• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

breeding Peter Cross contest sorta throwdown

I'm crossing my peters for fun . Hoping to create the John Peter. Anyone fancy a bit of fun. Have a stake or a little wager in seeds perhaps. Grading for colour, size , length, etc.I'd like to see some curyl ones and some stand-up candidates. I'm Pimenta de neyde might be interesting, scorp, errm . let me see.

Could be interesting but Peter peppers aren't all that "peter" like to start with and not that flavorful. It would be nice if you could get a good tasting pepper that always looked like a unit, but I'm sure this would be a very difficult challenge

Funny for special occasions, actually might be bad idea, some sick puppies out there who like chillies too much.

Seriously thought about crossing the two too but doubt the result would turn out as planned. I dunno, even if it did, not overly keen on having big "peters" hanging around in my garden....

I would plant out as many peters as you can the first season and find a couple that produce the shape you want the most consistently...then start your crosses with them. On that note...if you have 2 or 3 with pretty consistent shape then I would cross each of them with a different variety for size/tatste. Then you would have to grow out as many of the seeds from each cross that you have room for. This throwdown could take over a year (maybe less with annuums...but it does sound interesting. I would try a numex espanola...and cross each way. Quite a bit smaller than big jim but shape is closer. Good Luck!

Color would probably be an easier hybrid result. Trying to cross with a purple jalapeno, or a multi colored thai chili could be fun too.

Well. I got a head start.I want to have a bit of fun, but not perversion. You can imagine the headlines if it got outta hand.

Boom Boom

Neighbor: "Hey dude, why do you have rainbow colored #$%^@ growing in your yard?"

There's the conversation starter that you spoke of in action. I don't grow peters...I might if they got better reviews. Seems to me like they're a fairly inconsistent shape producer anyway. So even just selectively breeding the plants which are the most consistent shape producers could be a worth while venture. I am thinking of getting in on the weekend farmers market around here and I'd bet that those would be good sellers. I'll be watching for results.

When I originally grew them I wanted to sell them fresh and pickle them strategically with small white pearl onions for an X-rated jar of pickles, but they just don't taste good or have a the right shape consistantly to be a big seller

When I originally grew them I wanted to sell them fresh and pickle them strategically with small white pearl onions for an X-rated jar of pickles, but they just don't taste good or have a the right shape consistantly to be a big seller

Bummer. Even with a bad taste, I reckon you could still pull it off (no pun intended!) due to the novelty factor, but if they're not the right shape, well, that just won't work!

Were they salty? Shame on u,could a penits instead of pearls. Save the pearls for a pearl necklace. I'm sure,I could put one in me mouth.Test them on the mother- in- law.Yes, I am a naughty man.

just make sure you don't cross streams...

One guy used to sell Peter Peppers in a hot dog type container for several bucks each on the internet.
They were always running out of pods to sell.
I guess a little marketing does wonders.

Cross Wrinkled old man peppers with peters. LOL
Wrinkled old man peter peppers...

Sell a set of Kisser/Country girl and peter Peppers.
Cross them for Peter Kisser Hybrids.

Back