• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Newbie Blog 2010 - 10+ varieties & others

Newbie Llog 2010 - 10+ varieties & others

This is my first season growing outdoors. I discovered the joy of growing peppers sometime last year when I decided to get my dad the hottest hot sauce I can find. After discovering the many varieties of extra hot peppers I decided to give growing my own a try. I bought some Jolokia seeds on eBay and looked into growing them indoors in a hydro system. Long story short, I decided to move my setup outdoors in soil and start new seedling in my grow tent.

We had a freak snowstorm in Montreal last night and the result: the two branches protruding off the main stem of my Jolokia snapped over the weight of the snow and this is what I'm left with. Is it even worth keeping for next year? lol

This is what it looked like 2 days ago, it had already started to set fruit:

I took cuttings from the branches and hopefully it's not too late for them to root so I can grow some this season.

These are the ones that took less of a beating and I think will survive, from left to right: De Arbol, Cayenne, Jalapeno, Armenian Cucumber, Cayenne, Jalapeno, a couple more cucumbers, Dorset Naga and a Chocolate Habanero

These are the seedlings I started indoors in my grow tent under a 600 watt MH light:
Red Habanero
Jamaican Red Scotch Bonnet
Mustard Habanero
Dorset Naga
Jolokia
Red Savina
Chocolate Habanero
Fatali
Orange Habanero
Cayenne (lots of 'em)
more Jolokias (different seller)
Orange Scotch Bonnet
and the rest are tomatoes (Early Girl, Starfire, Tiny Tim).

When they get a little bigger I put them in pots in a mixture of peat/perlite/vermiculite/coco husk and feed them hydroponic nutrients.
There's more cucumbers here, strawberries, tomatoes, and probably the same varieties of peppers that are in the jiffy pellets.

If anyone has any suggestions on whether I should do something differently, drop me a line!

Here are a few more pictures from today. I transplanted a lot of the jiffy's into real pots. As I was running room in my tent, I had to take some out and put them on a windowsill but I left the peppers in there. Still feeding them hydro nutrients (switched to full strength General Hydroponics Flora Series) and they're growing incredibly quickly.

Nice seedlings. Great work. Easy on the nutes though. They're growing incredibly quickly because of that 600 watt MH.

I did keep the broken one! It's sitting outside now and with all the rain the last few days I hardly need to water it.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep a close eye to make sure the increased concentration won't do any damage.

Here's a few more of the ones I have outdoors:

Windy today in Monteal lol De Arbol, Cayenne, Jalapeno

An overwintered Bhut Jolokia that I planted sometime last August (late start but it survived)

An ornamental hybrid I picked up at Home Depot or something. I was growing this in a hydro system then i decided to make room for seedlings so I put it in some peat moss and it's been doing good!

This is turning out to be by far one of my favorites, it's a White Peruvian Habanero growing in a DWC bucket. You can see some buds starting to form too!

Just thought I'd update my log here. I moved most of my plants back inside cause it was getting too cold at night and all that rain wasn't doing them much good either (it snowed this morning!).

I potted most of the little seedlings I had but some are still growing under lights:

I know it's probably too late now, but I really wanted some yellow pepper by the end of the summer so I planted some Fatalis last night, and while at it I planted a Jamaican Red Scotch Bonnet, Caribbean Red Habanero, Trinidad Scorpion, Chocolate Habanero. The rest are tomatoes and 2 bhut jolokia cuttings.
dsc06798r.jpg

Some more seedlings:
dsc06797n.jpg

Most of the ones without labels are Red Cayennes:
dsc06796.jpg

Some Mustard/Red/Orange Habaneros, Jolokias, Red Savina:
dsc06795.jpg

These are the ones I had outside but decided to bring back in a couple of days ago:
dsc06770c.jpg

Here's a closeup on the De Arbol, these plants survived a snow storm! Hard to believe they're still alive lol
dsc06773g.jpg

Does anyone know what this is? I'm not too worried, it's probably poor weather conditions but if anyone thinks otherwise let me know please!
dsc06774j.jpg

Here's a closeup on one of the Cayennes. It's already setting fruit, should I nip this off? The plant is still pretty small. Should I be doing the same with the buds as well?
dsc06775d.jpg

These are newly potted plants, except for the two jolokias in the top left corner. Frankly I neglected them so much and kept changing their environment throughout the winter that I'm surprised they survived lol they're doing great now and are two of my favorites so far!
dsc06772f.jpg

Closeup on my jolokias:
dsc06778.jpg

This one took a bit of a beating during the snowstorm so I had to prop it up in this tomato trellis.
dsc06777p.jpg

Leaves are a little droopy but I'm guessing it's the fact that we haven't had much sun in the past couple of days and I took them out of my tent only a few days ago.

Jamaican Red Scotch Bonnet:
dsc06790n.jpg

Dorset Naga:
dsc06789x.jpg

White Habanero:
dsc06787m.jpg

Golden Cayennes:
dsc06786f.jpg

White Habanero in DWC:
dsc06782q.jpg

There's some cayennes heres, Jolokias, 2 Jamaican Red Scotch Bonnets, couple varieties of tomatoes:
dsc06779p.jpg

A Yellow Pear Tomato:
dsc06791n.jpg

Armenian Cucumber:
dsc06788d.jpg

FadeToBlack said:
Your plants are looking great!

Looks like your pool needs a little chlorine though ;)

Thanks!

I'm moving out soon and it's too cold to swim anyway. I'll let the next guy worry about it lol

Here's a little update:

I just finished moving all my plants outdoors, I have a few more which I'll probably just give away. The white tarp I got to cover the plants when it rains.

dsc06861f.jpg

Closeup:

dsc06866k.jpg

dsc06867.jpg

dsc06868d.jpg

This is supposed to be a Bhut Jolokia plant but I'm starting to doubt that lol I'm still gonna grow it and see what kind of peppers it produces.

dsc06864t.jpg

Yellow pear tomato:

dsc06862.jpg

I fed them all around the same time (+- a few days) so in about 2 weeks I'll feed them some fish emulsion. Meanwhile my peat pH is on the alkaline side so I'll be giving them aluminum sulfate with the next watering.

Enjoy!

Back