• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cloning Pepper Cloning

Im trying to find some info on cloning. I searched about 50 pages of the forums with no luck so if a topic already exists with the info im looking for someone please provide me with a link.
What id like to know is what are the pros and cons of cloning?
Is there a difference in the quality/potency of the pepper or plant?
Are cloned plants that root tone is used on safe to eat from?
Any special treatment other than temperature to successfully clone?
Anything natural I can use to boost the root growth or speed up the process?

Im sorta new to growing and never attempted to clone anything before. I have a reaper I topped and took the top and root toned a week ago. Today its showing its 1st sign of life a new leaf starting but still no roots? Id just like to understand the whole concept a little better. Hopefully one of you expert growers will be generous enough help me out.

for cloning, say you had 50 Butch-T plants and one grew twice as big with like 10 times more yield so you pick that one to clone.

What id like to know is what are the pros and cons of cloning?
pros:
time - you dont have to wait for seed to germinate, plant starts off bigger
identicle - its almost 100% identicle to the mother plant so most likely be almost as big and yield almost as much
Cons:
genterics - gentics are always lost so it wont be 100% the same, every clone after drops even more
quantity/quality - should have same quality taste heat, quantity might be little less

major things really is, its quicker to get going but you lose some genetic diversity from mother plant, first time cloning shouldnt see a difference really, after that you will.

Is there a difference in the quality/potency of the pepper or plant?
first clone, should not be no

Are cloned plants that root tone is used on safe to eat from?
depends on what one you use, some say and are made for vegetables and fruits, id go with that one, people say you can taste a difference still, some say you cant, but definatly go with one designed for veg/fruit

Any special treatment other than temperature to successfully clone?
never done cloning so maybe someone else will fill you in, ive heard of honey being used ect, but just sticking them in soil or hydroponics and water till roots.

Anything natural I can use to boost the root growth or speed up the process?
id say hydroponic systems definatly on that, and the root shit but be cautious on that stuff

Just so you know, cloning peppers is a lot less successful than cloning basil or rosemary. I tried several times over the fall and winter using several methods including rooting hormones and hydro systems and my first successful attempt was just recently using some butch T cuttings, just plain tap water on a windowsill + a ton of time. Here is a pic after a month in water. Not enough roots to plant yet. 

20130611_201212.jpg

I want to pipe in on the loss of genetic material from cloning ... that has mostly been dissproved.

You can clone and expect no loss in vigor or senascence as its called. At least with cannabis I know first hand elites that don't keep mother plants. They preserve their plant by taking a clone ...growing it out...taking a clone from the clone ...and repeating this process. Some have done this for over twenty years with no perceived loss in vigor or potency from the original.

True... peppers are not cannabis so it could be different...but its doubtfull. You can clone and expect an identical copy for as long as your likely to have interest in the plant. I'm sure you'll be on to other things long before your going to see senesance or clone degregation.

This is from someone I know with a twenty year old strain.

For first hand experience ...I have an original mother plant from seed ...and I also have clone of a clone out to ten "generations" that came off that mother. When I flower side by side ...you wouldn't be able to tell one bit of difference. I am a legal med grower for the record.

Point is...if you want to clone...go for it with full confidence the clone will be like the original.

Just my first hand experience ...and second hand experience from people that have been doing it with cannabis for a long time.

Best of luck.

ive had no luck doing hydro cloning... but im about 75% on using the aerogarden and the plug it comes with to clone...no rooting hormone.. just the liquid nutes it goes with.. humidity is the key. make sure you provide it
about to snip a labuyo so i can root it =D PAUL G is also good at cloning..

Good info you guys. I topped a reaper plant sense the 1 I ordered had 2 separate stalks growing and stuck it in some rockwool in a cut down plastic cup. Its been over a week now and the stem and the 1 leaf it had are still green and 1 new leaf is starting to form. I did however use some schultz root take. Hopefully it will root soon so I can have 2 reapers going!
Thanks again for the info
Also the plant I cloned was only 6-8wks old so hopefully that wont have an effect on thijgs. But so far so good I think lol

I have had a bad run at trying to get clones going.  The pepper I tried to take them off was a Trinidad Scorpion but it had already suffered a little leaf drop being the end of the season.  I made up some willow water and soaked some jiffy 7's in it before whacking in the cuttings.  Of 5 I had, 1 put out roots which I planted out before they were established enough to support it. I have since decided a bubble cloner is the order of the day and will report back on how much success I have.

At the moment I am excellent at making dead miniature pepper plants from larger ones.

How funny I just saw this, and I've been researching this topic for a bit . Yesterday I bought all the stuff to make a cloner, I'm no expert, but I think it's like an aerogarden. Some people from the cannabis forum talk about just rooting them with tap water and just a lil but of superthrive which is a B vitamin I believe. Roots organics make good organic hydro nutes, as I researched and lots of users are satisfied with it. So no chems here.

If you guys want I'll do a write up on how to do it, and have it here in detail with pics. Just LMK.

, Walter

ZenPepper said:
I cloned my brain strain last month with tap water and honey on tips, easy, and it works.

Having never heard this before, I googled it. Very interesting. I'll be trying it this fall to see if I have better success than I have so far.

willard3 said:
Chiles are not weed....stop making comparisons with weed, it is only misleading.
Correct. they are not the same plant.

If you have better first hand experience then share it we are all here to learn (at least I am). Have you cloned chillis out to twenty years? How about ten generations? Taking a clone from a clone from a clone?

The OP was asking about cloning... the information is very relevant. To ignore first hand experience of that extent is foolish even though its a different plant.

There's many areas where the knowledge base overlaps. To say otherwise is more than misleading...its down right silly.

Jeff H said:
Having never heard this before, I googled it. Very interesting. I'll be trying it this fall to see if I have better success than I have so far.
thats what people used to root branches for bonsai for like hundreds of years, way before the hormones and chemicals, it works ;)

also like said above dont compare weed and pepper plants, totally different. if your going to clone id say do it once and dont clone the clone, use seeds

Yea I plan on cloning for the sole purpose of seeds. I really should probably wait until after I move to start cloning any more. Idk what the weather is in the winters where im going but im hoping norcal is far warmer in the winter than here. Id love to be able to grow them year round outside then no need to clone just grow giants!

Back