• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Please Help! I am being over run!

I am a war and the enemy refuses to even admit is name.

I tried 2 pesticides with no prevail. one containing .9% neem oil and the other .01% Pyrethrins and 1% canola oil, separately of course. the both seemed to discourage the bugs but neither really seemed to kill them. Any help is appreciated I am in desperate need of suggestions.

DSCN1606.JPG

Thank you!

it looks like woolly white fly infestation.. it can be very severe that can kill your plant. i have tried 100% neem + soap solution but still they are there.. i had no choice but to spray some insecticide like malathion, instantly kills them.

light-white-fly.jpg

buy ladybugs my friend.

ladybugs will love you for it too.
Can you buy ladybugs in the philipines ??
Does the lady bug eat whiteflys ??
fly-natural-repellents.jpg

The green bug eliminates the white flies, is in use as biological method of elimination.

it looks like woolly white fly infestation.. it can be very severe that can kill your plant. i have tried 100% neem + soap solution but still they are there.. i had no choice but to spray some insecticide like malathion, instantly kills them.

light-white-fly.jpg

What products contain Malathion? Does it kill other insects well or just flies? I am sightly tired of fighting this battle, I just want to wipe then out, especially since they are inside... What about something to kill in the soil as well.

What products contain Malathion? Does it kill other insects well or just flies? I am sightly tired of fighting this battle, I just want to wipe then out, especially since they are inside... What about something to kill in the soil as well.
the product's name is malathion. i don't know if you can get these in your area but i am sure there are other types over there. ask your local nursery.

unfortunately malathion kills all insects good and bad...

what infestation you have in your soil ?

BIOLOGICAL CONTROLS:

* Natural enemies of whitefly include small birds, spiders, lacewings, hoverflies, ground beetles, mirid bugs and damsel bugs. The adults and larvae of some ladybirds also feed on whiteflies. Habitat, such as a border of perennial plants, needs to be available all year round as a refuge for these predators.
* An important predator and parasitoid of whiteflies is the tiny wasp Encarsia formosa. It is available commercially from Biological Services, PO Box 501, Loxton, SA 5333 Ph 08 8584 6977. It is most likely to be effective inside glasshouses rather than outdoors, Encarsia wasps kill whitefly nymphs in one of two ways: they either lay an egg inside the nymph, providing food for their young, or they kill the nymph right away and feed on it. Once the whitefly nymphs are parasitised they turn black and no longer feed.

PHYSICAL AND CULTURAL CONTROLS:
If you had clouds of whiteflies on your tomatoes or beans in the previous year, then acting early in the spring is your best bet to control this pest! Useful strategies include:

* Vacuuming in the early morning when whiteflies are cold and slow moving can remove many of the adults before they have a chance to lay many eggs. After vacuuming, empty the vacuum bag into a plastic bag and put in the freezer for 24 hours.
* Hang sticky yellow traps above the plants, at the beginning of the season to detect an invasion early. Tapping the plants with a stick will cause the whitefly to fly up and onto the traps. Whiteflies are strongly attracted to the colour yellow, so you really shouldn't wear yellow clothing around whiteflies or you may carry them from plant to plant.
* Physical barriers such as floating row covers or mosquito netting work very well for early-season protection.
* Handpick older leaves to remove young whitefly stages.
* Avoid using a lot of nitrogen fertilizer, including manures, as succulent growth will increase whitefly populations. You may need to check your phosphorus and magnesium levels, as deficiencies in these are believed to contribute to whitefly infestations.
* Try a high pressure hosing in the early morning, 3 days in a row.
Use a cloth soaked in metholated spirit to 'brush' them off.

ORGANIC WHITEFLY CONTROL

Whiteflies suffer from an identity crisis, as they are not flies at all, in appearance they resemble tiny, pure white "moths" but are in fact, closely related to sap-sucking aphids. Aphid cast-off skins could be mistaken for whitefly, but whitefly will quickly flutter up and fly away when disturbed, while the cast-off aphid skins will drop off. Just shake the plant to find out which you have! While there are about 20 species in Australia, the most serious pest is the greenhouse whitefly Trialeurodes vaporariorum that attacks a very wide range of plants including tomatoes and beans. Unfortunately, whiteflies don't go round in ones or twos - they go round in hordes, so a severe attack can have a major impact on a plant.

Whiteflies suck sap from the plant, resulting in a yellow mottling on the surface of the leaf, as well as leaf loss, wilting and stunting. Not only do they feed on plants, but they also produce honeydew, which spoils the plants' appearance, attracts ants and black sooty mould. Whiteflies can also transmit plant viruses.

Adult whiteflies have a 3mm wingspan and are covered with a white, waxy coating. Each adult female lays about 200 eggs on the underside of the leaves, the eggs hatch in 8 days. Newly hatched ‘crawlers’ or ‘nymphs’ move around for a few days but then insert their feeding tube and lose their functional legs. At this stage they can be confused with scale.

Most species can complete a full life cycle in 20-30 days, less in summer. Whiteflies have no hibernation period and must have a suitable host all year. Severe winters reduce numbers considerably.

In many ways, whitefly is a modern pest, created by the over-use of pesticides that have killed off its natural enemies. One study has even demonstrated an increased whitefly reproductive capacity when sprayed with certain insecticides!

LEAST TOXIC CHEMICAL CONTROLS:
Whiteflies began showing resistance to synthetic insecticides many years ago, and have since become a major problem in some crops and greenhouses. To control an infestation use a suitable organic spray as soon as adults are noticed, make sure you spray underneath the leaves:

* Insecticidal soap sprays such as Natrasoap are a good choice of control for the home gardener; spray every 2-3 days for 2 weeks. Natrasoap
* Spray Pest Oil or try making your own oil spray by mixing 1 tablespoon dishwashing liquid detergent with 1 cup of cooking oil; add 1 to 2.5 teaspoons of this solution to 1 cup of water, spray onto plants every 10 days.
* Botanical insecticides such as garlic are useful. Research undertaken in NZ on neem’s effectiveness for whitefly found that it had a major impact by preventing the ‘nymph’ stage from developing into an adult; the nymphs tend to disappear from the treated plants.

hope it helps......

Can you buy ladybugs in the philipines ??
Does the lady bug eat whiteflys ??

we used to. can't buy 'em here anymore. but there are native ones that hang around. =D

here's one i found this afternoon:

45374460.jpg

The green bug eliminates the white flies, is in use as biological method of elimination.

we don't have a lot of those. we do have praying mantises

we used to. can't buy 'em here anymore. but there are native ones that hang around. =D

here's one i found this afternoon:

45374460.jpg

we don't have a lot of those. we do have praying mantises
even if we buy them. we are not using them indoors. how do we make sure that they help us not our neighbors. hehe
i do have the 12 spot ladybug in my area but it causes me more harm then good. It destroyed my eggplant plant:(. the larva does the most damage! they can continuously eat day and night the leaves of the plant. till the leaves dry up.

BTW. Nice dirt. :)

even if we buy them. we are not using them indoors. how do we make sure that they help us not our neighbors. hehe
i do have the 12 spot ladybug in my area but it causes me more harm then good. It destroyed my eggplant plant:(. the larva does the most damage! they can continuously eat day and night the leaves of the plant. till the leaves dry up.

they might not be the good kind of ladybug then or must be those ladybug impostors or something. i'm sure that they have that in nature.

thanks, that's just a mixture of composted leaves, trash and such from the house, garden soil i bought at the local landscaping place and some commercial compost. =D

also been adding some composted chicken manure too.

What Halo has looks like "regular" green "Peach aphids". I employ multiple methods to combat these evil critters. First I squish as many as possible with my fingers. They are harmless and very soft, so don't worry about your well being, being compromised. Just be careful with young tender foliage, as you may cause more physical damage than the aphids. I usually put a piece of dark colored paper underneath the area I am squishing aphids because many aphids drop off the plant as a defense. The aphids are easier to see on a dark piece of paper. They don't move away very fast, so you can destroy those you see on the paper too.

If it is a bad stubborn infestation, I employ lacewings (usually I get eggs, they hatch within 2-5 days usually). The lacewing larvae can't fly away like ladybugs. Usually after a week or two all of the aphids are gone. If the lacewings fail for some reason (happens sometimes), then I find some kind of insecticide and make my house smelly!

I continue to monitor every few days and try to squish any new aphids I can find/see before they start multiplying badly.

Good luck with that one. The only thing that worked for me was lady bugs and since you can't get them your gonna need to be aggressive!! I found it was a lot easier to "DIP" the plants in a large solution of water and need / pesticide when I did have a problem before getting lady bugs. Basically my plants where all potted and less than 12" in size so I would mix up a 5 gallon batch and simply pick up the entire plant and dip it in the solution. It was a 1,000 times easier than spraying and it would guarantee every area on the plant was covered. Good luck.

If you look closely at the pick...
DSCN1606.JPG

...those are just regular ol' green aphids. But there is a crap load of them... Those plants might be too far gone to save.. but worth a shot.. It those were mine, I would remove all the leaves (what the aphids mainly attack and breed on) and then spray the plants down with this...

DSC03534.JPG

You can get it at Wal-Mart for like $4, it wont prevent them from coming back but it does kill pretty much anything on contact. I used it all season when ever I saw something and never had an aphid problem... I did see them on my Thai Hots one time but sprayed it down and in a few days they were gone and never came back.

EDIT: Its for indoors and outdoors and doesn't smell bad really... and you can use it right up to the day of harvest. I tried mixing up all kinds of brews last year and the aphids still came out the winners... this year I used this stuff and they never had a chance!

Ladybugs or other predators are probably your best choice but they may not be very efficient during the winter months at which time you'll have to spray regularly, ideally rotating your arsenal. So far my chile/garlic/neem spray seems to be working well this year, but its hard on the lungs and sinuses

POTAWIE has it right if you are looking for a botanical (ecological) solution. Chilli and garlic.

Tobacco and tomatoe leaves are other versions that can be brewed in water (bit of oil) but will be toxic (keep out of reach of children etc..).
Drawbacks are that it stinks and you might end up smoking the remaining ciggies.
What helps me when I get overrun is spray the f&*k out of them with a high pressure hose a couple of times, use your thumb to squash the persistant ones, wait for them to re-group then spray a mild 1:10 ratio bleach solution (1 part bleach 10 parts water). Chloride will piss them off (at least make their pissy little eyes sting, the little f*&ckers).

That 1 to 10 bleach stuff also works great on mildew (fungus) problems.

We have your back maaaan !

I might have it close to under control now. I cut off the over run sections of the plants. Blew a bunch off outside with a can of air. Freeze dried some of the bastards ( turn the can of air upside down and spray). Picked all the peppers. Sprayed with a mix of malathion. I have only seen one or 2 since then and they might have been dead. I am going to respray in a day or two. I would like a more natural spray to manage then from now on because they are in my living room near the pet guinea pigs and it won't end well if the get to them. What is the garlic chili spray? Tomato leaves are poisonous???

Back