• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

desserts Pineapple Upside Down Cake 09-17-09

AlabamaJack

Extreme Member
I had a sweet tooth today so I made a pineapple upside down cake...my favorite of all time...

cake mix in black iron skillet

091709a003.jpg

finished product...

091709a005.jpg

a good cold glass of milk and a big piece of this cake made me smile a great deal...

One of my favorites too AJ! That pic of the cake after baking in cast iron is all the evidence anyone needs to decide whether or not to buy cast iron for literally everything cooked in the kitchen. Look at that caramelized goodness!

Salute', TB.

imaguitargod said:
Amazing. Are there any peppers involved? Ancho would be good.

Actually yes, I bought some spicy pecans at ZestFest...chipped them up and put them in the caramelized mixture...

texas blues said:
One of my favorites too AJ! That pic of the cake after baking in cast iron is all the evidence anyone needs to decide whether or not to buy cast iron for literally everything cooked in the kitchen. Look at that caramelized goodness!

Salute', TB.

Agree 100% TB...CI is the cats meow...

patrick said:
Oh man look at that baby. Way to go AJ. Damn.

thanks Patrick

Noshownate said:
marachino's and all nice work aj!
what were your ingred's?

I used s Betty Crocker yellow cake mix for the cake itself and the caramelized mixture is made using one stick of butter and one cup of dark brown sugar...brought to a gooey bubbling mixture in a sauce pan....poured it in the CI skillet, added the chopped spicy pecans, then laid in the pineapple rings...the marichino cherries were added after the cake had cooked...

I'm not a big sweets eater , but this looks so good I want to make one tomorrow. AJ , what size of CI pan did you use there?

Thanks and Peace,
P. Dreadie

Here's my cake and thank you AJ,

I did things a little different. As you can see I forgot the cherries ... duh So AJ's has way more eye appeal. I only had plan pecans and didn't spread them very good or use enough of them. I added lemon zest to the mix. And I finely chopped up 1/2 of Harold's St Bark and sprinkled that on the pineapple and gooo mixture before pouring in the cake batter. The little bit of finger licking stuff I tasted after cooking was good. It should be nice later when I test a slice.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

MyCake.jpg

looks great PD...sorry for not getting back to you with the pan size...I used a 12" CI...

yours looks simply divine...

Thanks AJ ,

Mine did turn out thick or tall , how ever you'd say that. I guess I could add the cherries before we slice it up.
Next time I'll do better from what learned on this one.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Back