• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Preventing crosses

Sorry if this has already been asked a hundred times, but my search results didn't really get what I was looking for.

I'm just curious what measures can be taken to prevent cross pollination. I saw someone had isolation cages which looked interesting, but also expensive and I'm planning on growing in a hoop house, so the more space i can spare for growing the better. But it'd be nice to know what to expect from seeds collected for the next go around, instead of dumping $30-$70 on seeds each time. If it's not super blowy inside the house do I have much to worry about? And are the cheap ways to at least lower the chances of crosses?

Thanks

You can bag individual branches or flower buds before they open:

http://www.suite101.com/content/using-bagging-to-prevent-cross-pollination-in-vegetables-a301774
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/22399-a-for-those-who-isolate-by-bagging/page__p__463341__fromsearch__1#entry463341

Some glue the flowers shut too.

And if you tie some thread or yarn around the isolated pod's stem, it's easier to keep track of what pods are OP and which have been isolated. :)

dvg

there was someone on here i cant find the thread that i was recenly looking at that would use gelatin capsules (clear pill capsules) that he bought off of amazon i think the size was #2 he stated #4 size would be too small. i think thats a great idea... dont know how it would work outside with mother nature.......

found it

Just do it the old-fashioned way...put some room between the plants, ESPECIALLY if you will have them inside. You would be surprised at how many people sell seeds with their plants fairly close together...

If you're growing in a hoop house you just need to screen in the doors and vents to prevent pollinating insects

Just do it the old-fashioned way...put some room between the plants, ESPECIALLY if you will have them inside. You would be surprised at how many people sell seeds with their plants fairly close together...
Unfortunately a mile and a half apart is the recommended distance to avoid crosses outdoors :(

i went to the indoor swap meet here and found organza bags
at the same place they sell wedding and baptism and quinceƱera crap :hell:
got 12 for four bucks 3.5 x 5.5" or so

I am experimenting with Gelatine capsules in my grow log man check it out if you are interested. I will be handing out as many seeds as i can spare at the end of season free! and if they grow true... :woohoo: i will be very happy :dance: all i ask is that people let me know if they grow True To Type!

Im a completely amateur when it comes down to cross pollination and I have a question. Basically, what you people are saying is that cross pollination happens when the flower is growing. Should I bag the plant when it is starting to grow the flower or when it has fully grown but still hasnt opened its flower?

Thanks guys, awesome advice. I like the baggie idea, sounds cheap and easy. I'll have to read up more about the gelatine caps.

I've been using emptied bags from some old tea that was going to waste anyway. Only problem is you can't see exactly what's going on, but you can tell once it's been pollinated.

Back