• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Number of seeds per cell?

Do you guys drop 2-3 seeds per cell or just go singles? Or do you buy multiple packs to have more seeds to be able to put multiple seeds? I ended up getting seeds from Matt’s Peppers and White Hot Peppers and they both exceeded my expectations in what I got and how quick they delivered them. Thanks for the extra varieties you threw in. Thank you also to those people here that referred them.

Last edited:
Many (peat pellet) then I keep only the strongest/healthiest and cull the rest!

Do you guys drop 2-3 seeds per cell or just go singles? Or do you buy multiple packs to have more seeds to be able to put multiple seeds? I ended up getting seeds from Matt’s Peppers and White Hot Peppers and they both exceeded my expectations in what I got and how quick they delivered them. Thanks for the extra varieties you threw in. Thank you also to those people here that referred them.

Many (peat pellet) then I keep only the strongest/healthiest and cull the rest!
How many of one variety of plant are you trying to keep?

How many of one variety of plant are you trying to keep?
It makes no difference; if needed I simply split the pellet, select the ones I want to grow then repot in their own container.

It makes no difference; if needed I simply split the pellet, select the ones I want to grow then repot in their own container.
I meant out of a pack of seeds, are you trying to end up with 3 plants,4,5, more? If doing multiple seeds I usually try to keep the best one of the pellet or cell and cut the others, but if you only have 10+ to start and triple plant them you could end up with 3 maybe. I’m going to end up with too many for container, probably should put 3, trying how to figure out making a plot for in ground at a nursery I work for, need to deer proof it

I meant out of a pack of seeds, are you trying to end up with 3 plants,4,5, more? If doing multiple seeds I usually try to keep the best one of the pellet or cell and cut the others, but if you only have 10+ to start and triple plant them you could end up with 3 maybe. I’m going to end up with too many for container, probably should put 3, trying how to figure out making a plot for in ground at a nursery I work for, need to deer proof it
Again, it depends! If what I intend to grow is expected to be stable I only sow about 3-4 seeds/pellet (or cell), as each plant should be very similar to each other. Otherwise I usually sow way more than I need, often in bulk!

1707957463796.png

Last edited:
The age of the seed is another factor. Fresh seeds, I plant 2 seeds. Seeds that are 3–5 years old, I plant 3 or 4 seeds. More than 5 years old, I use the Bou approach and dump a layer-full.
I haven’t grown from seed in a few years, being first year back, packs I ordered say 10+ per pack which seems to be about 15-18 seeds in a pack with what I’ve planted so far. So I’ve been doing 2, one pack had 11, I did singles on it, once I save some seeds this year I be able to put more next year. Definitely going to start earlier next year, got a late start this year, but it should all work out.

I haven’t grown from seed in a few years, being first year back, packs I ordered say 10+ per pack which seems to be about 15-18 seeds in a pack with what I’ve planted so far. So I’ve been doing 2, one pack had 11, I did singles on it, once I save some seeds this year I be able to put more next year. Definitely going to start earlier next year, got a late start this year, but it should all work out.
Be aware that a good proportion of varieties sold by WHP are still unstable so variability is to be expected! Same goes for Matt's, depending on what you ordered of course!

1708021615990.png

Be aware that a good proportion of varieties sold by WHP are still unstable so variability is to be expected! Same goes for Matt's, depending on what you ordered of course!

1708021615990.png
I read the disclaimer, I end up with what I end up with. I’m excited either way! I ended up with about 20+ varieties by the time they threw in a few freebies

Reactions: Bou
Back