• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

ProMix Question

For those of you that use ProMix, simple question.

What is your method of re-hydrating the soil when you re-pot your seedling in to the ProMix?

I put it into a flat with water and nutes, let it sit until it gets heavy (i.e. it feels like it has been watered) then I spray the top of the soil lightly to settle the dust. From there it should be good to go under the lights.

I do a similar thing to MGOLD. I mix it in with 4 parts ProMix to 1 part Happy Frog in a big tub by hand. Then I pour a couple gallons of water in and let it set. I then remix the next day.

Bit drunk but heck ill chime in lol any mix with organic materials such as loam will have oils. A larger operation would use blenders or cement mixera to force water in. On a small scale ill take my mix and force water into it by hand. You can do the flat idea but its just a matter of displacement and or forcing water in.

Thanks for the responses guys. I got my pots in from Growers Solution today and was wanting to start potting up my plants because they are in need of it BAD!. It was then I realized it was gonna be awhile before the soil would be hydrated enough.

So far I filled up two flats of 15 pots a piece in them with the soil in the pots, and then filled the flats with water, intending to let the soil soak up the water overnight. I'll see what they are like in the morning and then re-evaluate the process.

Hey, I got my pots from GS today also!! Coolio!

But I already transplanted about 60 before I called it quits. May not be the best method but like I said, I fill the pot with dry promix to the level i need, take my transplant, stick it in the pot, fill the rest in with dry promix and stick it in the flat with the nutes. When I finish potting a dozen or so I individually lift each pot to tell weight and move the ones that I feel are good. At that point the ones that I move get a few good squirts of regular water on the top of the soil to settle the dust. Then I continue with another dozen. I was using smaller (2.5x3.5) pots so they took enough water fairly quickly, when I did the same with the 3.5x5 pots I filled the flat half way with water and let it sit until it was empty and repeated until I got enough moisture in the soil. No need to soak the soil before you plant. You can do it if you want, but it is important to give the plants a good watering with nutes as soon as you transplant and I didn't want to transplant into wet soil and make it even wetter when I feed them. I now just have to keep an eye on them for a few days to make sure they are wicking up.

My process differs a little--I just throw a big batch of ProMix in a large aluminum turkey pan and soak it with a few quarts of water. I spoon in a wet 'slurry' of the PM and create a little nest for the seedling to rest on. Then finish spooning along the sides and top it off with a water rinse to settle. Do not press or compact the the medium.

The PM doesn't compact like starter mix--which I do start dry and hydrate in the container.

I also wait to add the nutes within a week--I like to keep the transplant on the moist side at the beginning as it adjusts to new home.

For a five gallon container, I fill it halfway with PM, water a little, then top it off and water the rest. Dig my hole for the seeding and after transplant, I water some more around the base/root ball. I then keep it out of direct sun for a few days to let it recover from transplant shock. Wait a week or two before adding any nutes, go easy on strengths until plant is strong. Pro-Mix already has starter nutes which last longer than you might think. Fresh wet nutes coming in direct contact with recently transplanted roots can really set the plant back and give you immediate burn. If you use time release nutes like Osmocote (I use 14-14-14), go easy on the amount (I use 1 tablespoon for 5 gallon pot) and make sure the pellets are well dispersed in the container - avoid concentrations by the root ball. I don't think there is a wrong way to get it wet, but it's easier handling dry Pro-Mix IMO. Always use less nutes than you think you need and you should have great results. Peppers like sun and water, and not too much water, everything else is secondary.

I fill a big tote with pro-mix and then water and fluff up until its a perfect wettness/consistancy with all large chunks broken down. Dry peat will never moisten properly without really over-watering and dry vermiculite is terrible for your lungs

I like to hydrate the PM just enough to keep the dust down and get the water absorption process started then start using it. Give it a long drink of water after the plant is in.

Back