• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Recipe for Sweet Chili sauce?

I love all kinda of hot sauces but one I've never found that tasted good without adding additional hot sauce is supermarket sweet chili sauce. I like the concept but always find the flavor lacking.

Anyway, reason I am asking instead of just whipping up a batch is because I was talking to a friend who said the same thing, problem is all the recipes I can find are thickened with a starch slurry (like cornstarch, tapioca starch...) And she's allergic to most of that stuff to the point where she can't remember what bread tasted like.

So, anyone know of a recipe because I'm drawing a blank.

James

I've found that the sweet chili sauces imported from Thailand that I pick up at Asian markets are a lot more flavorful (albeit not spicy) than the sweet chili sauces that I can find at a standard supermarket. The chili sauces at the asian markets usually have a nice garlic addition that is lacking in most domestic offerings. They're pretty cheap too; I got a 32 oz bottle for $4.
As far as making some at home, if your friend is allergic to a lot of those starches, you should try substituting arrowroot powder for cornstarch in the recipes you've found. It is gluten free and tasteless. I use it anytime that I need to quickly thicken up sauces when I don't have time to do a reduction. Any bulk grocery store or health grocery should have it. I picked up about 1/4 lb for $1.25, have used it about 25 times and haven't put a dent in the container.

Red peppers, shallots, sugar, kaffir lime leaves, salt, lime juice, guar gum.

First off, thanks for the feedback. Sorry it took me this long to get back online (computer trouble.)

I did find a recipe that would work for her and thought I'd post another one I found as well. It'll be in the cooking w/fire section.

Now off to work,
James

Back