• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

One more Yellow Pepper... can you help?

Ok, I'm fairly new to growing peppers but am excited about trying out several different varieties this coming season. The problem is I have very limited space on my balcony. I currently have six 14" diameter air pots I'm going to give a try and have three varieties of seeds: Bhut Jolokia (from Chili Institute), Yellow 7s and Butch Ts (from Neil, THSC). I thought three types would be enough, but the more I'm on here the more I want to grow! :) So... through searches I've narrowed a long list to just a few more types I'd like to try my hand at this season: Bonda Ma Jacques, Fatalii, and Burkina.

Here's my questions to the experts... Out of those three which is most prolific or have you had the best luck with? Which would you choose to grow if could only grow one and why? I do live in Indiana, not sure if that will influence your answer or recommendation for me. I will be starting them indoors in January as I already have a HO T5 setup purchased, set up, and ready to go. Depending on how this goes I may just have to purchase some more pots, but where do I stop? There's just too many types of chilis!

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Indy

Hi Indyhot,

I find my fatalii to be a very healthy and hardy plant with healthy pod set in my tropical weather. I am looking forward to tasting them soon. My bonda ma jacques, I have 2 plant growing germination rate wasn't so good for me. But the plants grow fast and healthy. Both of my plants show tri branching on its main stem ( is it normal?). From the description I am really looking forward to tasting this pepper.
BTW I also got Butch T and yellow 7 pot from Neil they are very healthy plants. Good luck with your plants :-)

Mark t

Thanks Mark T for your input! It seems most things that I've read has been positive about the Fatalii, but I didn't know how it was in comparision to these other varieties. It will be interesting to see what others have to add.

Indy

Fatalli is one pepper that kicks my ass - I dont know what it is but it kills me - I would love to get Bonda Ma Jacques myself its the one I always forget every year

If you haven't grown it I'd definitely recommend the Fatalii. It's big, its hot, its tasty, and they aren't incredibly seedy either. I believe that if you're going to try some of the other hot yellows they all are measured in comparison to the Fatalii so you should try that one first. I've also heard great things about the TFM bonnet so don't overlook that one.

Fatalii and burkina are both very productive for me, more so than bonda ma jacques. You might want to consider cili goronong too. Cili goronong and yellow bhut jolokia are easily the most productive yellows I've grown. My cili goronongs are still chock-full of fruit halfway through October, they are massive producers. For flavor though, I would definitely pick the fatalii out of all those mentioned.

Hey Indyhot
I'd go with Fatalii. I grow them every year and they're always loaded with pods. IMO the flavor is one of the tastiest in the hot chile family. Very fruity and pungent, It's one of the few peppers I've eaten and didn't mind the after burp :lol: The yellow also taste alot better than the red.
Good luck!
Brandon

So far it sounds like Fatalii is an overwhelming favorite. I'll have to research some of the other peppers mentioned as it's the first I've heard of them. I did see TFM Bonnets mentioned elsewhere, but I don't recall seeing what the TFM stood for. Is that just a strain or intials of the person that created the hybrid (if that's what it is)?

Avon, what is the flavor and heat level of the Cili Goronongs you mentioned? I suppose I could google it, but who better to ask than someone who grows them!? Also, nice to see a fellow Hoosier here!

Indy

TFM= Trenton (New Jersey) Farmer's Market, where the pods that the seeds came from were found.

Cili Goronong flavor is typical non-superhot yellow Chinense flavor, more or less like yellow habanero, bonda ma jacques, burkina yellow, etc. The heat is probably slightly less than those I think, more like a Scotch bonnet level of heat. Fataliis have a somewhat different, scotch bonnet-like flavor than that group, and are very hot.

Thanks for the additional information. I suppose I'll just have to try them all and see how they do for me, but I think I'll start with the Fatalii!

In hindsight I wish I would've added them to my last order from Neil, but I'm sure he won't mind filling another order. Maybe I should just hold off on my next order until closer to January, who knows what other peppers I'll decide to grow between now and then :)

Yepper i started with about 4 plants a few years ago and now i have about 50. There is never enough time and or space. Good luck deciding. Datil are a super flavorful yellow as well but not superhot.
I have planty of op seeds if you want some?

That's very generous of you Romy! If it wouldn't be too much of a hassle for you, I'd appreciate another variety to grow :) I think I might have to start renting garden space from my family! Lol

Indy

Well I'm probably the only one who will chose this, but the "Yellow Burkina"

Why you ask?, Because I'm a Huge Bonnet fan, I like the large pods that the Burkina produces,and the flav, also for a balcony the plant stays more shrub like, my Fatali is over 5 ft tall and the Bonda Ma Jacque is even taller!

I grew fatalli last year and it was very prolific. This year I grew bonda ma jacques, also very prolific. If
I had to say which one I got more peppers from I would have to say bonda ma jacques. The fatalli is a
bigger pepper however. You can't go wrong with either one. The burkina I have never grown.

Back