• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic Organic Snail/Slug Repellant...Lava Rock?

Does anyone here have experience with using lava rock as a snail/slug repellant? If you have actual experience with this remedy, I'd really appreciate any feedback you may have. Thanks.

Jim, I would love to help you out with your query, but I've never really had a slug/snail problem. I've heard of the DE and beer traps, but never tried anything myself.

I've been setting up cornmeal bait. I put 1 TBSP of cornmeal in an eight oz mason jar and set it on its side next the plants that the slugs have been targeting. They always go to the cornmeal and leave the plants alone. Another supposed benefit is that the cornmeal is supposed to expand in their digestive tract and kill them. Now I've not seen any dead slugs sitting on top of my garden, but I'm happy enough to just give them alternate food source so they leave my plants alone.

I'm trying to stick to organic remedies, if possible. It's my understanding that snails/slugs will not cross over the lava rock because of its sharp edges, similar to diatomaceous earth. The benefit of the rock would be that it won't wash away, and might even look halfway decent. I could pick it up at the season's end, and use it again the following season. For now, I'll go with Sluggo, but the lava rock remedy seems better to me, if it really works.

Maybe Pepper-Guru will weigh in.  I'd like his take on it.

Roguejim said:
[...] It's my understanding that snails/slugs will not cross over the lava rock because of its sharp edges [...]

Snails are awesome creatures :

15356_thumb.jpg

Sluggo sprinkled on mulched areas around your home (where they thrive) will knock them out. I found they avoid my plants when I spray them with epsom salt (which also helps the plant to get magnesium sultate).

Soffit screen works too. 6" X 50' rolls available at any hardware store.
You can make slug fences around individual plants, or your entire garden.
just burry it an inch or two in the ground. They won't climb it.

View attachment 5397

Back