• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Plant Cell/Tissue Culture

Howdy y'all!
Been reading on advance cell culturing lately (meaning not a cutting sitting in Agar with some nutrients) and it seems as if it is the perfect way to clone plants. the ability to clone thousands of plants out of a single piece of plant material usually making a single cutting is, well, brilliant. the best guide out there, in my opinion at least is this:
http://www.omnisterra.com/botany/cp/slides/tc/tc.htm

From this guide I discovered Sigma-Aldrich's products, which are generally cheap and surprisingly available for purchase in Israel. I started studying it for the simple reason I wanted to clone plants more effectively, but now with my new pet plant that produces no seeds and has a somewhat commercial value, it seems like something I should really do. I get the general idea, but still working out what kind of cells or how many are ideal and what is the perfect cultivating medium is for each step of the way. Sigma-Aldrich sell all the available commercial mediums and macro/micro-nutrients used. they also sell the actual tools and containers you need to work with. seems like an awfully cheap solution for commercial culture.

Are there any people doing it already? if so, what do you recommend?

how do you plan to tackle sterility? i would think you would need a laminar flow hood at least.

edit:

oh and a pressure cooker

how do you plan to tackle sterility? i would think you would need a laminar flow hood at least.

edit:

oh and a pressure cooker
You are correct on the sterile environment/tissue culture hood, and of course a sterilization of all tools in use. the containers, dishes and most other glass/plastic material are usually bought from a medical equipment provider and are already sterile.

i should have read beffore i commented lol it covers sterile technique really well.

are you going to buy pre sterilized media? im familiar with growing out crap on agar, not so much plants tho.
i would recommend going with a product like para film, didn't read it thoroughly but i think they suggestes aluminum foil?

Looks like it was used mainly for carnivorous plants, and I do see many CP growers doing tissue culture. Try it out man, you never know how great it is till you do it. Oh, and... Send me a plant :)

I've always wanted to try this method but have never taken the plunge. I'd be really interested to watch some one actually using this technique. All I have ever seen of it is advertisements, and not actual home users.

Nice. I had a chance to head a project in Bio during college with a variation of this technique. It was fairly straight forward but even with a clean hood on a HEPA we had bacterial issues. It turned out that there was a manufacture sticker on the side of the hood seeding after cleanings.

+1 for the article, really makes me want to try this at home in the spare room.

EDIT:

Forgot to add, be very wary of buying the kits online, most companies offer a ?starter kit" that does not contain the necessary components to complete tissue culturing.

Awesome stuff!

Back