• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Oh Deer

The deer don't seem to like my hot peppers but they do love my tomatoes and hostas. Stopped growing corn after first season. Very few deer this time of year, dozens in the winter

Anybody have good technique for deer (no, no killing) I love them around, but love my tomatoes around too. I bought a "scarecrow" motion detector sprinkler, but as I posted somewhere else, it hasn't been proven on deer yet, just drinking buddies. I think fences and cages are my only real sollution but I'm planning on making a habanero spray. Hopefully it will work on drinking buddies too.

Yep, the Hab spray is your best bet! Or you can make a large spider's web out of duct tape to catch the deer...I love duct tape...

imaguitargod said:
Yep, the Hab spray is your best bet! Or you can make a large spider's web out of duct tape to catch the deer...I love duct tape...
You'd love our Canadian program "The Red Green Show" Its a half hour comedy about Canadian redneck lodge members who build redneck things usually out of duct tape. Seen on cbc I think.

POTAWIE said:
You'd love our Canadian program "The Red Green Show" Its a half hour comedy about Canadian redneck lodge members who build redneck things usually out of duct tape. Seen on cbc I think.
I LOVE THE RED GREEN SHOW!!!!!!! I used to watch it all the time on PBS!!! I once saw his plucky assistan/cousin on Stargate SG-1, it was just too funny.

The scare crow doesn't work? From the videos that I saw, it appeared that the motion detectors range was a little limited. I bet that you could Red Green it to work a little better. With a little electronics knowledge you could use a standard motion detector to trigger a valve that feeds several remote sprinklers. Might give you better coverage.
Good ole Possum Lodge!!
"Keep yer stick on the ice"

imaguitargod said:

Oh come on now! What could an aspiring young actor livin' in LA possibly know about keepin' deer out of a garden. ;)

Here's the southern version of Jonathans comment.
YeeHaw, the spray from an M-16 is yer best bet! Or yeuns can make a big spider's web out of barbed wire to catch the dinner. :shocked:

sixstring75 said:
The scare crow doesn't work? From the videos that I saw, it appeared that the motion detectors range was a little limited. I bet that you could Red Green it to work a little better. With a little electronics knowledge you could use a standard motion detector to trigger a valve that feeds several remote sprinklers. Might give you better coverage.
Good ole Possum Lodge!!
"Keep yer stick on the ice"
and yer gloves on your hands eh.
I haven't really put the scarecrow to use yet. One deer comes everyday around the same time in the afternoon but its the night feeders I should be using it on. Just a hassle to remember to set it up every night.

imaguitargod said:

I, too, heard that pepper spray works best.

Cap'n Bones said:
Oh come on now! What could an aspiring young actor livin' in LA possibly know about keepin' deer out of a garden. ;)

Here's the southern version of Jonathans comment.
YeeHaw, the spray from an M-16 is yer best bet! Or yeuns can make a big spider's web out of barbed wire to catch the dinner. :shocked:
LOL. We actually have deer in Los Angeles, They mainly stay out of Hollywood, but are in the Hollywood Hills.

You can always use coyote urine or similar. Some of that in strategic locations will keep them away. You can pick some up at your local garden center believe it or not. I have found it effective on just about all animals except for tree rats (squirrels). I think they are just too brazen to care. (or stupid) Luckily they dont mess with the peppers but they do like to dig around in the garden.

The weak-of-heart should leave now............

I just pooped at the 4 corners of the garden and the deer never came back...this is the method used by my Maine relatives.

Don't step in the poo..........

Believe it or not my cat chases the deer away. First they have a stare-down with the deer snorting and stomping its front hoof, then old Freddy makes his sudden leap chasing away all which enter his territory. They must think he's a fisher or a baby lion.

willard3 said:
The weak-of-heart should leave now............

I just pooped at the 4 corners of the garden and the deer never came back...this is the method used by my Maine relatives.

Don't step in the poo..........

I Love you man!! Thank you for saying that. I've tried this before with a corn and tomato patch, however the results were less than favorable. Is there any special method you use to make it successful? Pics could be helpful. :cool:

willard3 said:
Ok, at this point, I can't hold myself back. Did you get all 4 corners in one pass or was it spaced out through two days? Also, when it dries, does that affect the repelent power of the poo? If you keep it moist to be effective, are you out there every day watering?

Hey man!!! That's not a chocolate Hab!!!

Wow, I bet that works for a lot of things. Have family that your not real fond of?? Poo on your door step. Tired of getting bills in the mail?? Poo by the mailbox.
Pardon me, I'm gonna go mark my property lines..............

Forget about the giant chocolate congos, I'm now into catch and release hunting. LoL. Just gotta sneak up on them while they're sleeping

Its actually just a kitten-sized newborn that I almost stepped on. Mother hid baby very well in the long grass when looking for food

Back