• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Oddest type of meat that you enjoy eating.

come to think of it, i know a place that sells frozen Haggis over in PA. i'd be willing to try it. also NJ has a large Scottish community a few counties north. Hmmmmm....

bentalphanerd said:
not sure i'm game enough to go near frozen haggis :lol:

Living in england fresh haggis is hard to get but some butchers do 'import' and freeze it and as long as it's fully defrosted before you use it it's fine.
As it's been cooked already you can eat it 'raw'
and stillmanz is correct in saying there is lung in there too,
but as i said every butcher will use different amounts of the ingredients.
It's is great sliced and fried/grilled as part of a good fried breakfast

I had haggis once, and honestly, it had a pasta-like consistency with kind of a 'beef-ish' taste going on. Not too bad, actually.

Davetaylor said:
Living in england fresh haggis is hard to get but some butchers do 'import' and freeze it and as long as it's fully defrosted before you use it it's fine.
As it's been cooked already you can eat it 'raw'
and stillmanz is correct in saying there is lung in there too,
but as i said every butcher will use different amounts of the ingredients.
It's is great sliced and fried/grilled as part of a good fried breakfast
I don't care what's in it so long as the consistency isn't wiggly or weird. I'm going to buy one next time i see it. I'll report back. I'll even take pics. :cool:

fineexampl said:
I don't care what's in it so long as the consistency isn't wiggly or weird. I'm going to buy one next time i see it. I'll report back. I'll even take pics. :cool:

wiggly or weird, I'd have to say weird!
the ingredients for haggis sounds like what you'd feed to the dogs! no wonder why you have to throw alot of spice into it to make it edible :rolleyes:
I dont know about you folks here, but why eat organs when ya could eat the nice meaty muscle parts of the animal ? some nice juicy steaks :drooling:
no wonder haggis needs alot of spice put into it, just to kill the flavor of the organs. if I was starving yea I'd eat it, but why I can go eat a nice thick steak instead & give haggis ingredients as a treat for the dog :lol:

chilehunter said:
wiggly or weird, I'd have to say weird!
the ingredients for haggis sounds like what you'd feed to the dogs! no wonder why you have to throw alot of spice into it to make it edible
I dont know about you folks here, but why eat organs when ya could eat the nice meaty muscle parts of the animal ? some nice juicy steaks
no wonder haggis needs alot of spice put into it, just to kill the flavor of the organs. if I was starving yea I'd eat it, but why I can go eat a nice thick steak instead & give haggis ingredients as a treat for the dog
Organs are much tastier than muscles. just take a look at animals hunting. the first to arrive eats the organs, then the fatty meat, then the thinner one and then what's left.
Gimme anything! heart, liver, lungs and pretty much anything else, I'll eat it. some people even eat the spinal cord. ;)
BTW I love haggis, but I get mine from a butcher I know who makes it. don't buy it frozen. :shocked:

I told my girl i might want to try making a haggis myself. It doesn't sound hard, but i'm more concerned with dealing with the suet and cleaning the stomach properly.

fineexampl said:
I told my girl i might want to try making a haggis myself. It doesn't sound hard, but i'm more concerned with dealing with the suet and cleaning the stomach properly.

yeah - i think making it yourself would be hard-core. Gotta be real careful when dealing with offal. Offal is what gets sliced open to check for disease in the animal. It's a good thing to learn those signs.

bentalphanerd said:
yeah - i think making it yourself would be hard-core. Gotta be real careful when dealing with offal. Offal is what gets sliced open to check for disease in the animal. It's a good thing to learn those signs.
Well, i live in an area with a pretty large Jewish population (as well as Indian and other eastern nationalities) so i'm almost positive i can find a good butcher to supply me with a safe to eat sheep stomach. I could probably get much of the stuff cleaned and prepped and ready to use.

cool mate - just so long as you know what you're getting into there. Myself I'm a nut for sauteed sheep kidneys...but gotta slice each one open to look for spots/discoloration before it hits the pan.

bentalphanerd said:
cool mate - just so long as you know what you're getting into there. Myself I'm a nut for sauteed sheep kidneys...but gotta slice each one open to look for spots/discoloration before it hits the pan.
The recipe i'm eyeballing actually has you cut up all the bits to precook them before you actually boil it. either way, i have a feeling i'd be able to make a haggis taste awesome. I'm thinking dark beer boil??

I'm starting to feel ill reading all this. I suppose though it's no different to people I've heard of that eat tripe or jellied eels, my aunts and uncles are all cockneys (come from the East End of London) and eat jellied eels with mash and liquor :sick:

rainbowberry said:
I'm starting to feel ill reading all this. I suppose though it's no different to people I've heard of that eat tripe or jellied eels, my aunts and uncles are all cockneys (come from the East End of London) and eat jellied eels with mash and liquor :sick:
I could die happy just living on your style bacon. I buy it in bulk and freeze it. I have one pack left. I'm in need of a refill.

What kind of bacon? We have a few cuts like streaky bacon, back bacon, middle bacon (usually with rind on) and then you get these smoked (oak, hickory, applewood), and unsmoked. I'm going by the supermarkets though not the butchers, I bet they do a better variety.

rainbowberry said:
What kind of bacon? We have a few cuts like streaky bacon, back bacon, middle bacon (usually with rind on) and then you get these smoked (oak, hickory, applewood), and unsmoked. I'm going by the supermarkets though not the butchers, I bet they do a better variety.
Just your normal style back bacon, unsmoked. Streaky bacon is US style bacon, which is also good, but not considered "proper" bacon as it's said. :) Like this...
150irishbacon.jpg

Back