• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering overwintering idea ....

So when you have a rose bush you're supposed to cut it back and cover it will something like straw/hay during the winter. Then remove it in the spring to let it start growing again.

I'm think about trying this with a jalapeno just for the heck of it. Good idea? Stupid idea? or what?? :?:

feel free to say i'm the dumbest human on earth to think of even trying this, but what do you guys think? will it work or should i just give it a shot and see what happens?

if it doesnt get 32 degrees F, then you might have a slim chance of it living. but otherwise I'd bring it inside to increase your chances of it living through the winter.

Hi Peter Pepper,

I had the exact same thought last year and for the same reason (though I was thinking about my grape plants) and tried it with all my pepper plants. I thought that if I could find even one plant that could survive our (extreme) cold and snow, that would be great. None survived. Maybe you have milder winters than we have here in Manitoba and it will work for you. I'm just going to transplant a few plants into pots and bring them in for the Winter.

Good luck with your experiment. I still think that some plant scientists should try to develop a strain that could survive harsh winters. If it ever happens I'll be all over the result.

I agree with what others have said, you don't have a mild enough winter to leave that poor pepper outside. Take it in if you want to save it.

TRUE overwintering (ala willard) takes very little space, and very little care. They could probably even be sealed in a trash bag in a cooler in a garage or shed.

Note that I myself have yet mastered or even tried this, but I intend to this year!

Me too Potowie! But you have seen that picture he has. With no leaves how would the plant even know if there was light?

I think his plants just go back into a hydroponic system and grow new roots and shoots, but no "overwintering" just cutting back.

It will, but for how many months is the question. They might be fine for 3 months or so, but I would need 5 or 6.

Indiana would need even more.

It works for me.
I usually go for 4-5 months, but this year I'm trying it with much less light and cooler environment.

It would be best to simulate what happens in T&T probably. Short of that, the longer you could stretch out the dormancy the better.

Mine did well for a long time growing under lights, but eventually, after 5 months or so, they all started to wilt and drop leaves.

Putting off the vegetative growth for a few months would have been ideal! Then they would have been prime for a spring transplant.

LABEL CAREFULLY!!!;) You think you know them by sight but when they re-grow, you wil be amazed which ones you can't even recognize.

Back