• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer Over Fertilized or Nutrient Deficient?

This is my Trinidad Perfume plant grown under these conditions. The plant is fertilized with an organic 5-7-3 powder fertilizer and has been watered a couple times with a 1/4 - 1/2 strength dose of an organic 4-3-3 liquid fertilizer.

I believe this pot has some dolomite lime in it, although I'm unsure. I know, I should have marked this plant better.

The plant on the left is this plant one week ago. The growth has taken off, but the leaf development has turned ugly. Since this picture was taken, there have been no changes to the plant other than flushing it once the leaves started to develop like this.

The growth has turned all bubbly and crinkly, the leaves are warping and some of the leaves are getting yellowish spots appearing on them. I've began to flush the plant with plain tap water in attempt to remove the fertilizer I've over done. I flushed the plant a week before this and still it is acting up. I don't believe there are any pests because I'm growing indoors, but I still haven't checked.

Thoughts? Thanks for your time!

moruga welder said:
i've tried dr. earths before , not very impressed with it . its heavy , need to go 1/3 perlite to soil . i go just a little more than 1/3 , 

Heavy as in fertilizer? Or heavy as in density/mass

Don't see anything wrong with those plants, Doctor Earth is not a bad soil but as Moruga said it need something to lighten it up. Most of these plants are in f2/f3. Wont see stable for awhile. Think of it as a human, even after f5 its still a kiddo. Still learning to walk and to fend off the bullies, bugs, diseases, ect. Sorry for posting.

Voodoo 6 said:
Don't see anything wrong with those plants, Doctor Earth is not a bad soil but as Moruga said it need something to lighten it up. Most of these plants are in f2/f3. Wont see stable for awhile. Think of it as a human, even after f5 its still a kiddo. Still learning to walk and to fend off the bullies, bugs, diseases, ect. Sorry for posting.

This is actually a really interesting theory man. Never be sorry for posting! I love hearing new ideas and perspectives. I never thought of the generation factor. I guess we're so used to our plants being damn near perfect we forget about the genetics of the plant. The Trinidad Perfume is an uncommon variety, unlike the jalapeño that is many many many generations old and is an extremely stable pepper.

I'll keep an eye on the plant, the development just seems weird. But its growing. That's all that matters. Let's see where it goes!

i've tried dr. earths before , not very impressed with it . its heavy , need to go 1/3 perlite to soil . i go just a little more than 1/3 ,
It looks like your plants are overwatered.

obeychase said:
The growth has turned all bubbly and crinkly, the leaves are warping and some of the leaves are getting yellowish spots appearing on them.

Thoughts? Thanks for your time!

I've seen hundreds of pix with wrinkled, crinkled or shriveled and yellowing..... Try these:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/47658-wrinkles-leaves-diagnosis-assistance-por-favor/
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/16834-distorted-curled-leaves/
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/54475-distortedwrinkled-leaves-on-carolina-reaper/
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32173-is-this-what-people-call-crinkle-leaf/

If you read through the replies you'll note many different opinions as to reason with just as many solutions to the issue. My research has turned up one central theme, it's very common with C. chinense. Here's a pic of mine from last year....

IMG_0712_zpschlfylxz.jpg

Two things, you'll note it didn't stop fruit production but I was able to "corral" it with Witch's Brew... https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=Calcium%20Acetate%20witch%27s%20brew&oq=Calcium%20Acetate%20witch%27s%20brew&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS592US593&aqs=chrome..69i57.7351j0j7

Edit:  Forgot, the plant is TRINIDAD SCORPION CHOCOLATE from Cross Country Nurseries and here's a pic of the ripe/harvested fruit.

IMG_0788_zps2glmevek.jpg

My plants look exactly like that every year after the heavy rains start. At first, it overlaps my regular watering schedule, resulting in a "disruption". Once things stabilize, my leaves flatten out, and all is well. So that's the basis of my overwatering theory.

A brand new potting mix shouldn't be calcium deficient... *shouldn't*

LineUp1_45_Trimmed_zpsurwg4xvg.png

As you can see I grew a few different C. chinense last year. All were treated the same, when the pot got light or the leaves started to droop they got watered. Yet if you look at the pix below you'll note varying degrees of leaf curl, some with only new growth curling.

Shrivled_Leaves_1_zpsuutb0nmf.jpg

Shrivled_Leaves_2_zps9ub0b5b5.jpg

Shrivled_Leaves_3_zpsff3iwtmj.jpg

I use an acronym in situations like these, YMMV. As you can see I had a different situation than yours and on another forum a member fixed his crinkling by flushing his 5-1-1 potting mix and using limited nutes for a couple of weeks:

Well, seems that all of my plants have done a complete "180" in the past couple of weeks. I backed off on the ferts and flushed the containers out a few times with water in a desperate attempt to "start fresh." All is well now, and I'm a happy camper once again 
grin.png
 New growth looks nice and healthy, and they're pumping out great sized pods. Hope everybody else who's been battling the "CCN vs. 5-1-1 War" is having a smoother ride than before! 

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm going to do the best thing I can for this plant, leave it alone.

If anything changes, I'll report back!

Back