• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pics One McIlhenny Tabasco Plant Harvest Pics 10-15-08

AlabamaJack

Extreme Member
I harvested and cut back one of my McIlhenny Tabasco Plants this afternoon (thanks PRF)...

Here is a pic of the before harvest and after harvest and cutback...

McIlhennyTabascobeforeandafter10-15.jpg

Here is a pic of the harvest...I didn't count, but there must be a thousand peppers...all of these will go to make my mother pepper sauce (peppers and vinegar) for her turnip greens...

101508a009.jpg

I have 5 other plants just like this one and about 8 or 9 other ones that are about half the size....they were the ones that got sunscald and were really stunted..

agree on the more ripe peppers but mom wanted them kinda more yellow than anything else...the other plants will ripen mostly to red if the weather cooperates...

Gonna leave it where it is for the mean time then move it inside before first frost...this is one I will try and overwinter...

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Wow AJ that is a lot of peppers. You really did Charlie Brown that plant.
I usually let mine turn redish orange before picking but for your use it
should be just right. I also really enjoy growing this Tabasco strain.
Beautiful plant AJ
Very nice harvest picture too PRF.

I know you mentioned to me a little while back how good those plants produce but wow. Is that one going in your grow chamber or is that going to the little light little water experiment.

I had 2 Tabasco plants last season and got thousands upon thousands of chillis from the 2. When it was time to cut them back they still had upwards of 1500 chillis between them, so they went in the bin....

I felt really bad for a few seconds!!!!

moyboy said:
I had 2 Tabasco plants last season and got thousands upon thousands of chillis

Those suckers really produce. I want to grow them but at the same time I don't because I am not a big fan of Tobasco brand hot sauce (not intended to offend those of you who do like it). How are they in powder form? Say when used in cheese dips or salsa?

moyboy said:
I had 2 Tabasco plants last season and got thousands upon thousands of chillis from the 2. When it was time to cut them back they still had upwards of 1500 chillis between them, so they went in the bin....

I felt really bad for a few seconds!!!!

Grrrrrr, lucky i was not privvy to that information at the time, a good old bashing would have been in order:cool:

they make great seasoning powder and are good tasting to me...and..they pack a pretty good punch...

Damn that is a great harvest of tabasco A.J that sure will be a lot of work..But damn so much powder,Those cupboard's must be filling up nicely by now :)

I wish I had grown this, too! Incredible amount of peppers!!! Great job and keep us posted on the overwintering!

Josh said:
I want to grow them but at the same time I don't because I am not a big fan of Tobasco brand hot sauce (not intended to offend those of you who do like it).
They don't taste anything like the sauce. They are very hot and juicy. You have to grow them yourself at least once.:drooling:

Nice harvest. I grew two of these this year, one did well the other not so much. In one pot I had a jalapeno, red hot chili & tabasco. All season long, I got maybe 3 peppers off the tabasco one, until a few weeks ago it just set one massive bunch of peppers. Kinda hard to see in that picture since the plants are all bunched together.

2915815479_6ac5ebfacb_b.jpg

Will definitely be growing these again next year, I'm going to try and overwinter.

I'm torn between what to do with all these peppers: Pickled peppers or powder?

Txclosetgrower said:
I'm torn between what to do with all these peppers: Pickled peppers or powder?

both...I love the powder and my mother loves the pepper sauce (so do I)....I use the powder to mix with my others for adding dimension to the burn...

ABurningMouth said:
They don't taste anything like the sauce. They are very hot and juicy. You have to grow them yourself at least once.:drooling:

Hmm that is good to know. I will have to set aside my prejudices and eventually give them a whirl. I keep telling myself I cannot grow anymore varieties next year than what I have already decided on. Then people tell me you gotta try this one or that one. Then I start thinking why can't I just add another row. I feel bad taking that space away from my dog but we will have to see what happens because there still would be plenty of yard left for her to run around in. I guess I still have plenty of time to decide.

Back