• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Official Review: Feisty Parrot Savage Beast

Product Name: Feisty Parrot Savage Beast

Style: Caribbean

Manufacturer: Feisty Parrot

Country of Origin: USA

Ingredients: Carrot, Papaya, Celery, Onion, Apple Juice from Concentrate, Cider Vinegar, Lime Juice, Water, Tequila, Ghost Pepper, Garlic, Trinidad Scorpion Pepper, Salt, Spices, Xanthan Gum

Label/Packaging: The label is very fun, interesting, and professionally done. I would pick this sauce up off a shelf to investigate further.

Appearance/Aroma: The appearance is a chunky kind of puree style sauce. The color is nice and I like the flecks of peppers I can see in there. The aroma is very interesting. I can smell the onion, the celery, the apple, the vinegar. Not so much on the peppers. Smells interesting.

Will this sauce be a beast, or is it for the birds?

Body of Review:
Feisty Parrot is a new company founded and ran by the husband and wife team of David and Tracey Gunn of Florida.  Who is the Feisty Parrot?  I want to know.  Turns out he is Indigo, their pet macaw, who is the feisty one of the three they own.  It is always interesting to learn how a hot sauce company names itself and its sauces.

I have to admit, in reading the ingredients of this sauce, I was a little skeptical.  Celery?  Really?  In a hot sauce?  Hmm. Well, I can tell you it is certainly different, but I'll be damned it all works!  I guess it should not surprise me as the sauce includes the mirepoix, a French culinary term for carrots, onion, and celery, and a base for many soups, sauces, and other dishes.  When that part occurred to me then it started to make sense.  Add to that the sweetness of the papaya and apple, the little bit of tang from the cider vinegar, lime juice, and the little bit of smokiness from the tequila. It is quite a combination of flavors. I can taste the chiles, but they are not really the star of the show, they are part of it.

The consistency is that of a puree.  It is chunky and must be shaken well to pour effectively.  I don't mind that with this sauce.  You get lots of bits of everything as you eat it.

The heat is a very comfortable level for me.  I just ate three spoonfuls as I typed this.  It is plenty hot to please a chilehead, but not so hot that you can't enjoy it all over food.  The heat, like that of all ghost pepper and scorpion sauces, builds in intensity the more you eat and the longer you eat it.  It starts out as a warm burn around the top of the tongue, then spreads to the sides, and finally the throat.  A nice all around burn that lingers for a while.

Heat Level: 7

Applications: I think this sauce is good on seafood; fish tacos, oysters, and grilled fish. I also like it on burgers and chicken. It is a condiment that begs to be used over food and even eaten with tortilla chips like a salsa.

Appearance Score: 5
Aroma Score: 4
Taste Score: 4
Mouthfeel Score: 4.5
Heat Accuracy Score: 4

Overall Score: 4.3

Notes: While I think the sauce works as a whole, the celery still comes through a little strong for me. Also, I would like to taste the chiles just a little more. Overall, a great sauce that I have enjoyed reviewing. Looking forward to trying more Feisty Parrot products.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 93
Back