• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting OK to harvest when pods are Orange?

I got a really late start this year as it was my first time to garden. It is starting to get cold here. I harvested a lot of pods (reapers, butch, brain, starfish, etc.) that were red a few days ago, but there are twice that many that are orange and or starting to blush. I hear that once a tomato has started to blush it can be harvested and put inside to finish ripening. Is this true for peppers as well? My concern is it is supposed to get down to freezing this weekend and I would like to harvest as much as possible before then, assuming that the fruit will ripen indoors.

What do you guys think? As always, thanks in advance. I'm so glad I found this treasure trove of information and friendly folks.

what he said ^

Also if they are still green i have successfully put then in a brown paper bag with a ripening banana and most of them will turn. Some of have said these don't taste as good as the ones that are ripe on the plant but better than nothing.

Just pick and stash in a paper bag or cardboard box on the kitchen counter... You dont need a banana, peppers do their thing anyway and last longer by themself.

the best way to ripen peppers off the plant is in a paperbag with a banana.  Bananas emit more ethylene than any other fruit.  If the peppers are less than 50% green you can get them to ripen most of the way, all green never.  They dry out while in there so be prepared for a good bit of water loss (depends on how long they're in there). This will obviously concentrate capsaicin but can be corrected when making sauce by adding water. if theyre almost there I just leave them on the counter.

Back