Recommendations for a Noob

It has positives and negatives for sure, for instance, I'm looking forward to baking bread/desserts in it in the coming weeks for that reason ...

First attempt at a whole chicken via indirect heat.  Did the beer can chicken.  Came out very good.  I have another chicken.  Will do the same way but this next time I will brine it the night before.  Top of grill is pretty rotten.

QSGjf7k.jpg

Thanks for that great article.  I am a grilling noob so it makes sense to me that I fell into that trap.  So, I am guessing that I can just lay the chicken flat on the grill and it won't change things at all. I liked the idea of cooking the chicken standing up on a can, but if it doesn't make a difference, then no need.  I had done the half can of beer without any seasonings in the beer.  I look forward to trying out brining.  That will happen this week. 

Thanks again for the article.  These things are very helpful.

OK.  I cooked a whole small chicken on indirect heat again using the "Beer Can Chicken" method.  I did knowingly waste some beer since I now know that the beer does not impart any flavor to the chicken.  I know it is a crime, but I wanted to do things exactly the way I did last time.  The only difference was that I brined the whole chicken overnight.  The brine I used was 1 gallon of water, 3/4 cup kosher salt and 2/3 cup light brown sugar.  I stirred to dissolve the salt and sugar, rinsed the chicken and then dumped it in and let it sit overnight.   It was amazing the difference.  The chicken was awesome!  The family loved it.  I don't know if I can ever grill chicken again without brining it first.  Here is a pic, looks just like last time...
PRYagff.jpg

Also, I purchased a "smoker".  I put it in quotes because I am sure people will be hating on the unit that I bought.  Amazingribs.com does not like it either.  I decided I would start out by buying an electric smoker by Masterbuilt.  Yep, not well made, I don't expect it to last forever.  My thought process is that I should learn a little about smoking first and use a smoker that is probably the most brain dead to use.  I am not a master of using charcoal yet so I didn't want to over complicate things yet.  The unit was $149 at Ace Hardware.  Not bad.  I will start smoking and see how far this gets me.  If I enjoy it, I will want to move on to a better unit and I will be ready for it.  Thanks to all for advice.  I know I didn't necessarily take the advice as far as the smoker is concerned, but I will eventually.  You guys are awesome!
5KHm4ns.jpg

Point is you are now in the game.
The rest is all bullshit,move up to a solid unit
that isnt picky on fuel choices.
I have one I use the most and it has 4 cooking services,two are gas and two are stick burner for under $400 from SAMS Club
Impulse buy yes,never a regret some 4 yrs later.
Literally use it 3-4 days a week.

When its game face time I run the "TANK"
Its a single purpose "smoker" that runs stricly on wood.
It has done a single 285lb sow,most are much closer to 185lb but the TANK will hold alot of meat.
Heat control is the trick,the rest is unlimited easy.

grantmichaels said:
Those can be really enjoyable - look forward to seeing your pics to see what it produces for you.

I check out this one every so often - https://amzn.com/B0079TOHNQ

Thinking it would be a nice faux tandoor ...

Thanks!  I am going to start with some ribs this weekend.  Hopefully, I can start out on the right foot...

TNKS said:
Point is you are now in the game.
The rest is all bullshit,move up to a solid unit
that isnt picky on fuel choices.
I have one I use the most and it has 4 cooking services,two are gas and two are stick burner for under $400 from SAMS Club
Impulse buy yes,never a regret some 4 yrs later.
Literally use it 3-4 days a week.

When its game face time I run the "TANK"
Its a single purpose "smoker" that runs stricly on wood.
It has done a single 285lb sow,most are much closer to 185lb but the TANK will hold alot of meat.
Heat control is the trick,the rest is unlimited easy.

Heat control is definitely the thing I hope this smoker takes out of the equation.  I should just be able to set the required temp and let it go.  I am thinking that I will at least make average tasting smoked meats.  What is the make/model of your smoker?

Hey never apologize for loving BBQ my friend!! Just run what ya brung! :) Have patience no peeking remember if yer looking yer not cooking. Right down time and temps of your cooks in the beginning with a new cooker this really helps to dial it in. I even record outdoor temp.
Purchase a good quality dual probe thermometer wireless and control all cooks by temp.
Also record internal temps for each protein you cook this help to find the perfect balance for each particular protein your cooking.
Keep your cooker clean dirty cooker leads to a poor finished product and will limit the life of the unit.

Remember even your fails will taste miles better then your typical chain BBQ joint. And practice is delicious!
Have fun and again patience patience patience patience to many cook try to rush it. Keep it southern style Dang Ole Low And Slow! :) BBQ is done when it wants to be. So allow more time then you think in the beginning to many cook think a cook will be done in 8 hours and 12 hours later still waiting. Getting a handle on time. Comes with experience!!

Just my two!! :)

This is my go-to daily cooker
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/smoke-hollow-4-in-1-combo-grill/prod3920115.ip
My big rig"Tank" is a 250gal propane tank from the 1950's
5/8" thick steel,off set fire box(3/8" plate steel 24"X24" square)on a two axle 16' self built trailer.
4" Oilfield drill pipe stack for a vent
bpiela said:

Thanks!  I am going to start with some ribs this weekend.  Hopefully, I can start out on the right foot...

Heat control is definitely the thing I hope this smoker takes out of the equation.  I should just be able to set the required temp and let it go.  I am thinking that I will at least make average tasting smoked meats.  What is the make/model of your smoker?

FWIW
I NEVER NOR WILL I EVER CLEAN inside a smoker rig
Bringing rigs up to temp is all they ever need,you wash'em you wash away all that experience(seasoning)
Takes some a good while to learn this,want the "edge" dont wash anything inside of your cooker,heat it to clean it.
Not a single respectable Q shack has ever washed their smoke boxs,we have some in Texas pushing 80 yrs
Proof is there

TNKS said:
FWIW
I NEVER NOR WILL I EVER CLEAN inside a smoker rig
Bringing rigs up to temp is all they ever need,you wash'em you wash away all that experience(seasoning)
Takes some a good while to learn this,want the "edge" dont wash anything inside of your cooker,heat it to clean it.
Not a single respectable Q shack has ever washed their smoke boxs,we have some in Texas pushing 80 yrs
Proof is there
Hahaha not saying to clean inside just keep your rig clean. Don't want to mess with that seasoning on the inside. Brother that's a pip. Just a clean up yer racks after a cook I don't run mine hot enough to burn off any residual proteins. On my smoker but on my grill I usually let her run till the grates burn clean. I also keep my prep area spotless and give my cooker a wipe down once and awhile. Including checking the chimneys for any build up. But that's just me and the crew I cook with here in South Carolina
Think ya took my advice a little to over the top. Just trying to let someone new to the process pick-up good habits. Hahaha now if you Texans don't mind I gotta go have my smoker steamed sandblasted waxed and buffed before bed! :)

Any decent cook knows to clean as you go
Always keep your station surfaces clean for food work
I do know and have seen many that do wash down their rigs(inside and out)

"steamed sandblasted waxed and buffed before bed"

:rofl: :rofl:

I dont ;)
Went to an event today(cook off)
53 teams
8/10 had cooking rigs that looked like Pro Bass Boats :rofl: :rofl:
Top three that placed had "smokers" :onfire: :party: :onfire:
 I LOVE quality Q!! :cool:

If you require versatile buy a rig for versatile
If your SMOKEN go balls deep and SMOKE with it(no cleaning)
If I do pizza its going to have influences not noted in the recipe origin
Nothing like a pie crust flavored with pork butt,brisket,sausage of days passed
Mmmmmmm

Sorry brother but my rigs are job specific. Always lived by the right tool for the job.
Just don't understand your reasoning behind not keeping your smokers clean. Never been to a competition were guy's had a nasty smoker. Or there grates are covered with old dried proteins. Maybe in an old establishment with 50 plus years the same cooker but even those here have there grates cleaned. But I keep all my cookers clean and do check my chimney for any soot buildup to make sure I don't have any airflow issues.

Well I guess different smoke's fer different folks!!

Fighting Mold in Your Smoker or Grill
By Meathead Goldwyn
It's pretty shocking when the rip off the cover off your cooker in spring to discover the interior is covered in white fuzz. Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) owners are especially vulnerable to this jolt.
moldy Weber Smokey Mountain
That's because mold loves moisture and grease. When you are done with a cook, superheat your cooker. Add fresh coal if necessary. Burn off all that food residue. Scrape grease off the interior with a plastic putty knife regularly, especially if you don't plan to use it for a while. Store your cooker with the vents open and in a dry place so moist air is not trapped inside. On the WSM, remove the side door.
One of the major causes of mold is your cover! It traps moisture that causes mold and rust. If your grill or smoker is tight and well painted or stanless steel, don't use a cover! If you have a cheap unit with spraypaint, or a unit that leaks like the lid on the Weber Smokey Mountain, then you must use a cover. Otherwise, leave your cooker nekkid. I will not fall apart.
If you do get mold, and you have a ceramic cooker, do not use chlorine or solvents, do not powerwash, and do not use a metal scraper or a wire brush on the ceramic parts. Heat is your only tool. If you have a grill or smoker made of metal and you have a mold infestation, here's what to do:
1) Discard any charcoal, lava rocks, ceramic briquets, or other porous materials.
2) Fire it up as hot as possible to kill it and burn off all grease and mold. Use a double load of charcoal. If you try to scrape it off or powerwash first you might inhale a lot of spores and have an allergic reaction, and you will still have a lot of mold on the floor.
3) Let it cool and now scrape and scrub everything in sight with a wire brush or a pressure washer. Remove parts and scrape or pressure wash them. The only desirable grease is elbow grease.
4) Then wash everything down with soapy water. Then rinse thoroughly.
5) Finally, fire it up one last time to burn off any mold, grease, and soap residue. You're now ready to cook. Click here to learn more about setting up your Weber Smokey Mountain, setting up your charcoal grill, and setting up your gas grill.

These guy left there smokers dirty! :) This is from the pro's!

Back