• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

container Pot container material question

When buying potting containers do I need to pay attention to what plastics are used? I was out looking for new containers at my local walmart and a regular 5 gallon bucket is 5 bucks, a 12qt pail is a buck fifty, and a potting container is about 4 bucks. I'm leaning to the 12qt pail becuase it's cheap, but will it leach any naughty chemical in the soil? These are the pails located in the automotive area if that makes any difference.

your basic plastic containers are basically all the same IMO if new ,as long as they werent used for chemicals (like auto oil etc...) or you're buying some kind of bio-degradable plastic containers :)

Check around bigger restaurants.

Eventually you'll find one with a stack of pails around the back, just ask nicely if ya can have 'em.

Also, there's always Craigslist. :D

as for pots ,me and my wife where driving down a remote country lane and somebody had dumbed some large pots by the side of the road..so but em in a bag and now they have my jalas,hot banana,prarie fire,bolivian rainbow,tabasco,cayenne,habs,scotch bonnets,aji rojo,peter pepper,dorset nagas in.:)

Over in the UK Talas some people go into Asda and ask if they've got any of those flower buckets they can have (you know that store the cut flowers). Apparently it's down to the store manager if he gives them away to you or not but quite a few people have used them.

I got my 5 gallon nursery containers for $1.00 each from my local nursery...

thx rainbowberry done just that i was told no..:(

went to morrisons to get some meat and lo and behold 8 for a £1,thx for the info id never of thought of that :)

Someone on another forum was once told no too but saw them round the back in the skip so he helped himself much to the amusement of the trolley collecting man.

FWIW, when I got mine yesterday, the guy at the garden center said if bought them now (probably a case or two at a time), they would cost about 80¢ each.

Mike

If you don't care what the pail looks like. Talk to the bakery department at your area grocery stores. Frosting and other things come in 3 and 5 gallon pails. Our church needed some pails last year for our home made ice cream social and we got them HyVee grocery store and Walmart Supercenter.

ddrsheden said:
If you don't care what the pail looks like. Talk to the bakery department at your area grocery stores. Frosting and other things come in 3 and 5 gallon pails. Our church needed some pails last year for our home made ice cream social and we got them HyVee grocery store and Walmart Supercenter.

Thanks for the idea, though the time spent looking for pails and making holes in them maybe more than just buying already made pails. BTW, I drove through Bushnell, IL a few weeks ago on vaca.

ddrsheden said:

Yeah, i got some of these 2gal. pails from Safeway & Albersons..they go through tons of them. This used to have chocolate frosting in it. :)

S6300715.jpg

Plus, it has a handle.

talas said:
thx rainbowberry done just that i was told no..:(

went to morrisons to get some meat and lo and behold 8 for a £1,thx for the info id never of thought of that :)

Some people have also got the flower pots free from Morrisons. Try it on with them if Asda are going to be miserable bast*rds.

Back