• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Pasta sauce recipe?

Bobby Flay is my homeboy...

bobby_flay_me.jpg

Dayum! Boss!!! Hangin' with the big dawgs. Does bobby still pronounce chipotle chi-po-t o -lay?
:lol:

Halve them, put them cut side up on a sheet pan, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, S&P, any fresh herbs you have around, toss on some peeled garlic cloves, put it in a 275 oven and forget it for a couple of hours. When the tops are dry, but the fruit isn't shriveled up, put it through a food mill. Best pasta sauce you will make.

nmlarson great idea, if you actually put them cut side down and do the same thing, you can just "pinch" the skins off when they are soft.

But correct the cookie sheet method of roasting tomatoes is another great one.

Worked at a joint that did it... pinched the skins off, then blended...

The Hot Pepper said:
Also I LOVE caponata. It is served on crusty bread but I have even slapped it on a roll for a sammie.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016445-caponata

I tend to like the less sweet ones so if any recipe has sugar, I do not add. But this one looks good just trust me and leave out the sugar. :)
From Cooking with the New York Times

Caponata
MARTHA ROSE SHULMAN
YIELDServes 6 to 8
TIME1 hour, plus 1 hour's optional refrigeration

Andrew Scrivani for The New York Times

Caponata is a Sicilian sweet and sour version of ratatouille. Because eggplant absorbs flavors like a sponge, its particularly good in such a pungent dish. Like most eggplant dishes, this gets better overnight. Its meant to be served at room temperature, and I like it cold as well. It makes a great topping for bruschetta.

INGREDIENTS
1 ½ pounds eggplant (1 large), roasted
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, from the inner, tender stalks (the heart), diced
3 large garlic cloves, minced
2 red bell peppers, diced
Salt to taste
1 pound ripe tomatoes, preferably romas, peeled, seeded and finely chopped, or 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes (in puree)
3 heaped tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
3 tablespoons coarsely chopped pitted green olives
2 tablespoons plus a pinch of sugar
3 tablespoons red or white wine vinegar or sherry vinegar (more to taste)
freshly ground pepper to taste

PREPARATION
Roast the eggplant, allow to cool and chop coarsely.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat in a large, heavy nonstick skillet and add the onion and celery. Cook, stirring, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes, and add the garlic. Cook together for a minute, until the garlic begins to smell fragrant, and add the peppers and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cook, stirring, until just about tender, about 8 minutes. Add another tablespoon of oil and the eggplant, and stir together for another 5 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. The eggplant will fall apart, which is fine. Season to taste.
Add the tomatoes to the pan with about 1/2 teaspoon salt and a pinch of sugar. Cook, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan often, for 5 to 10 minutes, until the tomatoes have cooked down somewhat and they smell fragrant. Add the capers, olives, remaining sugar, and vinegar. Turn the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, for 20 to 30 minutes, until the vegetables are thoroughly tender and the mixture is quite thick, sweet, and fragrant. Season to taste with salt and pepper and remove from the heat. Allow to cool to room temperature. If possible, cover and chill overnight. Serve at room temperature.
Have you cooked this? Mark as Cooked

The Hot Pepper said:
nmlarson great idea, if you actually put them cut side down and do the same thing, you can just "pinch" the skins off when they are soft.

But correct the cookie sheet method of roasting tomatoes is another great one.

Worked at a joint that did it... pinched the skins off, then blended...
Thanks for the tip! I'm usually doing tons of end-of-season tomatoes and usually just break out the food mill because the quantity is worth the effort of cleaning it. This tip is great for when you're working with smaller quantities! I'll definitely put it to use.

This freezes beautifully, too.

Plus, i figure any recipe made here on thp ASSUMES hot peppers in some way, shape or form. :lol:ASSUMES

Frickin kindle.....:,grrr:

salsalady said:
You can't go wrong with-
fresh tomatoes
fresh basil
fresh garlic
fresh onion (not too much!)
maybe a caper or two (or 10 ;) )
salt

other additions----
fresh oregano (just a bit)
fresh marjoram?
black pepper

Oh Man!  That recipe is making me hungry!

3 cups tomatoes
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves chiffonade
2 Tbsp crushed garlic
1/2 cup fine chopped onion
2 tsp capers
1-2 tsp salt

serve with a wide noodle like linguine, fettuccine or a chunky piece pasta like penne or farfalle.

And LOTS of parm!   plus your choice of red or yellow chile pepper flakes/powder.

oh boy I have 18 tomato plants most of them heirlooms so needless to say I will be making some today as I have 10 basil plants, fresh thyme, Greek oregano and Italian , shallots and chives to use and of course garlic :)

oh and maybe a couple mild peppers I have some serrano's and fresno's just starting to turn red. 

Weird that recipe says canned but they look fresh. Oh well. My recipe is better :P

Back