smokers Post your Smoker/BBQ/Cooker pics here

Yes, you can do same chamber smoking, but you may not get the temps down to where you want. You also limit your cooking area to half (or less actually, due to flare ups, and high heat being close to the source). Source on the left half, cooking on the right third, and that third will not be exactly even, it will still be hotter on the left. ;) Not that great. I'd go for a separate firebox.

The firebox is a separate chamber and the heat and smoke are pulled through with airflow for even temps and smoke. You can modify the chimney by extending it down to grate level for a perfectly horizontal airflow that goes right across the meat. It pulls it from the firebox side to the chimney side across the whole grate. It's the way I prefer!

Good luck and keep us posted.

UDS' are okay, not true indirect cooking though, with the meat above the heat source. You can mod it with a deflector plate for a better taste that is closer to indirect. Without a deflector the center of the rack will be a lot hotter than the sides affecting cook times. Also the fat and juices drip onto the coals which causes a burnt steam flavor, which can cause bitterness with long cooks. You can't cook with wood only, the UDS works best with a bed of coals and chips, so you will always get that charcoal taste, and some prefer wood only for smoke flavor.

A deflector plate could be a round terra cotta pot bottom (the drip thingie) wrapped in foil, allowing the heat and smoke to rise from the sides and flow over the meat, or you could weld something if you are handy, but I'd go for a heavy gauge metal.

With an offset smoker, you have the firebox on the side. There is nothing in the cooking chamber except heat and smoke, which travel across the meat and out through the chimney. This is a true smoker, and yields better results in my opinion.

In Canada, you can get this as a starter: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/BBQs/CharcoalBBQ/PRD~0851019P/Deluxe%252BCharcoal%252BGrill%252B%25252B%252BSmoker%252B.jsp?locale=en

I'll post my baby when it warms up!

I am a little drunky..but I have some rebuttal. Coming tomorrow.

I'm kind of curious about the heat being hotter on one side with a single chamber. It seems like it would be hotter on one side regardless of being a single chamber or if it's in a separate fire box. It's all coming from one side and going to the other. I guess maybe the separation of the fire box allows you to avoid the extreme heat of the fire? Just guessing here though.

I've done both and there's a reason the offset smoker design works. Even with large smokers or cinder block smokehouses, the firebox is separate.

Test it out yourself, that's the only way. :) You may end up modding something cool like a divider if you go single, but then you have a lot less real estate for meat!

Go for an offset smoker, or UDS, and add the deflector.

In Canada, you can get this as a starter: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/BBQs/CharcoalBBQ/PRD~0851019P/Deluxe%252BCharcoal%252BGrill%252B%25252B%252BSmoker%252B.jsp?locale=en
Wow, it looks like they finally improved the design of the cheap char-broil smoker. I'll have to go check it out in person.

My rebuttal to THP...while the UDS concept is not indirect heating, if the grates are located high enough from the coal cage an effect similar to offset heating can be achieved. As of yet, I have found no need of any deflector wombats, water pans, etc. My criteria for bbq is simple. Low and slow consistent temps in a vessel that needs very little attention. UDS type smokers have been used for years at bbq comps and I challenge anyone to tell the difference in the final product. The que that I've produced in my UDS is as good as I have ever had. For me it's bbq simplified.

I was actually at the Crappytire here in town the other day. I didn't see the offset you linked THP. But then again there's a reason why most people call that place Crappytire. You'd know what I meant if you've ever tried to order anything from the place or sought help from their 'friendly, knowledgeable' staff.

Well I finally decided to spend the money and purchase a Master Forge gas smoker this weekend.
DSCF0961.jpg

I checked around, and this model had a lot of good reviews for construction,ease of assembly,holding a constant temperature, but I still decided to install some rope gasket around the doors just to be sure.
DSCF0955.jpg

It went together very easily, and after a initial "seasoning burn-in" I loaded her up with a shoulder roast,pork loin,flat iron-steak,and a dozen leg/thigh quarters.(all seasoned with a healthy dose of "Spicy Chicken's"Special blend and Super Chili powder)
DSCF0963.jpg

After about 4 hours I wrapped the loin and flat-iron steak in foil,added a half dozen ABT's, and threw in a few more apple wood chips
DSCF0966.jpg

DSCF0967.jpg

Then, after around 8 hours of smoke time...a feast fit for a king....or Chili Monsta in this case.
DSCF0970.jpg

DSCF0969.jpg

Everything was great...with a fantastic moist/smoked flavor.
Thanks BamsBBQ and Midwestchilihead,who's posts and comments inspired me to finally get off the bubble and get myself a smoker.
After this weekend...I'm really sorry it took me so long.
CM

You are welcome, and that looks like some excellent grubbage! Congratulations.
Well....MWCH....Since last we talked,I have acquired a small deep freeze,bought a smoker,sprouted six seedlings of green chili's just waiting to be picked, smoked,roasted and frozen.
When the missus starts looking at me out of the corner of her eye....I'll tell her to blame it on the guy from Kansas.

Wow that's a pretty sweet setup you got there Mr. Monsta! I can't wait until I get my smoker up and running! I've got a bit more work to do on it, well a lot more work to do on it, but I'm thinking of going big when it's done. Go all out and do up some pulled pork. Some more work and lots of research to do before then though.

Ah, I've corrupted another one! :dance: :dance: :dance: Wait until next year when you tell her, "hon, I just want to start a few more seeds for this season, . . . and oh yeah, we need another freezer to hold all our chile and smoked meat." If she enjoys either one as much as you do, or is at least tolerant like my wife, she will understand. Let me know if you need any Heritage New Mexico seeds. I still have a few I could send you.

Well....MWCH....Since last we talked,I have acquired a small deep freeze,bought a smoker,sprouted six seedlings of green chili's just waiting to be picked, smoked,roasted and frozen.
When the missus starts looking at me out of the corner of her eye....I'll tell her to blame it on the guy from Kansas.

Here's my UDS I designed and built last year.

IMG_2416.jpg

IMG_2419.jpg

You can see the welded tabs for holding the 18" grates.

IMG_2417.jpg

At the base of the drum I have 6 each 3/4" holes going around the drum that I use with the same size bolts and washers for controlling airflow. More air? Just pull out a bolt. Between that and the custom made steel lid with sliding vents, it works perfectly in controlling temps.

IMG_2415.jpg

The UDS works fabulous for not only ribs, brisket, butts and salmon, but is also excellent for other 'thangs....like this cheddar bacon bloomin' onion. Are you gettin' hungry or what?

IMG_2495.jpg

Now that's .... a smoker! quality TB, quality...

:woohoo: :dance:

NEW TOY!

A Masterbuilt smoker!
17768b12.jpg

3 shelves, chip tray and water tray, grease drip tray below-
analog controller

Fired it up last night for the first cook last night about 6:00 pm with a couple racks o'ribs. Using the 3-2-1 time,...pulled the ribs at around midnight.....yea, that's why the cooked pics are a little.....hazy~~~~

a91c6731.jpg

a2e0db64.jpg

We have a couple seasoned cherry branches, so we sliced them really thin with a chop saw, and then broke them into pieces. They worked GREAT! And when it fired off, the smell of the cherry wood, with the meat and seasonings......OOOhhhh, BABY!!!!

478d7c6e.jpg

5f421084.jpg

RIBS!
454d5325.jpg

a0062657.jpg

c5fab185.jpg

This unit seemed to hold a constant temp and was easily adjustable for small degrees of temperature. The racks cleaned up just fine in the dishwasher. Tomorrow, some orange habs and then a couple pork butts.

Cool SL. The Masterbuilt company stands behind their products so if you even need a replacement part just call them and they send it to you.

Nice ribs.

thanks to know that, THP.

We looked at a higher priced digital model from Cabela's (hubby had some Safety Incentive gift cards from work to cash in....) but the higher end model that was on super-sale did not have the performance reviews as the simple Masterbuilt model. I had a design that I wanted to have custom built which was basically the same design as the model we bought.

We didn't prep the ribs totally proper, but we're very happy with the performance of the smoker, compared to the performance of a SS tray with wood chunks over half of the grill. It'll take a little practice to get to know the dial=internal temps and etc, and we'll be prepping buckets of chips (apple and cherry cuz that's what we have....)for smoking in the winter.

Still on track for habs in the morning and butts in the afternoon!

wow- I never in my life thought I would ever say, "Yea, I'm a smoker...."

I'm a total noobie smoker, but having TONS of FUN!

Ann welcome to the dark side. Beautiful looking ribs. Nice and crusty with a good pull back on the bones. Is that a Texas Creek rub or did ya'll just wing it? Reckon I'll put you on my salmon list when I come callin' at ZestFest.

Ann welcome to the dark side. Beautiful looking ribs. Nice and crusty with a good pull back on the bones. Is that a Texas Creek rub or did ya'll just wing it? Reckon I'll put you on my salmon list when I come callin' at ZestFest.

Thanks, TB. and OH YES! I'd love some salmon. I'll be bringing some goodies for people also. Stuff that's not commercially for sale, you know, one of those "behind the counter" special bottles. ;)

The rub was some Cajun dry spices mix that I used for the Cajun TD's (italian spices, cayenne, garlic, etc) and brown sugar, 'bout 50/50. Today's purk has black pepper, garlic, onion, paprika, chipotle, salt and a little sugar.

Here's a couple more pics and a remote temp unit we picked up a whole back.
dfd5034c.jpg

20a0e46e.jpg

Today's pork butts-
smeared with yellow mustard, and the dry spices.
Prolly should have this in the Hungover Chef thread. Had a late night in Chat last night. LOL

3c580b18.jpg

6ebf0a2e.jpg

30a33fc7.jpg

See y'all in about 12 hours~

Back