• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

greenhouse Quick and easy IKEA Greenhouse

Just found this beauty the other day, and this site is going to be a new daily-reader for me, but this tutorial in particular basically allows you to make a reusable greenhouse from storage containers from Ikea.

http://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/04/greenhouse-la-elk.html

The frosted white might soften the light and not overwhelm the plants as well, incase you're like me, growing in a basement with no windows under CFL's and taking the stable sprouts gradually into full sun (which has worked for me for the most part so far). Sample pic from tutorial:

samla-gwh-1-701937.jpg

Anyway, enjoy.

The greenhouse will work, but there is no air circulation which will be a problem. Plants like all living things need oxygen and they will get very little from inside with that small whole at the top. Will they live yes. Will they thrive probably not.

From what the picture looks like, there's a hole cut out in the center, where probably the molding flash used to be, also on the left hand lid, i can see two holes drilled at the bottom of the molded lines, so there may in fact be circulation in this case, but even if not, then I'm sure anyone can just dremel a few in enough to have proper air flow.

Also, all four walled corners at the top of the lid have a hole drilled in each one it looks like.

Lol, well that's one way to look at it, but in either case you don't want to seal up the whole thing and make it a sauna, then everytime you open the lid the difference in humidity might shock the plants and all their leaves will fall off and have to regrow. Keeping air holes in the cover balances the air inside closer to the air in the room they are in, so it's less stress on the plants. I'm no scientist but that's my educated guess on the reasoning for air circulation.

Possibly, it really all depends, I know some of my plants if not kept in a terrarium in my office over the weekend dry up too quick. This kind of setup would make it easier for me to keep my plants humid until I come back on mondays. Everyone has a different setup, I just shared this since that site has a few pretty cool DIY hacks just using Ikea parts, so I posted it.

That looks good for humidity when they're sprouting but after that I would take the dome off so they can get more light. That would also be a nice little setup for putting the plants outside early when temperatures are a little on the low side and would be useful for hardening them off since you could just take the lid off for a few hours at a time. I don't see any need to keep them dome on when they're indoors though. I don't get why the guy (the guy who wrote the blog not IAmFCon) is using the dome when his plants are in front of a window. The light coming through a window is already very weak no reason to weaken it further. Between the window and the plastic his plants must be growing very slowly from lack of light.

Yeah that's true, he's basically sacrificing light for high humidity at that point. I went a cheaper way recently, got myself a Burpee brand seed starter. Less than $6 (about $5 and change) got me a 36-slot tray with a tray it sits in to keep water retention, a terrarium top, and 36 coir pellets to start, and replacement sets of 36 pellets are $3 a box, all gotten at lowes. So far I'm optimistic, I prefer these a hell of a lot more than peat pots, they dry out way too quick, and if you forget to check it once every 24 hours, your sprouts may already be dead.

Nice name Avon, I actually just started watching The Wire little by little, so unless that's your real name, I got the reference ;)

wait.. i thought we breath O2 and they breath Co2

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen01/gen01854.htm

"Cellular respiration (process that uses oxygen to break sugar into energy for life functions) and photosynthesis (green plants converting sunlight energy into sugars using water and carbon dioxide) are distinct and separate processes. Animals only use cellular respiration. Plants do not have muscles and the other functions necessary in animals functioning that require a high levels of oxygen. Plants also CAN NOT take the energy directly for their energy needs from photosynthesis. Photosynthesis produces a far greater amount of oxygen and sugars, etc. then the small amount the plant requires to produce its energy needs. OK - but only during the day when the sun light is available! During the night, the plant actually uses oxygen it has left over from the daylight photosynthesis or takes the oxygen from the air surrounding the plant to meet its energy needs. This is not nearly the amount of oxygen an animal needs over the same period of time. To answer your question, during the day the plant produces far more oxygen from photosynthesis than it produces carbon dioxide from cellular respiration. It is a waste gas and if not expelled from the plant, can cause serious harm. Since plants do not utilize large amounts of oxygen over a twenty-four hour period (ideal conditions, winter is another issue), oxygen wins. It is a good thing too, for ALL the oxygen in the atmosphere is the result of plants producing far more oxygen than they need!!! Take a deep breath! I hope this helps."

Back