• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

nutrients Running nutes through drip irrigation line?

I'm using the standard black line w/1GPH emitters.  I have a restricter at the faucet to maintain constant pressure.  I'll have to check the rating.  Is it possible to run my liquid nutes through the drip system?  If so, can someone provide a link to the hardware I would need?  What a time saver this would be.

juanitos said:
https://www.dripdepot.com/category/529cbe7275eb51467e9e0700

water soluble nutrients like masterblend, dyna gro foliage pro, general hydroponics, etc.
Man, that's not cheap! 

queequeg152 said:
this is what i do... but with soluble nutrients.

it would be much more difficult with something like compost tea.
Are you using something like what's in the link?  Why would a compost tea be much more difficult?

Typically for nutes you need hydroponic emitters. Otherwise the emitters clog. When you start talking about compost teas the problem is bigger. you are just opening yourself up for alot of maintance work.

Generally if you can have a fast moving fluid a feeder line will get sucked up mixing the fluid with whatever is in the feeder. aka beroullis principle
like this
http://www.instructables.com/id/Bernoullis-Principle/step11/Practical-Applications-Insecticide-Spray/

I would think that autmating the application of organic type nutes would take trial and error. Not saying don't do it but it will be act and react.

It seems to me that I've seen an attachment, a short piece of hose, basically, that splices into the main garden hose. The other end of the short hose goes into a bucket which holds the nutes. It's been a few years since I saw it, so I don't remember how to adjust the nute concentration.

Not sure how a liquid nute like Dynagro would clog anything, or any liquid nute. Maybe I'm missing something.

Roguejim said:
It seems to me that I've seen an attachment, a short piece of hose, basically, that splices into the main garden hose. The other end of the short hose goes into a bucket which holds the nutes. It's been a few years since I saw it, so I don't remember how to adjust the nute concentration.

Not sure how a liquid nute like Dynagro would clog anything, or any liquid nute. Maybe I'm missing something.
i was refering to the liquid organic stuff. teas and poop stews or what ever.

these have suspended solids... they will clog fine emitters.

Roguejim said:
Floranova and other thick cloudy nutrients (Earthjuice) can build up in the lines of drip or blumat systems. Some additives are notorious for clogging, H&G's Roots Excellerator and GH Rapid Start come to mind.

Alabama Jack had a system that integrated nutes with the irrigation, timers, quantity of nutes (different amounts)  Prolly from 5 years ago, but if you can find that post... Most of AJs systems were DIY, might be of help.

the small venturi setups only work at a particularly higher flow. if you are running a small system for like 20-50 plants with 1 gph drippers it won't have pressure / flow to suck up anything.

works great if you just hand water using a wand or are using a sprinkler that doesn't really restrict the flow though!

We run nutrients through our drip systems, but we use open basket stakes instead of PC-GPH drippers due to them clogging so often.  You can run clean nutes like GH 3-part, Cutting Edge 3-part, or even H&G Aqua but eventually you'll get salt build-up with those and run into problems.  Thick nutes like compost tea, GH FloraNova, GH Bio, etc.. will clog the drippers due to the thickness and size of the particles.  PC-GPH drippers will require a massive pump to get things moving well for medium sized setups because hydroponic pumps are designed for low pressure / high volume delivery.  Most PC-GPH drippers need 5-25 psi in order to work correctly, but the largest hydroponic pumps by ecoplus, mag drive, etc...only deliver 1.5-2.5 psi while delivering 2000+GPH.  We use industrial grade agricultural pumps that 2-4HP and are too expensive for what you are doing. 

Honestly, for 25-30 plants I would just mix and dump on feed days.  Use the drip system for normal waterings and feed the plants by hand.  It will be easier and cheaper in the end.

Jim,

I can only use my own experience as a basis, but I have been using the EZ-Flo in-line unit for a few years now and am just using Jacks as the fertilizer and it seems to work just fine.  This is going to each plant via 2 different methods.  In my large garden area, I have drip line, which has .8- GPH emitters every 12 inches, and on my smaller garden I have the drip emitters 1 for each of the plants.  If I remember correctly, they are 2.0 GPH emitters.  No problems yet with any clogging, but again, this has only been used for 2 years so far.  It does make the job a lot easier every other week!

I do not run any AACT through it, that I put on each plant manually, as it is pretty much full of small particles and I am sure it would plug things up. 

Just my 2 cents

willard3 said:
If you stick to liquid hydro nutrients and dodge any "organic" nutrients, your system will work with way less maintenance/cleaning
I want to concur. I consider anyone who successfully runs an organic hydro system, without a lot of maintanance, a wizard. If I thought they could be killed I would burn them at the stake

Back