• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Possible ID? Thoughts welcomed.

I posted about this Habanero or Chinense variety I found at a local grocery store's produce isle last year.

Anyway, the pods are very wrinkled and go from Green to Yellow to Red.

The Container labaled them as Habaneros, and I am growing about 20 of these this year.

So I was looking around various websites for images of Habanero or C. Chinense pods that closest resemble the ones I have.

And I think I found a match... Here are some images I took of them last year.

Pic0366.jpg

Pic0367.jpg

And here is the one I found called "West Indies Chili Pepper" which looks like a C. Chinense.

513794.jpg

Anybody know of this variety? What do you guys think? Thanks :)

Hmm... Looks like it could be a Carribean Red or even some kind of Hab. Keep in mind that a lot of the West Indian peppers that are found in stores are crosses of 2 or more different kinds. At least that has been my experience...

Sydtunes said:
Hmm... Looks like it could be a Carribean Red or even some kind of Hab. Keep in mind that a lot of the West Indian peppers that are found in stores are crosses of 2 or more different kinds. At least that has been my experience...

It's not a Carribean Red, I grow these and they are smooth like below:

chilli_habanero.jpg

imaguitargod said:
The one in the first picture, right hand side is a turks turban pepper.

Why would side matter? They all came from the same container and look the same. So it goes without saying, they all came from the same plant. :confused:

And they looked nothing like this:

turksturban08.jpg

Btw, that doesnt even appear to be a C. Chinense. Looks like a C. Annuum

Just to clarify, the Two Peppers in the first image are sliced in half and every pod in that container I purchased looked exactly like these:

513794.jpg

So you are telling me that that red pod (which is the one on the right, not the one on the left, which is yellow)

RichardK said:
Looks NOTHING like thse guys?
RichardK said:

:eh:

Keep in mind, those pods are not from the sample plant and are completely different b/c one is red and the other is yellow.

imaguitargod said:
Keep in mind, those pods are not from the sample plant and are completely different b/c one is red and the other is yellow.

Wow I thought you of all people would know this, the Yellow one is in a different stage of ripening! Do you think the green ones are from a different plant as well?

Heres the exact same peppers in a West indies market, labeled as West Indies Scotch Bonnets.

WestIndies.jpg

You can clearly see them go from Green to Yellow then from Yellow to Red.

Additional Information:

Inside the container, the pods were mostly unripe green stage, a few were green with yellow, two or three were all yellow with some red, and two of them were completly red.

Obviously not every pod was exactly the same shape, they tend to vary! The two above in the first image were sliced in half (Before image was taken) to remove seeds (which are growing now).

I wish I had taken more pictures of them, but I gobbled them up and they were good. Every pod I used was clearly a C. Chinense, the aroma and flavor was unmistakable.

I'm almost 100% sure they are the same as the images I found, though I cannot seem to track down a proper name, they have been called West indies Chili, West Indies Scotch Bonnet, West Indies Habaneros, Caribbean Scotch Bonnets.

It would just be nice to know what the heck I'm growing :)

Sigh...I know peppers ripen all different colors, green is unripened, etc etc. Most of the time they just throw different kinds of peppers in those packs.

imaguitargod said:
Sigh...I know peppers ripen all different colors, green is unripened, etc etc. Most of the time they just throw different kinds of peppers in those packs.

Maybe I should have been more clear in my first post, the pods in the container I got and the rest of the containers at the store where they were bought, looked Exactly like those in the images I have found.

I know some of them are different colors and some had a funny shape, but to me they clearly were from the same type of plant and tasted/smelled the same.

I just find it hard to belive they would put a C. Annuum variety into the same container as a C. Chinense and then label it as "Habaneros".

I'll post some pictures of the 20 odd plants when they become larger. And some images of the Pods when they set fruit :)

Thx for the replies :)

RichardK said:
I just find it hard to belive they would put a C. Annuum variety into the same container as a C. Chinense and then label it as "Habaneros".
That's odd, I don't find it hard to believe at all. You'd be surprised at what companies and marketing people do.

imaguitargod said:
That's odd, I don't find it hard to believe at all. You'd be surprised at what companies and marketing people do.

I dont know why they would go to all that trouble... Most of these products are produced in South America where they have a field of one type of crop, thats picked and packaged in the same location by underpaid laborers then shipped off to a store near you.

Sounds odd to take a exotic breed of a different species and package it with a pepper that probably costs less to produce.

Anyway thats my 2 cents.

RichardK said:
Wow I thought you of all people would know this, the Yellow one is in a different stage of ripening! Do you think the green ones are from a different plant as well?

You sure about that? The majority of the peppers I've grown ripen from green to red if they're going to be red, or green to yellow if they're going to be yellow.

Granted, there are peppers that turn multiple colors on their way to ripening, but its unusual to see one turn fully ripe looking yellow before turning fully red.
My tabascos kinda started off yellowish-green before they turned orange then red.

And just because they're in the same box doesn't mean they're from the same plant. At stores around here its not uncommon to find yellow & red chinense in the same bin. However they do tend to keep the orange ones separate, but I think that is because they tend to be shaped differently and a different size than the yellow and red ones.

Txclosetgrower said:
You sure about that? The majority of the peppers I've grown ripen from green to red if they're going to be red, or green to yellow if they're going to be yellow.

Granted, there are peppers that turn multiple colors on their way to ripening, but its unusual to see one turn fully ripe looking yellow before turning fully red.
My tabascos kinda started off yellowish-green before they turned orange then red.

And just because they're in the same box doesn't mean they're from the same plant. At stores around here its not uncommon to find yellow & red chinense in the same bin. However they do tend to keep the orange ones separate, but I think that is because they tend to be shaped differently and a different size than the yellow and red ones.

Thank you. That's exactly what I was trying to say. :)

Txclosetgrower said:

Sometimes it does happen that way. I grew red habs last year that turned orange before eventually turning red. And not red/orange, bright orange. Not that that is the case here necessarily, but yada yada yada.

My hungarian Hot Wax has 3 very distinct ripening stages....They will be green then ripen to total yellow then ripen to total red....It's not a C. Chinese but...;)

Regardless of what they are, I think you're pretty damn lucky to be able to buy those at the supermarket. Here, there aretwo, maybe three different types of chillies: Red, Green, Birdseye. They may break those up into long, small, ball, large, but thats it. People here would freak if they had access to what you have there.

...and back on track, they look like mustard habs and/or Caribbean reds to me, but Im not claiming to be an expert. I would go with what Iggy says, he is pretty good at this tuff.

I think they look like Scotch Bonnets, but I bet they are some sort of cross. Maybe Potawie would know.

JayT said:
Sometimes it does happen that way. I grew red habs last year that turned orange before eventually turning red. And not red/orange, bright orange. Not that that is the case here necessarily, but yada yada yada.

The top yellow one is turning red in some spots anyway, I have no doubt that they are from the same type of plant.

Thanks for the input guys :)

Back