misc pressure canning??? questions

you guys talk about pressure canning, would i be correct in thinking that is just putting a cooked sauce into a sterile bottle/jar (which is also hot) and sealing when still warm as to create a vacuum seal when it cools??
or is it some other method

Pressure canning is preserving food by placing it in a clean (not necessarily sterile) glass jar and boiling it in hot water under a specified pressure setting (5-15 psi) for a specified amount of time.

A hot water bath does not involve pressure, only submerging jars in hot water and removing them after period of time and letting them cool. Foods such as tomatoes juice do not need pressure canned, while peas, beans, potatoes, etc., do.

I only used the canner for about 24 quarts of potatoes and some salsa last year, I saved 90 quarts of juice by boiling the juice and pouring it into bottles then sealing.

Mike

Lee,

Opinions vary - some people claim they use just a hot water bath on some low-acid foods (peppers, onions, beans, etc.) and have not had any bad food. Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones may be one of them! But *experts* say the acidic level needs to be 4.6 or lower.

I've always had access to a pressure canner (I have two of them now - one can usually find one at some yard sale every year or two) so I can everything except juice and whole tomatoes.

Botulism is a serious health concern I would just as soon not have to overcome.

Mike

did a little googlin' and came up with explanations of the two main kinds of preserving....water bath method and pressure canning...I have read that pressure canning at 10 PSIG will take the temperature inside to 240F

Water Bath Method

The water bath method of canning will heat your produce to the temperature of boiling water which is 212°F, therefore low acid vegetables (all vegetables excluding tomatoes) should be processed only using a pressure canning method.

Items needed:

Water bath canner: A large, deep pan with a good, tight fitting lid will work fine. Just make sure it is deep enough to completely submerge the size of jar chosen.

Wire rack to hold the jars off the bottom of the pan

Tongs with a large enough opening for the jar lids

Oven mitts and cooling racks

Timer

Insert the rack into the bottom of your canning pot. Begin by filling the canning pot about halfway with boiling water. Add the jars to be processed making sure to set them firmly onto the rack with sufficient room between to keep the jars from touching each other. Add additional boiling water making sure to cover the jars by at least 2 inches of water. Don’t pour the water directly onto the jars, but add it carefully into the side of the pot.

Cover the pot with a tight lid and bring the water to a full rolling boil. Depending on the length of time to process (according to your recipe), set your timer. Reduce the heat under the pot to maintain a rapid boil. Watch the water level and add more boiling water during the timing process as needed. When the timer goes off, use the tongs and remove the jars from the water immediately. Set the jars onto a thick layer of towels or a cooling rack leaving space between the jars and allow to completely cool. Tighten the seals if necessary before storing.

Pressure Canning

Items needed:

Pressure canner with steam vent

Wire rack to hold the jars off the bottom of the pan

Tongs with a large enough opening for the jar lids

Oven mitts and cooling racks

Timer.

Begin using the same process as the water bath by adding first the boiling water, then the jars onto the rack and then filling the pan with additional water to cover the jars by at least 2 inches. Firmly attach the pressure cooker lid and place the pressure cooker over high heat. Bring it to a high steam and let the steam exhaust for 10 minutes. Close the vent when the steam coming from the jet is nearly invisible.

When you have reached 8 pounds of pressure, lower the heat slightly. Let the pressure continue to rise until you have reached 10 pounds. At this point, start your timer and hold the 10 pounds of pressure for the entire process. If you have problems maintaining 10 pounds of pressure, turn up the heat, repressurize to 10 pounds and restart the timing process.

When the timer goes off, remove the pressure cooker from the heat and let it cool completely. (Do not pour cold water onto the pot to speed up the cooling process!) When the pressure returns to zero, open the vent and then carefully open the lid keeping it slanted away from you to prevent a steam burn. Remove the jars from the cooker using the tongs and set aside to cool.

Tips and Tricks:

Push on the seal and make sure it is down tight. If it pops up, the seal didn’t take which means the canning process didn’t work properly. If you choose a porcelain lined cap jar, you will need to wet the rubber ring before you fit it against the top of the jar. Firmly screw on the cap and then back it off one quarter turn. Screw the cap on tightly after processing. Be sure and date your jars before storage. Properly home-canned fruits and vegetables can have a long shelf life as long as the seal remains intact.

from this link: http://www.essortment.com/food/homecanningwat_shho.htm

AlabamaJack said:
did a little googlin' and came up with explanations of the two main kinds of preserving....water bath method and pressure canning...I have read that pressure canning at 10 PSIG will take the temperature inside to 240F

Pressure Canning

Begin using the same process as the water bath by adding first the boiling water, then the jars onto the rack and then filling the pan with additional water to cover the jars by at least 2 inches.

AJ,

This is the first time I have read to cover the jars completely when canning . I never did and neither did mom who canned stuff for 30 years. We always added enough water to cover the rack plus a bit more (about 2" or so).

This is what most other sites say.

Mike

Water bath canning usually means jars are covered by about 2 inches of water above the jars. Peppers that are pickled or have enough added acid( vinegar, lime or lemon juice) may safely be processed by water bath. Some sauces should be processed using pressure canning to insure safety. By the time it's made into sauce the need to retain crispness of the peppers is not a concern. Some peppers like pepperoncini are thin skinned and wilt at the first sign of heat losing the crisp quality. I know some can them with no problem. I tried heating my pickling brine last year then pouring over the peppers in a pan and heat just a little while. I froze the result. It worked but it's not equal to the purchased pepperoncini. They taste good. I'm going to get some pickle crisp ( calcium chloride food grade) this year and see if that helps.

I use the water bath method for my chilli sauces and haven't had anything go wrong so far. I don't add tomato though as I don't have anything at home to check the PH. My sauces keep for a long time and have some still from a year or two ago that are still fine to eat. Won't keep that long once opened though.
I do make sure that I sterilise all the equipment first before I start and then pour the hot liquid into hot jars, screw the lid onto the clean jar (not too tight or too loose) and sit on the bench overnight. If there is room in the fridge I put it in there for extra precaution. I'm really fussy bout food and expiry dates etc but refridgeration really isn't necessary if done properly.

Vegetables, meat and game, poultry, seafood, soups, stews, tomato-vegetable sauces and tomato-meat sauces are all Low Acid Foods. All Low Acid Foods must be "heat processed" in a pressure canner to eliminate the risk of botulism.

Fruits, fruit juices, jams, jellies and other fruit spreads, pickles, relish, salsa, chutney and tomatoes with added acid are all High Acid Foods. All High Acid Foods must be "heat processed" in a boiling water canner.

also when there is a little bit of oil in a sauce, botchulism likes to breed in that.

just better safe than sorry

http://www.homecanning.com/can/ALStepbyStep.asp?ST=6

would a pressure cooker like this do the job?

113-8610351A67UC321259M.jpg

I use pressure canners (and cookers) not only to preserve food but also to turn the toughest, roughest piece of meat in the world into the most tender food one could imagine.

Mike

bang on, so a pressure cooker would do the job of pressure canning as long as the bottles/jars were sealed and raised off the bottom of the pressure cooker during the process

Dave,

Do a Google for pressure canning. I've always referred to a pressure canner as one that is much larger than a pressure cooker! Same idea, just different sizes.

Mike

Back