• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media peat pucks, or rock wool?

Hey guys, I'm looking at these two in particular for germination because i am terrible at transplanting seedlings. I'm just after some opinions from anyone to help me with my decision. Cheers guys and gals :)

so far from my results, anything but peat pods. Havent tried rock wool yet but have seen others with great results. The Peat is too acidic and the R wool is PH neutral so I would bank on the R wool.

I used peat pellets this season and had no problems with ph at all. Got around 60% but the low % is my fault i over watered the pellets and the seeds rotted :oops::crazy:

Actually rock wool is not Ph neutral. It is VERY alkaline and need to be soaked in water adjusted to Ph 5.5 for best results if you plan on growing the seeds out in them. If you are just germinating them and then moving the seeds to soil, it is not necessary though. I prefer rockwool to the paper towel method or the peat pucks personally.

jacob

that's exactly what i wanted to hear Jacob, but will still double up. I'm never putting all my eggs in one basket again, so disappointing waiting a month and half to realise you have to start over again. I went in to the switched on gardner here, they were very helpful. The guy there was telling me about the alkalinity during the production of the wool. he suggested to flood with boiling water to neutralise it. I'm getting excited already, and have still got a couple months before i should start... i think.

as far as I know peat pucks are neutral. The only way for them to become acidic is by using water that has a low pH level.

I tried using Jiffy peat pucks as well on Habanero seeds and all the seeds just rot in the peat.

No more peat for my peppers. that's for sure.

I have mixed emotions about the peat pucks. You see, I got EXCELLENT germination out of them but for some reason I never got true leaves. I kept waiting and waiting for them to sprout true leaves before I transplanted them and it never happened so in the end I lost alot of very viable seedlings. They are easy to use and I didn't get any fungus on them like I did on some of the peat trays with starter soil. That was my fault too for overwatering them and not enough air movement. I learned alot this year growing the little guys. Ended up with about 200 seedlings that were viable. Took about 90 to work and handed them out because I was running out of space. Opps...bit off topic. Sorry :shame: ...Haven't tried rockwool but was interested in it. Let me know how and if it works out for you Grimus. ;)

Also since there's a huge abundance of coco husks and rice hulls in my country.

Local companies have been mixing them in the starter mixes. And from what i've read coco husks are better than peat and very sustainable too.

=D

rockwool can be found in my country but are usually used as insulation here. hmmm which reminds me, I should ask the local hardware store how much rockwool is here.

I'd forget the peat pots and use rockwool for sure if those were my only choices. People spend lots of time ammending their peat soil but I find it strange how many use straight peat(jiffys) for their young seedlings, and the netting is just a pain in the butt.
I prefer to use a good loose, pH'd, well drained peat based mix in cells or small pots

Maligator said:
I have mixed emotions about the peat pucks. You see, I got EXCELLENT germination out of them but for some reason I never got true leaves. I kept waiting and waiting for them to sprout true leaves before I transplanted them and it never happened so in the end I lost alot of very viable seedlings. They are easy to use and I didn't get any fungus on them like I did on some of the peat trays with starter soil. That was my fault too for overwatering them and not enough air movement. I learned alot this year growing the little guys. Ended up with about 200 seedlings that were viable. Took about 90 to work and handed them out because I was running out of space. Opps...bit off topic. Sorry :shame: ...Haven't tried rockwool but was interested in it. Let me know how and if it works out for you Grimus. ;)

I had the same problem with coir pucks. Solution; water with a very dilute 16-16-16 or one of your choice. This got me to the second set of true leaves and subsequent potting up. Try it; you'll like it. ;)

Peat of any physical form will change ph as you water it and it rots/decomposes. Rock wool doesn't rot/decompose and Ph control is a snap.

Not all rockwool needs to be Ph corrected to start.

Nothing holds water and air in the proper proportions so well as rockwool.

I know alot of people have had great results with peat pucks, I myself have not, tried them the last 2 years and have had horrible germination %50 and less rockwool has not been much better for me.
I have had %90+ germination in potting soil and pro-mix, and recently started using sure to grow cubes and have had %100 with that on bhuts and 7 Pods 12/12 all came up in less then 2 weeks.
everyones results may vary but for me no more peat/jiffy pucks.

I would also like to note that I gave bhut seeds to a friend from the same batch as the ones I put in the STG cubes and his still have not germinated after 3 weeks he put some in wet paper towels in a plastic bag and some in rockwool, and so far has ZERO germination while all of mine have all grown their first sets of true leaves already.
only other thing I did different was soak mine in a weak green tea solution for an hour before placing in cubes.

I haven't tried rockwool. The coffee filter method is about as easy as it gets, minus the transplanting to a grow medium. Great % of germination. Also used, (I think their coir) Burpee Super Grow Pellets....no netting, work well in the small cells. Good germination results and hold whatever moisture you put in them. Very light and airy. That said, think I will stay with they coffee filter method and move as needed next year.

Just another opinion to add to the list. I have tried both as of now. Last year I did rockwool and still have a ton left. This year I did peat pucks and germination wise it was a pretty good success. So I think where I stand im pretty well off either way. I think as far as watering goes the rockwool is a little less cumbersome since I can just dump the water in the tray and leave the rockwool to just soak it up.

I believe medium type usually has little to do with germination where only moisture and heat are really required, its more important just after germination

Back