Purple Mako akokosrade??

Bou

Extreme Member
First time grower of Mako akokosrade so I wasn't exactly sure what to expect but I was kinda surprised to see purplish seedlings like those 2.

I thought they should grow more on the green side but since I haven't found much pictures to compare with it's hard to tell. For those who have grown this pepper, what was the color of your plants? Got the seeds  from WHP (non-isolated); maybe they were just mislabeled or an accidental cross with something else... Thanks!

Attachments

• MakoAkos (2).JPG
    MakoAkos (2).JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 92
I haven't grown the mako akokosrade, but it's not uncommon at all for a sprout's cotyledons to tinge dark, but then the plant grows a normal green.  Can't say for sure, but that's what that looks like to me.  I have a Yellow Bhut that does that every time and I'm always a bit disappointed when it goes green, because the dark tinging looks so cool.

BTW, your sprouts look really awesome like that.  

CaneDog said:
I haven't grown the mako akokosrade, but it's not uncommon at all for a sprout's cotyledons to tinge dark, but then the plant grows a normal green.  Can't say for sure, but that's what that looks like to me.  I have a Yellow Bhut that does that every time and I'm always a bit disappointed when it goes green, because the dark tinging looks so cool.

BTW, your sprouts look really awesome like that.  

I knew the opposite was quite common but first time for me. Glad to hear that cause I was thinking of discarting them and start over again with some of the remaining seeds, even if I must admit to be curious about how they'll turn out! Thanks a lot CD!!

2 weeks update: new leaves on the selected (stronger) plant are still showing some purple... Stay tuned!

Attachments

• Mako_akokosrade_purple2.JPG
    Mako_akokosrade_purple2.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 75
BrendanPicante said:
I'm terribly interested in how these are doing!

Hi Brendan, well as Datil predicted, the more it grows, the greener it becomes but it still exhibits some purple shades around the edge of the leaves, as shown in my last picture.

Makos taste awesome, and very unique in my opinion!

Worthwhile to grow for sure. One I am looking for myself now that Im out of the concrete jungle and into the sticks, finally. Thank you for the reminder to add it to the list, Ive been plantless for a few years now and although this years garden became staple heavy, 2021 will be fun stuff.

Woot, the forum looks alive and well! Good luck with your grow!

AaronB said:
Makos taste awesome, and very unique in my opinion!

Worthwhile to grow for sure. One I am looking for myself now that Im out of the concrete jungle and into the sticks, finally. Thank you for the reminder to add it to the list, Ive been plantless for a few years now and although this years garden became staple heavy, 2021 will be fun stuff.

Woot, the forum looks alive and well! Good luck with your grow!

Mildfruit said:

Nice! Seems like a great variety you've got your hands on  :party:

Hey guys, I just remembered that I have plenty of seeds left as I received some as freebies too (all from Justin at WHP)!! If you want some, just let me know and I'll send you a Christmas card!! ;)

I would love a few seeds, but I wont have space this season so let me hit you up this fall. I want to be able to offer so.ething back so Im testing my old seed stock for germ rates over the summer and putting a trade list together at some point. Thanks for the offer and Ill be in touch!

Bou said:

Hey guys, I just remembered that I have plenty of seeds left as I received some as freebies too (all from Justin at WHP)!! If you want some, just let me know and I'll send you a Christmas card!! ;)

Well heck. I will take you up on this in a heartbeat. Mako has been a fave of mine for a few years. I don't know how to navigate this page very well so here's my email:

swellfella12@gmail.com

I'm not sure what I have in my stock anymore for trade, but I feel like I have a few rarities left!

Reactions: Bou
BrendanPicante said:
Well heck. I will take you up on this in a heartbeat. Mako has been a fave of mine for a few years. I don't know how to navigate this page very well so here's my email:

swellfella12@gmail.com

I'm not sure what I have in my stock anymore for trade, but I feel like I have a few rarities left!

Email sent, check your spam folder if you don't see it!

Back