• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Protecting Peppers From Birds?

bineli-shotgun-620x278.jpg

'Nough said. . .

Built a cage with PVC and put bird netting on them to protect my peppers that are fruiting from birds. Could try an owl, but we don't have much owls in Hawaii and I heard it doesn't work here. I would use a shotgun, but I would get arrested...LoL

somebody say PVC frame with netting...well, this netting is 50% shade cloth...

053010a005.jpg

if you look closely at the pic you will see that her eyes are closed but her ears are up. this means that my bird control system is running in energy saving mode.

I believe nets are your only good way. I had an awful time with birds eating my tomatoes (didn't bother my peppers) last year due to over a month of 105 plus temps and drought. I've tried the owl decoy etc. but birds catch on to it after a couple of days. I had 2 almost ripe tomatoes at the end of the season and I went outside and there was a nice big hole from a bird on the one. It was freshly done because it was juicey and it was 110 outside. So I pulled it off and stuck in on the deck railing so it could just go ahead and eat that one. Not 10 minutes later I went back outside and the stupid bird started eating on the other one I left on the plant and didn't mess with the one on the rail. Needless to say I was pissed and went and bought a net and never had another issue.

i've never had a problem with them on peppers... netting is the only way to keep them off of the blackberries however.

i have 23 chickens and hawks and vulters that want to eat my chickens. i break open peppers and throw them in the buckets,ground ect. only problem ive ever had is chickens eating seedlings.. but ill also kill a nosey chicken and eat it

2012-02-04175737.jpg

This is what I have so far for my small sized peppers.....Tabasco, Birds Eye, Hawaiian Chili, Thai Short and Long, and Jalepeno.

Back