• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Repotting

When do you repot the pepper plants? The ones in the pictures below are the biggest that I have and are currently in 4" pots. When should I step up to a larger size?

The one on the left is from a mixed package called Cooks Custom Hot Mix. It could be a Anaheim, Jalapeno M, Hungarian Wax, Long Slim Red Cayenne, or a Serrano. I have no idea which one it is and wont until it produces. The one on the right is a Cayenne Long Red. It's producing turning out to be more bush like than all the others I have as well.

DSCN3422.jpg

Another of the Cayenne Long Red.

DSCN3423.jpg

Neil

They look nice !!. Check the side of the root ball

btw, this plant could have used a repot sooner but i wanted to keep them small to fit in my indoor room

img6484.jpg

I've put 2 inch seedlings in 5 gallon pots before, worked out fine. I always think sooner is better than later because they slow down a little when root bound.

Chili can grow that size pot about 50-60cm,in right care.
I've 3-4 dl pots and biggest plants are now 50cm and flowering.
Some my tomatos are same size pots too and they are also 40-50cm tall.
Right fertilizing and watering there's no proplem at all.

Wow, that's for the replies all. It looks like I can get by with the way the are now for some time then. That's actually pretty good news, my family is planting like mad and we're quickly running out of room :(. Seems as though everyone figured that the empty room created after I expanded the shelving unit meant that I wanted them to sow another 200 seeds of flowers etc.

Chilicutter, wonder what your plant would look like if it was in a 1-3 gallon pot. Probably have a couple hundred pods on it.

You are right.
But i have no more room inside house.
When i can move chillis out i repot all my chillis bigger pots.
But you can grow chilis really small pot;)

I have some Hot Wax and Banana peppers in 3" containers that have blooms, buds and peppers on them! Short, bushy plants. They have been outside for close to three weeks now. I plan on planting some of them this coming week as well as selling (Hopefully!) most of the rest on Thursday.

Mike

I've put a few of the peppers I want to overwinter this year in bigger pots and they are doing pretty good. Seemed to take off after I put them in bigger pots. BUT I've since got a few more seed varieties from Ottawapepper and now have to reconsider what I want to keep indoors :).

Instead of just the regular garden variety peppers, I now have some Bishop's Crown, Jamaican Red, Jamaican Yellow, Billy Goat Red, Ethiopian Berbere, Hungarian Hot and Habanero Paper Lantern. I also have some of the Mystery Pepper Seeds coming from Junglerain. I'm pretty stoked about getting them all going too, but I don't have the room :(

From what I've found online, most of them can be kept in a container and still do alright. Like I said, I have to reconsider what I want to keep in pots :).

Beside those, all of my original peppers have a number of buds on them and most are still in the original 4" pots. I've been pinching the buds for some time now, but when do you stop pinching them? I have no idea how long it takes for them to actually produce a pepper. Any advice?

bigt said:
I have this pic on another thread also: http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=11676&page=2

Fresno pepper planted May 2, germinated May 9th and up potted on May 12th. The faster they get outside, the faster they grow IMO.

Is keeping the outside even better than keeping them in a 400 watt M/H inside? I'm growing out my seedlings now and I know they are about that big, but read that it's best to put them outside when they are at least 6" in size.

LGHT said:
Is keeping the outside even better than keeping them in a 400 watt M/H inside? I'm growing out my seedlings now and I know they are about that big, but read that it's best to put them outside when they are at least 6" in size.

IMO, outside ASAP if weather is good, but they have to be hardened. The longer they stay inside on artificial light, the longer it takes to harden them outdoors. These Fresnos saw no artificial light ever. They were germinated on a heat mat and went outside in shade immediately. You run a risk when you plant super small seedlings in the ground, but when they're in pots you can protect them from wind, rain and extreme sun as needed. Plus you give your electric bill a break. Jan, Feb and March are different - too cold to go out for me here in VA.

bigt said:
IMO, outside ASAP if weather is good, but they have to be hardened. The longer they stay inside on artificial light, the longer it takes to harden them outdoors.

Wow that's the first time I've read that! Almost everything else says wait until the stalk is thick and strong first or at least 6" before putting them outside, but it doesn't really specify pot or ground? I guess if your putting it in the ground you can't just pick it up and put it inside as needed to protect it from the weather. I have put my other 12 that are around 4-8" in pots outside and they look great. I think I'll take a few of each seedling and put them in larger pots and let them go outside to see how they do. The weather has been very nice here in Cali, but a little windy so they should be ok. This will give me some room to start another batch of seeds under the MH lights.

I've had mixed results with plants being too small when they first go outside. Sometime they catch and grow to be big plants other times they stay stunted. I will however sow many seeds outside this summer just because it's free and I like taking care of seedlings. Farmers direct sow their seed in the fields.

Wow, do you think you could've found a bigger pot? :lol: Seriously though, I can't remember how many times I've heard about "double the pot size or they'll die" repotting theory. Seems as though you jumped from seedling to full size pot right off the bat bigt!

Back