)...ha I agree theres no reason to remove the seeds from the hot sauce, I leave them in my "Sweet Thai"...that gives it the nice "Visual Effect". Especially with a translucent type sauce. I admit I do remove most seeds when making other type sauces, some seeds are large especially from "Scotch Bonnets". Theres no flavor in them and I actually know a few people older than me.........yikes.....who enjoy the hot stuff but the seeds bother their digestive system. wrong or right, it's just the way I do it..... Greg

Ok thanks I guess I need to ph tester and just play with it... who knows what will happen maybe I will make something really good lol. Right now im just trying to make it hot. I think im on the right track on the heat side and the flavor itsn't bad. Ill put some pics up later today like I said its my first time every trying to make a sauce lol.

Deseeding is different that straining it. You can easily cut the pepper in half first and take the seeds out. Unlike with the tomato analogy. But straining the sauce after it's been cooking, I would not. Like has been said, the pulp is the peppers. Add (liquid) don't take away (peppers).

Well I left it as is beings this was my first sauce I just wanted to see what everyone thought about the taste. Everyone liked it. It had a really nice taste to it and it had really good heat at first but it went away within like 30 seconds (Is that normal or did a do something wrong?).

Edit: I read this and I sound ungrateful I do thank everyone for their input and I will use all the information given to me. Next time I am going to try to make 3 different batches and go from there. Thank you everyone for the input and keep it coming.

Apples and oranges. If you're doing a salsa cruda (or marinara!) - def. don't strain. If you're doing a pourable hot sauce; then yeah add more liquid, puree like crazy and strain. Nobody wants pepper seeds clogging up their perfect pour, much less chip a tooth on those bitter things. :banghead:

I don't need to strain to take seeds out, I de-seed first. All you have to do is cut the pepper in half and take the seeds out! Straining takes out more than seeds, like... peppers. Prep your peppers. De-seed, de-stem beforehand. Flesh goes in the pot.

De-seeding before hand isn't always possible when using commercial mashes. Also, with a good commercial-grade processor (or an awesome Vitamix blender!) your pepper pulp is liquified enough to mostly pass through the sieve - and bonus - you can dehydrate and grind up the strained solids into fantastic pepper powder seasoning. In my experience, when pouring hot sauce, pulp also tends to clog up the dripper fitment. Different strokes I guess, but I also don't dig pulp in my orange juice, so take my opinions w/ a grain of pulp. :whistle:

I don't need to strain to take seeds out, I de-seed first. All you have to do is cut the pepper in half and take the seeds out! Straining takes out more than seeds, like... peppers. Prep your peppers. De-seed, de-stem beforehand.

Back