• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Patrick's 2011 Grow Log

Here we are again. I can't believe how fast the time goes by anymore. My pops always said the older you get the faster it passes us by.

I am especially excited about this year, I'm going to try and cross a couple of peppers, on purpose! Haven't made the final decisions yet though.

Anyway, here's a few that I overwintered. The one on the left came from a 7 Pod Barrackpore cutting. It struggled for a bit but the roots are starting to grow so I'm hopeful. Center front is a "large" 7 Pod, center rear was a very robust Dorset Naga and the one on the right is a 7 Pod Primo. The latter three I removed from 5-7 gal pots, trimmed the roots and cut them down to just the stem. They sat in my foyer where they got some limited sunlight through a window. I'm very happy with them.

IMG_6508.jpg

This is the first tray of seeds I stuck in coco coir last night. I've had success before with this medium as a seed starting mix so see no reason to change. It is nutrient poor so I start using fertilizer at an early stage in the plants life, at a very reduced rate.

IMG_6506800x600.jpg

Here is what I've started so far:

7 Pod, Brain Strain PRF…………………………..………........ 5
7 Pod, Brown Judy………………………………..………............ 6
Bhut Jolokia, Yellow…………………………………..………........ 5
Pimenta Tiger, AISPES004...................... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Butch T Judy…………….………...... 8
Trinidad Scorpion, Chocolate AISPES108…....……. 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Morouga HSC……………….……....... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow AISPES109..……....... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow 2 SS………………….………..... 5
Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow Morouga AISPES107...…3

Not all of them are in the photo.

They are on a cookie sheet which is on a heat pad. Current temp in the coco coir varies from 75F - 80F. I would like it warmer and may mess with the heating pad settings. I plan on picking up a couple of heat mats tomorrow for more trays.

I have several other varieties to get started and would like to keep my total at under 90 plants.

Here we go! :woohoo:

Thanks all. It is a kick to see those first couple of hooks.

Good to hear the seeds are doing their thing Grimus, hope they keep it up.

Hey Hey Millman! Good to see you man.

I overwintered a 7 Pod Primo, 7 Pod large, seeds came from AJ last year and a Dorset Naga. I have a 7 Pod Barrackpore growing from a cutting I took. Couple of them have flowers and a few small pods. Crazy stuff man.

They're only 3 oz cups for now, more of them fit on the cookie sheet than anything larger. The cookie sheet is setting on a regular old heat pad on setting two of four possible. Coco coir temps are in the mid to upper 70's with a few in the center a couple of degrees warmer.

Last Friday I picked up a single tray sized heat mat and a tray with lid. Temps in there are in the upper 80's and I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with that. Have to wait and see.

I am having a bit of success with the Pimenta Tiger AISPES004 as all five seeds have germinated, first two in six days, second two at days 7 and 8 and the fifth one today at day nine.

IMG_6527800x600.jpg

IMG_6526800x600.jpg

IMG_6522800x600.jpg

Great start Patrick. Glad to hear the tiger's are doing well that should be a fun one to see what we end up with. My tiger seeds were the worst looking of the group. Just sowed them last night. Wow I had no idea how long it takes to sow 216 seeds... that was brutal. Was up till 3. LOL

Looks like you are off to a good start Patrick...good luck with the seasons grow...

Thanks guys.

Hope that eye isn't too close Millman, might scare me.

216 seeds?! Michael you have been hit hard by the pepper bug bro! Is that all of them or is there more? How many did you grow last year again? :lol:

Had 55 or so, and about 15 grew well. Shooting for 100 plants this season most in the ground. Some fun ones in pots for backup and to make isolation easier if I like the end result.

If germination goes well I am done if I don't get enough plants out of my first try, I will make the difference up with big Jims and biker billy's.

Update time! With pictures no less! I'm such a geek. Anyway as of today I currently have 15 babies. Five of the Pimenta Tigers, Three T.S. Butch T, two of the following: T.S. Morouga Yellow AISPES, 7 Pod Brain Strain, and two T.S. Yellow. Finally one 7 Pod Jonah. I'm starting to see one or two per day now and I expect that to increase.

On to the photos!

First up is the light set up for the seedlings. Same as last year basically.

IMG_6539800x600.jpg

These are the seedlings that have broken through and are displaying their cotyledons.

IMG_6538800x600.jpg

Sexy close up. Sorry about the blur.

IMG_6540800x600.jpg

Great start Patrick!

So those are 3oz cups? Where do you go next? 8oz cups, 16oz cups? pots? ground? :lol:

Looking forward to following along this year.

Good to see you hear Dibs and thanks for busting your post count cherry on my thread. I think you have to pay me $20 now. :whistle:

River I go to 16 oz cups next then one gallon and then onto 5, 7 or larger pots. I may even stick a few in the ground this year. See where it goes.

Thanks for the kind words.

Patrick, I was a firm believer in just pots until last year. I was amazed at how much better the plants in the ground did than the ones in pots. You should try it on at least a few.

Well I figure you pretty much got me into this hobby, so its only fitting that i post on ur log first lol!

Ive been trying to figure out myself if I should put them in ground or in 5 gal buckets.

BTW, im using the same exact flouro lights on mine Patrick lol.

Your grow list has me sweating already! hopefully it'll be another good hot summer. I just started mine today...laaaate! good luck the cross pat. we'll have to get together again, I don't think I had my bhut extract last time

Your grow list has me sweating already! hopefully it'll be another good hot summer. I just started mine today...laaaate! good luck the cross pat. we'll have to get together again, I don't think I had my bhut extract last time

Back