• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics Pics of My Early Starts

Update: These plants have managed to take up more than a quarter of my little grow space thus far. Won't be long before they can go outside and into bigger pots, but boy will I be pushing the limits of my grow space. One odd note is that my Fatalii has since had a growth spurt and is now taller than my SB, however the SB is still bushier, but not by much anymore. The flowers on the fatalii are still smaller too. Speaking of flowers, the ones I hand pollinated on the SB are setting fruit! Tried to take a pic, but close ups come out blurry.

SB is closest to the light.

1299592026.jpg

Fatalii is taller. It's hard to tell from this pic but the SB is still bushier....not by much though

1299592066.jpg

Top view of the SB. She's setting fruit!

1299594183.jpg

Thanks DC. Provided they fully grow out, I'll be taking pics the moment there big enough for my camera to snap a decent photo!

There are at least 5 more like this. I can't wait to get this lady outside.

For now I'm leaving these two to there own devices, as I've got other starts that are starting to demand my attention. Also, FINALLY my Red Scorpion has broke the surface. Took her long enough!

1300032639.jpg

Update:

Fruit has gotten bigger and several others are setting as well. My grow space smells like watermelon.

1300582023.jpg

1300585410.jpg

It appears both plants are setting fruit, but the fatalii still has a ways to go. Would of never expected to be setting ANYTHING in March. This year is looking good. Weather was nice so I set em both out on the patio.

Foodarama's looks like it's going to be a monster this year!

1300584183.jpg

I may keep those 2 by my sliding doors until outside temps stabilize. There just getting too big. My other starts are really starting to take off too.

Big plants from left to right: Jamaican SB, another Foodarama and Bih Jolokia
Seedlings from left to right: Lemon Drop, another Jamaican SB and my Trini Scorp. Real excited that one popped!

1300582188.jpg

Top to bottom: Trini Perfume, Red 7 Pot and TFM SB

1300584070.jpg

Uh oh....may have gotten an little over zealous with the fertz this weekend. Noticed some yellow patches on the leaves this morning. I'll be keeping an eye on em. Crossing my fingers that the fruit which is setting doesn't suffer....always learning. :]

They look extremely healthy so I wouldn't think ONE heavy meal will affect them too much. I'm jealous, I want fruit now!

Watermelon smelling grow area.....hmmmm......cool :dance:

They look extremely healthy so I wouldn't think ONE heavy meal will affect them too much. I'm jealous, I want fruit now!

I'm hoping so. I had a monster size plant shed all it's flowers and probably 70 or 80% of it's leaves on me last season due to over feeding. It was partly intentional though...on one hand I'd carefully boosted it's feeding up to 1/2 strength consitently for almost a month....then on other hand, I immediatly switched to full strength and a day or two later the shedding started. I half expected that though so I knew "why?" right away.

In this case, I've been quite careful with feeding but DID bump it up from 1/6 strength to 2/6th. Neither plant seems to like that, so water and malasses only until the green lightens up.

Watermelon smelling grow area.....hmmmm......cool :dance:

Yea! Turns out it's the flowers on the SB. This is the first time I've had flowering pepper plants in an enclosed grow space. With them being so small you kind of forget that most flowers have a fragrance to em. Now I know why bees and such even bother.

Plants are looking good Capitone.

I hope you didn't OD the Foodarama you're holding above. That's an awesome looking plant.

Continued good luck to you and your grow this year!

Plants are looking good Capitone.

I hope you didn't OD the Foodarama you're holding above. That's an awesome looking plant.

Continued good luck to you and your grow this year!

Me too! :pray: lol. I'm thinking it won't get worse than a few spots....MAYBE a leaf or two. 2/6ths concentration is pretty small, but every plant has it's quirks.

Thanks DR

Capitone

Update:

Both plants survived the buffet without much fuss, so they've been doing alright.

I got a little impatient with the pod that 1st developed on the SB. It's been, I dunno maybe 4 or so weeks now and one of the others have caught up with it in size. That said, i snipped the bugger this morning green as can be, I just had to see what I was working with. Sliced it open at lunch and boy, this is Scotch Bonnet! Even green it smells and tastes waaaay better than any of the peppers I've grown to date. Im like soooo stoked right now it ain't even funny. :party: :party: It had some respectable heat too. When these babies ripen, Im not going to know what to do with myself.

....now I'm eyeing the green fatalli. :twisted: I think it's safe for now though, cause it's not even an inch in length, but if one of the others catch up in size with it, I dunno. lol.

This is awesome. It's like having a pre-season sample of the actual plant you'll be growing before your season officially starts.

Nice work... they look great. i slacked some and didn't start as early as i should have. Still trying to get some ghost to germ, but i don't think the seeds are too viable. I was really looking forward to trying to grow them.

Thanks. Sometimes you've got to be patient with those super hots. It took almost 2 months for my Scorp to pop. I honestly counted it out after 30 days, so it was a real surprise when it popped. Temp I'm sure has something to do with it. I don't use fancy starter kits or warming mats, just soil and pots, so if your doing it the same way that may be a factor.

Update:

Foodarama since potting up hasn't really bushed out as much as I thought it would but NC seasons just really started so I'd say this is one heck of a head start.

1304020916.jpg

So far as pods go, I picked all the green ones off...couldn't help myself, but looky... one survived to turn color! Now we'll see how long I let it sit. Lol

1304020791.jpg

The Fatalii isn't doing so great. As of Monday of this week I noticed a aphid problem starting. Of my 8 or so plants, this and my 7pod are the only one's with an aphid issue that seemingly popped up this week. I'm gonna spray diluted soap and citrus solution for this week. If they don't bag back, I'm ordering them polka dotted bugs!

1304020841.jpg

Experimented with starting peppers earlier than usual and have to say I'm pleased with the results. I started three initially but gave one to my Mom. These are the two I have left....

With your experience, is it better to have the short compact pepper plants or taller ones? These are mine...

0001.JPG

Hi MBS, in my experience I haven't had many tall plants. Two to be exact, all others have been rather compact. More bush like than tree like. One of the two tall plants did really well. I'd say it was on par with my short plants production wise. Fruit was easier to see and pic but it was a pain to move around and needed more anchoring than the others. Due to the size of the pots, they all needed a little help staying upright but this particular one was just that much more top heavy. The other tall plant didn't produce many pods. All my bushy plants produced lots of pods. So for manueverability I'd say short/compact was better but heading off possible issues like aphids took more work cause there are lots of places for pests to hide in the bushier plants.

Your plants look awesome! Most of those pots are the same size or bigger than pots I've used. This year being an exception. I see good things for your this year! :) What types are those? A couple look just like my Trini Perfume.

Back