• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Orchid's and such

Hi all,
I've recently come into possession of a few orchid plants.

Now i have very little idea regarding how to keep them alive, please lend me your thoughts.

The group, 3 pots of vanilla (on the right side) and a mystery orchid. The mystery orchid is a gift from a orchid lover.
tfu29tqx.jpeg

Can anyone tell me what this is?
3AvdWCKY.jpeg

The flowers of the mystery orchid
aXCfU2UO.jpeg

Thanks all for browsing!

Very nice; here, check out this link;

http://everything-orchids.com/types-of-orchids.html

By the way, morning sun (early), let them go dry sometimes (for a day or two) and feed them about once a week and then go a week or 2 without feeding. When you pot them up get some medium coarse coir, soak it and rinse it. Get some real charcoal (chunky) and fill the pot 3/4 full of coir and then put the orchid in and place the chunks of charcoal around, under and on the roots and throw in a little bit of coir in the spaces. I'll post a photo of what it looks like. Cheers.

Edit; if they're outside in nature just let things happen (rain etc.) With the charcoal feeding becomes less important because they get nutrients from it. As long as the roots don't sit in water they can handle all the rain that falls and the charcoal drains very well. I use the orchid pots (Terracotta only) with all of the side holes in them.
As much as I can I also plant my orchids in/on our trees; the roots will attach themselves and then you don't have to do anything except water them during the dry season.

NICE.

Thanks for the link, Verne. And for all the tips you gave me, i just know it that orchid are going to be a challenge for me toplant. But i have to start somewhere.

Edit: That is a VERY informative site. I could lose hours on it.
I think i found out that my orchid is a Cattleya.

How ironic; a Cattleya is the only orchid I've lost. My wife potted it up and it thrived and bloomed at least three times over 2 years. I moved it from hanging from our Mango tree to the front yard. 6 months later it died. They can be tricky so don't give it any more than early morning sun (that's what it got at the Mango). Good luck with those beauties.

Alrighty then; a couple of pics;

1st-Wild Child;
WildChild.jpg

2nd-Wild Child-0;
WildChild-0.jpg

Note the roots and the pots; those are very healthy roots and the plants follow. ;)

Thanks, siling :D

Verne, very interesting mix of charcoal, husks, very little soil. Alrighty, i will follow suit.
Also should i get some orchid pots?

Thanks, siling :D

Verne, very interesting mix of charcoal, husks, very little soil. Alrighty, i will follow suit.
Also should i get some orchid pots?

Absolutely no soil; these orchids are epiphytes and do not grow in dirt. Look up epiphytes! This class of plant is most interesting; they are my favorites and include bromeliads which are another adventure to be discovered. Check them out. ;)

Yes, by all means get orchid pots.

here is my tillandsia. some air plants have the same or similar flowers that some bromeliads produce so i wonder if they are related?

img1363p.jpg

From Wikipedia; "The plant genus Tillandsia, a member of the Bromeliad family (Bromeliaceae), is found in the deserts, forests and mountains of Central and South America, and Mexico and the southern United States in North America."

Good call! Indeed they are. ;)

From Wikipedia; "The plant genus Tillandsia, a member of the Bromeliad family (Bromeliaceae), is found in the deserts, forests and mountains of Central and South America, and Mexico and the southern United States in North America."

Good call! Indeed they are. ;)

So that explains why some broms and tillandsia's have similar flower stalks. thank for research AjarnV.
here is my matchstick bromeliad. the flower color is similar to my tillandsia
img1182k.jpg

@kiddc -> my apologies for posting broms in your orchid thread. :)

So that explains why some broms and tillandsia's have similar flower stalks. thank for research AjarnV.
here is my matchstick bromeliad. the flower color is similar to my tillandsia
img1182k.jpg

@kiddc -> my apologies for posting broms in your orchid thread. :)

Since you have some Broms; why not start a Bromeliad thread? I haven't yet found a place that sells them.

Back