• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

indoor PVC indoor grow shelf with floro tubes

Hi everyone,

I just ordered a crapload of seeds for 2010 and will be starting them indoors next month to get a huge headstart for 2010. I am going to build a grow shelf using PVC pipe (probably 1.5"), most likely 3 shelves, 4' wide, 2' deep, and 6' or 7' high. I will most likely hang some florescent tube fixtures on each level.

To give an idea of what I'm talking about check out http://www.pvcplans.com/pvc-pipe.htm, fourth row down. I will likely box mine in with some white board or curtains or something, and add a fan, etc.

I have read tonnes of posts about lighting but there is so much information and many opinions. I am comfortable starting with floro tubes on a budget since this is my first shot at growing indoors. I am wondering how many tubes and what wattage for each I should use on each level.

I came across some 4' fixtures that each hold 4 tubes, shop ceiling style lights with no reflectors. I'm thinking that 4 tube fixtures would be good for uniform light over the depth of each level. The next question would be what kind of tubes? I am ok with using conventional tubes as long as they'll give me the blue light I'll need for growing up the pants before going outside when it's warm enough.

Am I on the right track? Thanks for any input.

I used aquarium tubes and had pretty good results but they're a bit on the dear side if you're sticking to a budget. I think a lot of guys on here get good results with ordinary tubes though. I'm sure someone else can help you a bit more.

for my seedlings I use standard 40 watt 6500K bulbs

my seedling grow area is only 18-20" wide and 8' long...just enough to fit a 20 count tray of 3" square containers....I can put 160 on each shelf and have three shelves...I have four standard 2 bulb shoplights on each shelf...since you are building new, I would recommend looking at the size of the containers and holders you are going to use and build "custom" fit to them...no use to have a 24" wide shelf when your holders are only 18" wide IMO...

Good point about the build, AJ. I was planning on building the shelf last, to fit what lights I manage to scrounge up but didn't give much thought yet to the tray size.

Do your seedlings crowd each other and get leggy being so close to each other or do they not have to stay under lights for very long (nice Texas weather)?

they don't get leggy if I keep the lights really close to the tops of the plants, but that is a must...I actually put my lights about 1/4" from the tops and have to move them some times every day....they stay under the lights from the time they come out of the germinator and are transplanted (usually February) until the end of march/first of april at plantout...

definitely stagger your seed planting...plant your chinense varieties first then follow with your annuums about a month later...annuums grow like wildfire...

I use standard nursery flat trays to hold my containers - they are 21" x 10.5". Two shop lights will easily cover four trays or 72-144 seedlings.

To help keep plants from getting leggy, go very light on any ferts with a lot of Nitrogen and also keep the temps cooler.

Mike

Thanks again for the info and advice guys.

AJ, are your tubes T8 or T12? I'm browsing some fixtures online and everything I'm seeing on homedepot.ca for T8 fixtures calls for 32 watt tubes (likely their maximum).

rshortt said:
Thanks again for the info and advice guys.

AJ, are your tubes T8 or T12? I'm browsing some fixtures online and everything I'm seeing on homedepot.ca for T8 fixtures calls for 32 watt tubes (likely their maximum).

40 watt T-12 6500K tubes...standard and right at $20 for a 10 pack

I like cheap up front.....

Back