• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Not One Aphid This Year

I wanted to wait to post this for fear of jynxing myself but I figure i'm past that point. I didn't get a single aphid this year. I'm not complaing or bragging, I'm just so surprised and happy of course. I wonder what happened? :shocked:

Same thing on my side of Canada, I have 1 orange habanero that gets maybe 10 aphids every few days, I squish them but I am not preoccupied with worry. The hab is surrounded by caribbean reds, hot lemon, fatalii and a bunch of annuums and they are untouched. Different story with ants, they are everywhere, even on my plants.

At the same time, I have seen very few bees, ladybugs or wasps, right now the wasps should be preparing for winter and are usually very aggressive eating all types of wood.

I had them in the early part of the season I sprayed and had none since. Pepper maggots and heat however are another story

I know what happened to all your aphids chillilover, the little bastards set up camp on my plants instead of yours. They didn't last very long once the ladybugs showed up though :)

I had a few on my orange hab, just like last year. I ignored them for the most part and they soon vanished. But all the surrounding plants were never touched.

I found a few on one plant real early in the season then ortho'd the heck out of the plants. Haven't seen one since. Very few ladybugs too but that makes sense since there wasn't anything for them to eat. I did have a bunch of the little beetles that look like ladybugs only yellow with black spots. Them bastages I killedededed dead.

I went to buy some ladybugs to fight the Aphids this weekend from the same garden center I have been buying them from for years. The lady serving said that they only sell them in spring! I didn't realize they were seasonal. Probably a temp worker who didn't know where the fridge was.
I am envious you haven't seen any all year.

well i'm getting whiteflies and aphids coz i've been purchasing plants and stuff so i've been battling these pests for the past month or so now. =(

rain has been helping it to slow down their spread. so that's good. need to find a source of ladybugs for my plants. wah. sadly there's none to be found in my country, afaik.

well i'm getting whiteflies and aphids coz i've been purchasing plants and stuff so i've been battling these pests for the past month or so now. =(

rain has been helping it to slow down their spread. so that's good. need to find a source of ladybugs for my plants. wah. sadly there's none to be found in my country, afaik.

I have ladybug larvae all over all of my plants, I guess I've just been lucky!

Both ants and ladybug larvae can be a sign of aphids present. :stop: Im definately not stomping your toes and calling you a liar. :liar: However ants will herd aphids and "milk" them. Milking is a process where the ant actually massages the aphid and causes them to secrete a milky waste. This waste will leave your stalks and branches sorta sticky.
Ladybugs are smart and will leave their larvae in a place with a "food source" often times being near aphids. This way the young pupae will have a source of food when they emerge from the larvae. (I think i have that life cycle right)

So anyhow both are GREAT at combating aphids. I know ants are annoying, but If you are a natural or organic gardener, such as myself, I leave them to combat pests until I have a better organic alternative.

Good job and Great luck!!!! :clap: :clap: I only dream of a day without those lil boogers. :pray: But I grow over 100 varieties of edible plants on a half acre. BUGS LLOOVVEE my garden!! :party:

Back