smokers New toy. Cheap azzzz gas smoker

Ended up with S.B.Ray's honey and chipotle BBQ sauce/ apple cider vinegar half half with sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper and garlic.

Next time round I'm gonna try a Cambodian style mop/glaze with palm sugar, fish sauce, garlic and black pepper.

grantmichaels said:
that's what i make ... mirin, shiaxang or whatever, dark soy, grade b or brown sugar, and fresh ginger ... plus jhp powder. sometimes i add marmalade instead of the syrup/sug ...

Sounds good. Orange marmalade on chicken = win.

Deathtosnails said:
Next time round I'm gonna try a Cambodian style mop/glaze with palm sugar, fish sauce, garlic and black pepper.

Oh yeah. With naam phrik khao soi (chili paste with soybean oil). Like the pok pok wings basically what you just posted.

Grant, here's the secret (no more) recipe:
http://www.pdxmonthly.com/articles/2013/10/1/make-pok-poks-famous-wings-at-home-october-2013

Half an hour after first mop/glaze.  Flipped it skin side down to let the liquids pool on top and work their way down.  One more mop/glaze in an hour then let it bark up until pull time.
Already got some good colour compared to 6 hours naked.  Btw smoke is hickory chunk.

P9202787_zps7vvvojtn.jpg

So...went the Camodian style caramelised pepper pork (Koh saich ch'rook)

Real palm sugar.  Reduced palm sap over a hardwood fire makes for a distinticve flavour.  Soft and crumbly texture with a smoky note.
P9262794_zpsdqt8k3sf.jpg

Made a brine from the ingredients I'd normally cook pork belly in to make Koh.
Water, fish sauce (3 crabs brand), palm sugar, fresh garlic and Kampot pepper.  Mortar and pestle then strain.  3/4 cup to inject, 1/4 cup to mop.

P9262796_zpswnmlxqcy.jpg

Injectamundo to one pork shoulder

P9262798_zpsixyspmu2.jpg

Moppped at hour 8. 10 hours total cook to get to internal temp of 91 C (196 F)
Smoked with hickory chunk.

P9262800_zpskmkzpmzh.jpg

Pulled with some smoked birds eye chilli.  Dunno what I'm gonna do with it yet...

P9262803_zpscejj3qsv.jpg

Awesome! That's one pulled pork I want to eat right from the plate, no sammie, no sauce no nothing! I would want to taste that process and flavors... wow.

Deathtosnails said:
Dunno what I'm gonna do with it yet...

Asian slaw topper, on a sweet roll. 

Leg of lamb bone in low n slow over smoke.

Injected a marinade of lemon juice, lemon zest, bay leaf, rosemary, garlic, black pepper and 1 Tbs fish sauce.
Except for the garlic, all fresh from the garden
PA022811_zps4huvbchb.jpg

Made a paste of the herbs and pepper in the mortar and pestle.  Added lemon juice, fish sauce and 1 Tbs evoo.  Injected about 80 ml all up.
PA022812_zpslnjaasch.jpg

This is the strained solids mixed with evoo and harrissa paste that will become the mop/glaze later with natural yoghurt added last mop/glaze last hour.
Gonna go for IT 91C/196F same as pork.

PA022813_zpslps0iwsr.jpg

What wood smoke though???!!!

Dunno yet...

Wow what a great find! Putting it to good use too, looks like you've already gotten more than your money's worth.

My Aldi never sells anything that awesome  :evil:

Back