• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Purira-To Die For

This year, amoung the 13+ different varities that I am growing, I have a set up Purira peppers. Today, two of them finished rippening and I tried them..OH MY GOD THESE ARE GOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!

Has anyone else the pleasure of eating one of these?

The first bite of the bottom end of one was just pure heaven! Really sweet, almost like a cooked Bell Pepper. I also got a tingle of heat from the second bite. I'll exparament with this more(mainly when I have some more beer to 'help' with the heat) tonight and post some results tomarrow.

I have seen it popping up a lot too. How are they when you get to the seeds? Does the heat overpower the taste? Bear in mind I was out munching on my tabascos that just ripened.

DaveinCoalinga said:
How are they when you get to the seeds?
Don't know, haven't gotten to the seeds yet, that's one of the thing's I'll post about.

DaveinCoalinga said:
Does the heat overpower the taste?
Not yet, but like I said above.... :)

DaveinCoalinga said:
Bear in mind I was out munching on my tabascos that just ripened.
That's what I was doing with my Thai Dragon's when I said to myself, "Self, you should really stop talking to yourself." Then I said to myself, "Shut up and look for more ripe peppers. Oh look! Two ripe Puriras!".

Aw man I hate a tease. But I do understand running out of refreshments and deciding to wait until a later time. This is one type of pepper that I have on my list to grow next year which is why I am curious.

Ok if you have these seeds, plant them, if you don't have seeds...find them and then plant them! This is a great pepper!

They taste like cooked red bell peppers(the whole fruit, not just the tip). If you are used to heat, you get a slight tingle that lasts about a minute, if not, then these will have you sweating with your tounge hanging out for abnout 5 minutes(as Inoticed with my fellow gardener, Dave).

The seeds do not impact the taste at all. I ate a section with seeds and there was much more heat, enough to make my tounge hurt for about 5 minutes but not enough to get me sweating.

I really am excited about this pepper and plant because I've got about 20 of these plants. They produce like crazy and are small, bushy trees. I've got one plant with at least 15 peppers on it, I'm going to have a butt load of these peppers!!!!!!

They will be on my list for next year for sure. I think I am done for this year though, my wife is getting a tad annoyed at me for the ever increasing size of my garden. But maybe another few feet larger won't hurt.

Sounds good. Does it have a medium to thick flesh? I like to grill or saute alot of my more mildly hot peppers. In the past I have used Hot Hungarian Wax, Hot Cherry, Jalapenos, etc. But I am looking for something a little hotter. But not scorching because I like to (for example) fill half of my fajita or taco with the sauted peppers. Heat with quantity.

This is a purira I got from the cook in a chinese restaurant.

It is a second gen clone and makes lots of small, intensely picante fruit.....
Plant is 9 yrs old.

purira.jpg

Puriras are great! Even the yellow (unripe) ones are tasty. Very nice medium-low heat pods with really good overall flavor. Sometimes I'll blend in something a little sharper and slightly hotter, but not too much, don't want to overpower the purira taste. Anytime we've grown these, the plants were all very prolific till frost. brookthecook

What color should they be when they are ripe? I have 3 of these plants planted myself. I am new to this, figured I would try planting some pepper plants this year. I have some other ones planted if anyone could tell me what color they should be when they are ready to be picked, they are:

Golden Cayenne
Ring of Fire
Rattlesnake
Inferno
Red Devils Tongue

If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it.

crebbs said:
What color should they be when they are ripe? I have 3 of these plants planted myself. I am new to this, figured I would try planting some pepper plants this year. I have some other ones planted if anyone could tell me what color they should be when they are ready to be picked, they are:

Golden Cayenne
Ring of Fire
Rattlesnake
Inferno
Red Devils Tongue

If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it.
Welcome! The ring of fire matures to red and the Devils tounge also matures to red.

Back