• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Official Review: PexPeppers Killerswarm Chilehead Reserve

Product Name: PexPeppers Killerswarm Chilehead Reserve

Style: Superhots/Sweet

Manufacturer: PexPeppers

Country of Origin: USA

Ingredients: ButchT Trinidad Scorpions, Trinidad Moruga Scorpions, 7-Pot Primos, White Distilled Vinegar, Locust Blossum Honey, Lime Juice

Label/Packaging: A very bright yellow label with Pex's usual style bee and peppers. Lettering is very clear and easy to read. Oh this is interesting. "Disclaimer: By eating this sauce you agree that any harm inflicted on yourself is entirely on you and the persons involved. PexPeppers cannot be held responsible for idiocy, please consume responsibly." Oh goodie.

Appearance/Aroma: The appearance of this sauce is disturbing. It is a bright orange red. I know what this is. This is a whole lot of peppers in a bottle. This is a whole lot of pain in a bottle. I do see seeds, but Pex told me he is working on that. The aroma is straight up peppers. It is sweet, it is pungent, and I have to admit, a little scary.

PexPeppers has a habit of burning my head off. Will the Chilehead Reserve be an exception?

Body of Review:
PexPeppers is a local saucemaker here in my home state of PA.  He has been working hard at hot sauce for a few years now.  He always comes up with new and interesting combinations, usually involving fruit.  Not this time.  There are no black berries, cherries, or apricots, or any other foo foo to shelter your tongue from the onslaught that is about to befall it.  The one saving grace is the honey.  When you first taste the sauce, the locust blossum honey greets you with a kiss of sweetness.  Then the natural sweetness of this trio of some of the hottest peppers in the world dances around your mouth.  A little bit of tanginess from the vinegar and lime and you are left with nothing but the taste of the peppers.  I happen to love sauces like this that let the peppers shine.  They are clearly the star.

The consistency still needs a little work.  Take the seeds out and it is spot on.  

The heat is hardcore and it is substantial.  From tasting it twice on a spoon, I can no longer feel the tip of my tongue.  The heat quickly spreads all over the mouth leaving no area unscathed.  It hits the throat even harder.  In fact I can feel it in my chest.  One spoonful leaves me sweating, tearing, and my mouth in pain.  I really dig the flavor of this, but as far as heat goes, it is no joke.

Heat Level: 10

Applications: This should be an additive. I have eaten it on food, like a burger, but I don't recommend that. Mix it with sauces like marinara, BBQ, or wing sauce.

Appearance Score: 4.5
Aroma Score: 5
Taste Score: 5
Mouthfeel Score: 3.5
Heat Accuracy Score: 5

Overall Score: 4.6

Notes: This is my favorite sauce of all from PexPeppers. I have knocked it for only one reason. The seeds. Get them out of there and I am in love with it. Awesome sauce Pex.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 55
Back