• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Problems with Datils

Wow...long time since I posted here, real life unfortunately took over...

For the past 3 years I have attempted to grow Datils...with little success. 

Germination seems to be the biggest problem, with seeds from 4 different sources including Pepperlover, I have had little to no success.  No problems with other varieties, just Datil...

Can anyone shed some insight?

Temps 80-85, sterile soil, soaking/not soaking...essentially the same parameters I use for other chiles, including the well know super hots.

One I my favorite peppers, but also causing me the most aggravation...

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Try germinating them on a wet paper towel, that usually gives me good results.
Last germinations I did were Bhut jolokia and Trinidad Moruga Scorpions which are known to take a long time to start sprouting.
When I use the wet paper towel method they germinate in like 9-10 days on a warm place (75-85F)

Thanks for the response, I have tried the paper towel method, with the same results...no germination. Even after letting them sit for 20+ days under 'ideal' conditions...

Perhaps it's the seed stock...or I am not meant to grow Datils...

Strange...I have a datil for the first time this year and had 100% germ rate with my plant podding like crazy even after I almost fried it with bug killer when I found aphids. What is your water like? Meaning ph and such. My sprouted on top of the fridge in damp paper towel in sealed zip-top baggie in approx 17 days...perhaps just let them sit 30-40 days. I think folks on here before have talked about some types taking over a month to germ.

bravesfan said:
Strange...I have a datil for the first time this year and had 100% germ rate with my plant podding like crazy even after I almost fried it with bug killer when I found aphids. What is your water like? Meaning ph and such. My sprouted on top of the fridge in damp paper towel in sealed zip-top baggie in approx 17 days...perhaps just let them sit 30-40 days. I think folks on here before have talked about some types taking over a month to germ.
Water is decent, I use distilled with trace minerals added back in.  Ph is right at 7.2.

I have germinated many, many types of chiles, these just happen to be the ones that are being the most stubborn...

I have a DIY germination chamber that I have used for the past 3 years, keeps the temps right between 78-85 degrees, misted as needed. Still no luck...
PepperDaddler said:
Where are you located. I am in Datil Land.
I am in Colorado...land of temperate deserts, and high peaks.

Bad seeds?

Easy to grow here being that it is where the most are grown. Try germing in pots. I mean just put some soil in a pot and put the seeds in like you would do with any other plant. No fancy tricks. Water and put in the sun. Works for me and you don't have to worry about hardening off.

Wont take you too long to get one of these:

@ PepperDaddler, yeah I did that too this year, out of 6 seeds one came up, but seed cap was stuck on.  After some surgery I was able to save one leaf...the plant was stunted and never grew from that ordeal...

I am guessing bad seeds...?

Thanks for the help.

I have seeds from pepperlover and had 85% germ. Not bad i guess :( hmm I germed in solo cups. heating mat and consistant 85-89 degrees. Took about 7 days and i had a sprout in 14/14 containers

O btw i put about 3 seeds per container

Vodu said:
@ PepperDaddler, yeah I did that too this year, out of 6 seeds one came up, but seed cap was stuck on.  After some surgery I was able to save one leaf...the plant was stunted and never grew from that ordeal...

I am guessing bad seeds...?

Thanks for the help.

In that case try soaking them overnight first next time.

@ PepperDaddler, I will try that again, along with the paper towel method...need to track down some better seed in the meantime.

Back