Presidents Choice BBQ review

I left this bbq 3 weeks with no cover(supposed to be stainless)
I have rust shooting from everywhere..Covered now there is still new rust..I'snt stainless supposed to not rust?Many phone calls later and parts in the mail..Im getting fed up I found more rusty surfaces tonight that are stainless....Im thinking bringing back the BBQ was the best thing I could have done..flimsy lids poor workmanship..To think I just wasted 600+ and im stuck with this..This reminds me when I went to a dealer for a used car for the wife lol

Stainless steel can rust, yes. Usually it's only a surface rust, and can be cleaned off with a product like Naval Jelly, or what I like, Bar Keepers Friend (product from way back and CHEAP). Don't clean your grill with steel wool, it will leave metal filings behind that will rust. Protect it from the elements even though it is stainless steel. If the manufacturer did not passivate the metal (treat it in a nitric or citric acid formulation to remove stray metal filings and enhance the chromium) that can also cause it to rust.

I went to the website. "Made in China" would have kept me away ;). However, if you are keeping it, it can be cleaned.

thehotpepper.com said:
Stainless steel can rust, yes. Usually it's only a surface rust, and can be cleaned off with a product like Naval Jelly, or what I like, Bar Keepers Friend (product from way back and CHEAP). Don't clean your grill with steel wool, it will leave metal filings behind that will rust. Protect it from the elements even though it is stainless steel. If the manufacturer did not passivate the metal (treat it in a nitric or citric acid formulation to remove stray metal filings and enhance the chromium) that can also cause it to rust.

Instead of steel wool(if you really need something coarse to clean with), try using grill brick(Foamglas insulation or as we used to call it, fart-rock). Works wonders.

Just a bit of trivia I picked up lately, on buying stainless steel grills..if a magnet sticks to it it's not high grade cuz it's not supposed to be magnetic. There's a lot of technical reasoning for this but it seemed like a neat thing to remember as we have been looking for a new grill.

Jackie

Back