• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Overwinter temperatures

If all you are after is keeping the plant and root system intact, what do you suppose the lowest temperature would be?  Learned last year that it just doesn't pay to heat a hoop house and try to continue production in the winter.  But wondering if it might be worth it to sort of over winter, trying to get a head start on spring with an established root system.

Thoughts?

AJ Drew said:
If all you are after is keeping the plant and root system intact, what do you suppose the lowest temperature would be?  Learned last year that it just doesn't pay to heat a hoop house and try to continue production in the winter.  But wondering if it might be worth it to sort of over winter, trying to get a head start on spring with an established root system.

Thoughts?

From what I understand and my own (limited) experience has shown, is that they will live as long as they don't freeze but won't do well. If you can keep them at or above 50 degrees overnight low, that is ideal.

austin87 said:

From what I understand and my own (limited) experience has shown, is that they will live as long as they don't freeze but won't do well. If you can keep them at or above 50 degrees overnight low, that is ideal.
Like he said , anything above freezing.
Where I live , we get frost and the occasional freeze in winter . The plants outside die and those in a small unheated wooden garden shed do really well. A difference of maybe 3-5 degrees Celsius.

My goal started at year round production in Kentucky.  Tried heating my high tunnel and it was way too expensive.  But I think having a full root system as spring starts would be worth heating to 50 degrees when needed.  Cant be fully sure until I try.

Back