• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Roasted Tomatillo-Chipotle Sauce

My wife loves this and I had 9 pounds of tomatillos from the last harvest of the season.  This is the end result.

Tomatillos, garlic, chipotles.

Roasted tomatillos.

IMAG0505-small.jpg

More tomatillos and garlic.
IMAG0506-small.jpg

Cooking down.
IMAG0507-small.jpg

The finished product.  Pressure canned for 25 minutes due to altitude.

IMAG0516-small.jpg

:drooling: i tried growing purple tomatillos and purple jalapeños this year to make a purpley sauce like that, but the tomatillos didn't do so well.

This has made me want to run to the store and buy some tomatillos to make this now! 

Rawkstah said:
:drooling: i tried growing purple tomatillos and purple jalapeños this year to make a purpley sauce like that, but the tomatillos didn't do so well.

This has made me want to run to the store and buy some tomatillos to make this now! 

My first year growing tomatillos was not good either.  Then I learned tomatillos are self pollinating, but they self incompatible...so they need 2 or more plants to cross pollinate.

I planted 2 plants the following year and I had more tomatillos than I could use in 3 years...there were so many the weight of them broke the plants, even when staked multiple times.

Try two plants next time, if you already had two...I got nothing :)

Thanks for the tip!  I only did have one plant this year, and the tomatillos were the size of large blueberries.  (kinda looked like blueberries too because they were purple)  If I try next year I will definitely plant two!

Back