• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

fermenting New fresh sauces and want to ferment

Hello all! Let me start by saying I have nailed the making of fresh sauces by cooking chopped peppers in vinegar then blending it all with fresh garlic, salt and pepper. Pretty simple stuff that has received awesome results from family, friends and fans of my blog and hot wings. I believe they are good enough to sell but I will always keep experimenting with them as new peppers and/or ideas come my way. I post a few pictures here:

photo9.jpg

255821_207140899323090_104034596300388_494421_2072255_o.jpg

My question to all you sauce gurus is what is the best method for fermenting? I have attempted this with a jar of chopped jalapenos which I kept sealed in a mason jar for about 6 months. All I did was add a layer of salt to the top and sealed the jar. Obviously this wasn't enough because they didnt do a whole lot of anything. Very little liquid was present at the bottom, so I proceded to make sauce with it using my above method. It came out no better than using fresh peppers. I later heard that jalapenos won't ferment very well? Not too sure if that is true or not but after some brief research, I see that I did the whole thing wrong.

Please correct me if all of this sounds dumb but I wanted to research before asking "How do I ferment peppers?" like some noob. :) I have found 3 methods that I'd like to give a go here soon with some fresnos and habs. For the starter, do this:

1. Make a starter with some flour, sugar, water and yeast. Mix these all together and let sit for 3 to 5 days. What doesn't settle and is left as a layer on top is the hooch everyone talks about. This is what you use to add to your peppers to boost the fermentation but not the actual bottom mix.

2. Mix a sourdough starter mix pack that you can find at the grocery store and add to your peppers.

3. Buy a thing of yogurt and let warm to room temp. What has settled to the top is your hooch that you add to your peppers.

OK, with that said, is this what I should do? Chop up peppers and garlic. Add salt and pepper and one of the starters mentioned above? Do I need to add carrots or onions or any other veggie? Seal and store for 3 to 12 months?

All feeback will be greatly appreciated!!

Hi Burn, :welcome: to the forum.

If your just wanting to try fermenting peppers the yogurt whey, not hooch, method is simple to do. If your wanting to ferment peppers from now on then making a Sourdough Starter is the way to go to always have some hooch on hand to kick off a fermentation. I have done both and there is really no difference in the final product taste wise using one versus the other. Also I happen to love Sourdough Bread. For a Sourdough starter I make one a little differently:

Boil a small potato and a small onion, don’t remove the skin, till the potato is ready to fall apart. When done cool some and remove onion skin and root end. pout all into a blender and puree.

In a clean bowl place 2 cups of flour, 1 package or yeast or 3 tsp if using bulk yeast and pour in the puree. Mix till smooth adding a little water if needed to get it to the consistency of pancake batter. Let this sit on the counter, place something under it incase it boils over, for a week. After 2 days you’ll need to feed it. Give it ½ cup flour and ½ cup of water. Then after that every other day give it 2 Tbs Flour and 2 Tbs water. When it’s settled into it’s bubbling and not trying to bubble over on you, you can move it into the fridge. After a couple of days in there you have enough hooch to start a batch.

I ferment in an old Mount Olive gallon size glass pickle jar and use about ¼ cup of hooch to a batch. If your going to do just a quart or so I’d say a couple of tablespoons of hooch would do.

I usually put everything for the sauce I’m making into the fermentation jar. If I have a lot a sugary ingredients though I might leave some out till the cooking phase. For instance in making the Jamaican Hot Sauce, there’s a thread for it, I left out the pineapple. I though that more sugar would only make for an even more aggressive fermentation and I wanted a bit of sweetness in the final sauce. For the ingredients you listed IMHO I’d add to it some sweet onion and carrots, important for the consistency of the sauce. You didn’t say anything about what peppers you were using this time, different peppers lend themselves to different flavors, or what kind, sweet versus savory you were going for so I’m not sure what else to suggest.

Cheers,
RM

Edit: Love the label, Henhh he said burn, henhh henhh Yeah Burn!

Nice graphics!!

I'm a newbie to this process and would also benefit from all positive feedback as well. This is certainly on my "to do" list, but the problem is finding the time to do it. When it's done right they say there is a noticeable difference in taste and flavor. It would be nice to find some samples to try out and see for myself. Great post, I will follow.

Good luck!!

Thank you so much, RocketMan! I have read some of your posts on here and they are entertaining as well as informative. Kudos to your efforts for educating everyone here on your processes and experiments! I really love this forum and posters, such as yourself, make it a very warm place to learn how to bring the heat!

So far, I have only used a few kinds of peppers. The method is all the same but heat levels go like this:

Mild - 100% Fresno
Hot - 50% Fresno, 50% Habanero
Beyond Hot - 100% Habanero

I have also made a jalapeno sauce with the same method and it is outstanding on Mexican dishes. My friends gobble it up every time I make it. Same with the mild Fresno but only the true sauce lovers that I know can handle the others. When I make my wing sauce, I thicken it up with a dab of xanthan gum. I am looking to eliminate that in the future with a more natural ingredient but for now, it is doing the job. I have been told that the sauce needs to sweeten up some so I have added hot pepper jelly to the mix for the sweet. I personally don't like it but it has received great feedback as well.

I just made a new batch last night using a new strainer that isn't as fine as the one I have been using. The sauce is thicker and a tad more chunky with more black pepper flakes visual, as well as white dots of garlic. I think I like it better already and boy, is it HOT!

I will try your method some day here soon, upon my next purchase of a few lbs of peppers. My garden out back isn't fruiting yet but I should have tons of peppers within a month. I'll soon be adding tabasco, cayenne and bhut jolokias to my list of sauces. I also make a killer salsa! Thanks for the tips and taking the time to educate us further!

-Kmart

Sounds like you have a nice mix there. You'll find that the taste is going to really kick up when you ferment. Sweetness will come in part because with fermenting there is usually no need to add vinegar unless you like the taste of it and you will use less when you do.

For added sweetness I try to stay to using natural fruit sweetness but would also look at things like Agave Nectar or other natural ingredients.

I haven’t used any Xanthan gum in my sauces. I think that the carrots I use help to take care of that and to get a smooth consistency I run my sauce through the blender twice. So it would be a Ferment, cook, blend, cook, blend, heat to 190 for 15 minutes, test ph is 4 or less, bottle.

I’m glad you have enjoyed my posts. It is fun to do.

I too have heard that the more 'mild peppers' ie) Jalapenos don't ferment well. I have never tried fermenting them so I am not sure but it is probably because they are less acidic than your hotter peppers. So I would think adding more salt would up the acidic level to a safe level but don't take my word for it. I never just add salt to the top but mix it in well with the mash, but I also puree my peppers pretty fine.

wanna keep it simple without any starters? take your peppers and puree them into a mash and add your salt, for Habaneros I add 6% by weight of peppers and puree another little while. put the mash into your fermenting jar, I use a large pickle jar, and lightly screw on the lid so gases produced by the process can escape. for the first 10 or so days you will likely need to stir your mash a couple times a day so the solids stay submerged in the juices. once the fermentation slows and the solids stay below the juice line I stir a couple times a week.

It's nice n simple, gets the job done well and no need to worry about making a starter that will only maybe slightly speed things up by a few days.

Morning, yep I've heard the same thing about low heat peppers but have never tried to mash just let's say Jalapeños. I like to mash my whole recipe together and I'm usually blending a couple of peppers together.

I dont think that it's an acid level issue though. Fermentation is accomplished by the lactobacillus bacteria that we inject into our mash by use of a starter or by collecting through the use of adding salt to prevent the bad stuff from getting in, eating the sugars that are in the ingredients. They then poop Lactic Acid, which is why we don't need to add vinegar to the mix, and fart CO2, which collects in the air space below the cap and helps to keep the mash clean. That's why I never open the lid until a fermentation cycle is finished. Air let's in the bad bugs we dont want. So for a slow fermentation couldn't we just add some sugar to the mix and have happy buggies? Well, yes we could and that's part of the reason why I add everything to my mash. If the peppers don't have much sugar content then I know that the carrots do a d if you want to see a really crazy active fermentation add some fruit purée to it.

If you want to know more about the science behind it all any book on homebrewing will help to explain fermentation. Just replace Lactic Acid where you see alcohol. There is a really good book by John Palmer that you can find free online as a PDF file.

+1 to Jonny5 for his method to ferment without a starter. Sounds like a good one. I would only add the I would probably swrill around the jar instead of opening it to stir so that I didn't loose my CO2 once I had the lid on and starting it I would cover the mouth of the jar with a couple of layers of cheese cloth and a band to hold them in place. This would allow for an air exchange so the lactobacillus could enter the mash better. As we have added the salt to bring down the ph to a level where the bad stuff can't live there are no worries about an infestation.

Also, if during the fermentation you see a layer of white stuff on the top like this:

33eb022d.jpg

Don't worry thats just the lactobacillus showing itself and not an infection.

Cheers,
RM

The biggest issue with me if I were to not open my jar to stir is that my solids, even though I puree my mash very fine, rise so much outta the liquid that I come within an inch or 2 of the top of the jar, and to get the solids back down I have to stir it with a large sterile plastic spoon. After the fermentation slows though I could then use a cheese cloth over the top. But why do many use a air stopper where it prevents any air into the fermentation vessel but lets the gas byproducts out?

Burnmymouth you said you sealed your Jalapenos in a jar? so do you mean you bottled em like you would other veggies?

oh and yep Rocketman that is the same brand of pickle jar I use too ha :beer:

Thats cool Jonny, yeah I have 3 of them and after today all 3 will be going. So far as the mash rising mine does the same thing. I don't worry about it much though as there is no oxygen in the air space. It's CO2 and so nothing is going to happen to the mash. I will give it a shake or a swrill which helps to settle them back down but one of the best sauces I ever made the liquid level was low and I didn't touch it for 30 days. That was when I added enough water to cover the veggies.

Cheers,
RM

Hey Burnmymouth.. Nice range. Im of a similar mindset to you.. just spent the last 12 months playing with recipes.. methods, ingredients, process, time, retest, back to the drawing board.... now, bottling with an intent to sell.
Question, not so much on the recipes, but moreso your bottling.. but more specific your seals.
The black shrink seals on the tops of your bottles... (img link below). Where'd you get them from ?
Im in Australia and short of having to buy > 500 meters of each size for different bottles, I can't find them anywhere.....

Any info would be appreciated.

(note This is my first post, but looking at this forum, definitely wont be my last).

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e316/beav420/255821_207140899323090_104034596300388_494421_2072255_o.jpg

Hey Burnmymouth.. Nice range. Im of a similar mindset to you.. just spent the last 12 months playing with recipes.. methods, ingredients, process, time, retest, back to the drawing board.... now, bottling with an intent to sell.
Question, not so much on the recipes, but moreso your bottling.. but more specific your seals.
The black shrink seals on the tops of your bottles... (img link below). Where'd you get them from ?
Im in Australia and short of having to buy > 500 meters of each size for different bottles, I can't find them anywhere.....

Any info would be appreciated.

(note This is my first post, but looking at this forum, definitely wont be my last).

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e316/beav420/255821_207140899323090_104034596300388_494421_2072255_o.jpg

Hi Jase! Thanks for the comments! I got my bottles at Fillmore Container My linkwhich offers the shrink wrap and dripper caps. I did a lot of research online and these were the cheapest I could find. Shipping is a nightmare for these because of the weight. Hope this helps!

:shocked:

Um that's Beavis and Butthead™

Gotta change that.

People, people!! It's all good! I am not selling these sauces, yet. When I do I already have my name and logo in mind, URL purchased and drawing in the work. The Beavis and Butthead image is from my blog. The stickers were made to promote it during a local hot wing festival and were perfect for "temporary" labels on my project sauces. My blog is non-profit which is within the trademark laws. Until someone tells me otherwise, that is the way it will stay and if it ever becomes a money maker with sponsors and what-not, the image will be changed. :)

I suggest going to the supermarket, drug store or health food store ... and buy lactic acid fermenting bacteria ... like Probiotic Acidophilus Xtra ... like $6 for 60 caplets.

I dissolved three caplets in distilled water ... bingo ... millions and millions of the correct bugs to do the job ...

My Harsch pot has weights to keep the mash under the brine line ... I've seen glass marbles and beads used as weights also ...

Good luck ...

Back