• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

powder-flake Powder Combinations

I dried my first lot of orange habd the other day but didn't dry them for long enough, cause the powder clumped up a bit as it must have still been a little moist.

I dried them on 125 for about 16 hours. Next time i will dry them for 24 - 36hrs.

I was thinking about a hot lemon, chocolate hab combo. would look and taste pretty funky....

I'm starting to try different pepper combinations for making sausages and the hard part is getting a good flavor without too much heat. I make a few extra hot ones for myself but most people around here just want good sausage and not much burn.
I'm thinking of trying some mild Mexican peppers similar to what I use in my chili, and since I am overloaded with C. chinenses I'll have to mix in a few of them too. Next year I plan to focus once again on growing poblanos, chilacas, Anaheims, and other similar types. This year these types all did poorly for me and I'm already getting low on powder:(

cheezydemon said:
:shocked:I grow plenty to eat and grind.

Ripe jalapeno is hands down the best powder you can get. They have great flavor and in powder form, you can add as much as you want until it is hot enough.

I haven't tried drying Jalapeno either, maybe I should! It's just that the Champion pods hardly ever make it past the garden gate, because I love to eat them right after picking them. Luckily, I was disciplined enough to take some home to get seeds. Most of them will end up in the seed trade parcel, I've sent them to AJ.

POTAWIE said:
I'm starting to try different pepper combinations for making sausages and the hard part is getting a good flavor without too much heat. I make a few extra hot ones for myself but most people around here just want good sausage and not much burn.
I'm thinking of trying some mild Mexican peppers similar to what I use in my chili, and since I am overloaded with C. chinenses I'll have to mix in a few of them too. Next year I plan to focus once again on growing poblanos, chilacas, Anaheims, and other similar types. This year these types all did poorly for me and I'm already getting low on powder:(

I have had great luck diluting hot powders with ripe red bells from the grocery. Bells are cheap and big, and the red ones have good powdered flavor.

Chiliac said:
I haven't tried drying Jalapeno either, maybe I should! It's just that the Champion pods hardly ever make it past the garden gate, because I love to eat them right after picking them. Luckily, I was disciplined enough to take some home to get seeds. Most of them will end up in the seed trade parcel, I've sent them to AJ.

I have had to keep buying green japs at the grocery to keep me from eating mine! I am disciplined enough now to let them ripen and then dry and grind.

I subbed the red jap powder for store bought cayenne in a rib rub recipe I made twice for my in laws.

The first ribs were great and well recieved with the cayenne. No complaints.

A few months later, the exact same recipe with the jap powder, and they were blown away. Same great texture, but "What did you do to these?!??!? They are so flavorful!" was the new response. Despite how self-critical I am of my own cooking, I had to admit that they were magical with the jap powder.

Erm Didn't think of using Bell peppers and cant agree more about Jalapeno is great as is Serrano powder as i found out last night ;)

cheezydemon said:
I have had great luck diluting hot powders with ripe red bells from the grocery. Bells are cheap and big, and the red ones have good powdered flavor.

I'm not a big fan of buying peppers, I grow my own;)
I've been using Pimenta D'espelette peppers to dilute a lot of my hotties

cheezydemon said:
I have had to keep buying green japs at the grocery to keep me from eating mine! I am disciplined enough now to let them ripen and then dry and grind.

I subbed the red jap powder for store bought cayenne in a rib rub recipe I made twice for my in laws.

The first ribs were great and well recieved with the cayenne. No complaints.

A few months later, the exact same recipe with the jap powder, and they were blown away. Same great texture, but "What did you do to these?!??!? They are so flavorful!" was the new response. Despite how self-critical I am of my own cooking, I had to admit that they were magical with the jap powder.

Sounds great, you convinced me - I'll try that myself. Not your recipe ;), but drying Jalapenos.

Back