• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

fertilizer Over a Dozen FREE FERTILIZERS Hot Peppers just love.

I've been a fan of collecting Free Fertilizers for some time now.
My two favorite Free Fertilizers are the first two...I get buckets of them at a time:

* Coffee Grounds...try Starbucks...or I get mine also from a local Pancake house. They are irresistable to Earthworms.
* Eggshells...instant calcium.
* Wood Ash...who has a fireplace that you know?
* Sawdust (Sawdust and Wood Ash are very alkaline...so mix with Acidic fertilizers if necessary like Coffee Grounds)
* Grass Clippings... a never ending supply from neighbors...and what a great mulch to conserve moisture.
* Tree Chips.I get truckloads of this Free from Tree removal folks. Let it rot & 'Heat up' in a pile for quik fertilizer.
* Autumn Leaves....up North...and Midwest and Northeast and Northwest... Shred them first for a quicker release.
* Fish heads and entrails...local Seafood markets. Get Shrimp casings too.
* Compost...make your own and save those kitchen scraps.
* Seaweed...if you are lucky enough to be near the beach.
* Mussel and small clam shells like the Cherrystones. Chop them up with a shovel as you are burying in the garden.
* Straw...from a construction business...or Highway crew...
* Slage or compost...many counties provide this for free....
* Pine Needles...have a nearby Pine forest?
* Horse manure from nearby stables.

Well, you get the idea. I like Organic gardening, so with a few tweaks Organic works too. Like only getting grass clippings from neighbors that don't put chemicals on their lawns. But most of this list can be organic with paying some attention to details. Earthworms LOVE most of this stuff...so they multiply like crazy and leave their fertile castings behind. You know what that is? MORE FREE FERTILIZER. :)
Fiery Regards and Great Gardening,
Pepper Joe
:dance: :lol: :dance: :lol: :dance:

will horse poop burn the plants?
that all depends if you feed the horse hot pepper!! also it may burn the horse LOL :onfire:
sorry could not resist, well actually i could have i just didnt want to Lol :lol:

no i dont think so its best to water it in after you apply it and you really dont have to put it right against the plant you can "target feed"it within about a 4 inch space around the plant

i use pine needles,kitchen waste,coffee grounds,leaves,grass, and at the end of every season the cut up plants

hope this helps thanks your friend joe

thanks for the info ajijoe. i know some people that have horse and i'm sure they're not saving the squat! i might try it if i can stomach it!

HEY PJ
IT LOOKS LIKE WE GARDEN VERY SIMILAR

I TRY NOT TO LET ANYTHING ORGANIC GO TO WAIST

IM THINKING COME SPRING IM GOING FISHING FOR SUNFISH AND BLUEGILLS TO BURY IN THE GARDEN THE WAY THE AMERICAN INDIANS DID IT

oh sorry didnt realize i was shouting i really need to look up now and again i suck at typing i always have

anyway bluegills and sunfish are willing bitters and theres no limit on them so yes good fert!!

hope this will help others

thanks joe

Horse poo is pretty gentle, a lot of the time you can see the grass still in it so its a lot like semi mature compost. I have gone to stables many times and got trailer loads and bought it home and planted straight into it with no problems. If your worried put a little bit of soil into the planting hole so the plant can reach out and touch the poo at its own pace.

Nice list JOE, I am lucky enough to have 7 of those Items right here on the farm.

About the horse pooo, most horse farms tend to feed filler hay like first crop a lot of grass, low in protein and just a few hand fulls of grain type mixture per day so its fairly mild, not like chicken shit.

A few years back I used configuration technique to deliver almost fresh cow manure to the plants with out killing them, the pics are self explanatory, I let the water hose run over the manure in the center giving them a shot of nitro, I did that about once a week, other wise watered business as usual.

This technique works fine for peppers, I used the same configuration with the exception of a five gallon bucket in the middle with 1/8" holes drilled all the way around the bottom, just fill it up and go for the next one, simple but affective,

Cheers, SC

compost_circles_001.jpg

compost_circles_002.jpg

compost_circles_003.jpg

All manures should generally be aged before use with the exception of tecniques like above. The biggest problem with horse manure is the amount of weed seeds that are not digested. Cow manure has much less weeds due to the 4 stomach digestion process

Nice list JOE, I am lucky enough to have 7 of those Items right here on the farm.

About the horse pooo, most horse farms tend to feed filler hay like first crop a lot of grass, low in protein and just a few hand fulls of grain type mixture per day so its fairly mild, not like chicken shit.

A few years back I used configuration technique to deliver almost fresh cow manure to the plants with out killing them, the pics are self explanatory, I let the water hose run over the manure in the center giving them a shot of nitro, I did that about once a week, other wise watered business as usual.

This technique works fine for peppers, I used the same configuration with the exception of a five gallon bucket in the middle with 1/8" holes drilled all the way around the bottom, just fill it up and go for the next one, simple but affective,

Cheers, SC

compost_circles_001.jpg

Jeff, That's brilliant...and those pics are great. I'm impressed.

compost_circles_002.jpg
compost_circles_003.jpg

Most fresh manures are considered "hot", meaning they require some aging/composting prior to being used to amend the soil. The only manure I've heard of that can be used straight from the shute is rabbit manure. I've heard it's awesome stuff.

All I need is a rabbit or two, I reckon.

Great list Joe.

Most fresh manures are considered "hot", meaning they require some aging/composting prior to being used to amend the soil. The only manure I've heard of that can be used straight from the shute is rabbit manure. I've heard it's awesome stuff.

All I need is a rabbit or two, I reckon.

Great list Joe.

Alpaca dung doesn't require composting and won't burn plants, either.

Jamie

Is there any redeeming qualities to dryer lint? I'm guessing no since almost everything is synthetic now....
Woody, No way would I go there to dryer lint. Too many other good fertilizers...and you're right...synthetic stuff in there I wouldn't want to feed to my chile Plants. :dance: :lol: :dance: :lol: :dance: :lol:

Yep... will do. I love seeing pictures & love taking 'em too.

Here's one i snapped yesterday morning after we got a little light rain here ...

(wild tepins & 1 scorpion)

P1010882web.JPG

Back