• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Other Nightshades.

Who has grown Solanum alternopinatum? I would like to know whether is recommended or required to have more than one plant for succesful pollinization and fruit set. Seeds are available in the US, someone must have grown this species.

I have never grown that one but have others in that group. All are very difficult to get fruits from in my zone. It is more climate than anything but I would not discourage you from growing multiple plants as well as planting near a tree or 5m trellis.

I should have a few from the Yucatán to post soon.

I have never grown that one but have others in that group. All are very difficult to get fruits from in my zone. It is more climate than anything but I would not discourage you from growing multiple plants as well as planting near a tree or 5m trellis.

Some seeds hit the dirt already ☺️ I'll give them a trellis to play with, not high but very wide.
I'm curious about what you have to show from the Yucatán. I've never strolled into the woods there.

Last edited:
Well well, surprise surprise... I just went to check up on my plants and noticed the first Solanum alternopinatum has germinated (9 days). I had no idea about what to expect, but 9 days is very reasonable for impatient personalities like me 😬 . Now waiting for the rest - I think I put 6 seeds in that pot.

solanumalternopinatum-20240502_101816.jpg

Back