• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pickled Pickled Habaneros

Every year I cut up some jalapenoes and pickle them for sandwiches and pizza topings. Recently I have been thinking about doing this with some Habs as an expiriment.

I presume this been done before. If you have done it, were the results good?

Does the Hab flavor mix well with the white vinigar?
Does the vinigar temper the Hab heat, or are they still as firey as they are fresh?

If I put them in the same jar as some pickled Japs, I wonder if the Habs will heat up the japs?!? Interesting experiment- superhot Japs...

I would do them by themselves and I have found you lose some heat but not much. If you start with really hot ones very much like Jalapenos that is what you end with when pickled. If you want to try something a friend showed me, slice a habanero, soak in the juice of one fresh lime and sprinkle with salt and consume. You will be surprised how much this tames the heat but brings on a new level of flavor.

I've found that the heat kind of averages out across the peppers in the brine.

Hotter peppers become milder, and milder peppers (when mixed with their opposite counterparts), become hotter.

I used a recipe I found for dill Pickles... It turned out quite Good I thought.

I left them sit for about a month in between making them, and consuming them.

You can pickle ANY kind of pepper. Just follow your standard pickling recipe. jsscrstrx is right on with the heats sort of averaging out. Habs will definitely heat up the jals.

Have Fun!

I've found that the heat kind of averages out across the peppers in the brine.

Hotter peppers become milder, and milder peppers (when mixed with their opposite counterparts), become hotter.

I used a recipe I found for dill Pickles... It turned out quite Good I thought.

I left them sit for about a month in between making them, and consuming them.

I find this to be somewhat true as well as i have made a few batches of pickled eggs with more then a few orange habs and i didn't get the heat i was thinking i was going to get.

I find this to be somewhat true as well as i have made a few batches of pickled eggs with more then a few orange habs and i didn't get the heat i was thinking i was going to get.
Now we're taking! Hot pickled eggs sound really good!

I've got a jar of sliced habs in the fridge that I just threw in vinegar. Let em sit for a couple of weeks and they are pretty tasty, don't get the softening that happens when you process and they are still fairly hot. Quick and easy fix although I also can jalapeños every year.

Back